Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised - current HS players aren't likely to move since they're already recruited or getting there. GDA is unproven and certainly the club situation in this case is very murky. If GDA becomes #1 it won't happen over night
    I keep reading this "unproven" thing. Unproven as to what?

Comment

Fury trials email sent from Riley to Alby girls were forwarded to ECNL. Not shocked, but this is another huge demerit for Alby and they already have more than EM (recruiting, field issues, etc)

Comment

As to whether or not it will succeed, be a better development track, improve the NT, become the #1 recruiting shopping spot for college coaches, cost less than ECNL, will diversify the talent pool....need other question marks or is that enough?

Comment

Unproven as to being the "top league" with "top talent" etc., you know, the whole kool aid schpeal that the early adopters have been gulping.

From what I've heard, Fury is doing ok-some key players, Alby ECNL'ers and disgruntled East Meadow divas and their annoying parents. LISC tryouts are heavy with delusional Massapequa kids, who can't even cut it in a low level league like NPL but think because Massapequa is a "member club" they belong on a GDA team, lol.

Comment

Unproven as to being the "top league" with "top talent" etc., you know, the whole kool aid schpeal that the early adopters have been gulping.

From what I've heard, Fury is doing ok-some key players, Alby ECNL'ers and disgruntled East Meadow divas and their annoying parents. LISC tryouts are heavy with delusional Massapequa kids, who can't even cut it in a low level league like NPL but think because Massapequa is a "member club" they belong on a GDA team, lol.
            Pretty much spot on!

Comment

I just dont see any of that as relevant. Top league etc are all going to be based on perception. It is certainly a far better vehicle for my child to develop further than the ECNL is. In that respect it needs to prove nothing to me.

Thats all I am concerned about.

Comment

I just dont see any of that as relevant. Top league etc are all going to be based on perception. It is certainly a far better vehicle for my child to develop further than the ECNL is. In that respect it needs to prove nothing to me.

But that's the question! You say "it is certainly a far better vehicle for my child to develop further than ECNL". Based on what??? What they're selling?

On paper, my child training 4x a week with a bunch of kids from a kick and run Massapequa team under an unnamed coach, is no way better for her development than her training 3x a week with her club team and once a week with a supplemental (ODP/PDP).

Comment

My take: The 25 women's college soccer teams will be recruiting GDA. The mid and lower D1s will continue to recruit from ECNL. Unless a GDA stud wants to go to a specific school that is top notch academically but not soccer wise (think Va Tech, Vanderbilt, Furman, etc), the GDA gals will get recruited by the likes of ND, PSU, UVa, etc. If I wanted my kid to go to a D1 school and play soccer, I'd keep her in ECNL as I think that is where the majority of the coaches will go.

Having said that, the new "dead" period has radically changed the girls Disney Showcase and ECNL Sanford. No longer back to back. No longer 1 1/2 weeks for coaches to visit sunny FL and recruit (and allow their families to have a nice long vacation too). Now two separate trips. The question is which tournament will now see the most coaches???

Comment

^^That should be Top 25 ^^ typing carelessly :)

Comment

No because much of how well your daughter develops depends on the club and the coaches, not the league. Some of the GDA clubs are garbage. If the GDA club nearest you is good, then lucky you. But that won't be the case for all. Nor will each club be able to attract the best players.

As always families should pick what works best for their players and their goals, but it won't always be whatever the "top" league is.

Comment

My take: The 25 women's college soccer teams will be recruiting GDA. The mid and lower D1s will continue to recruit from ECNL. Unless a GDA stud wants to go to a specific school that is top notch academically but not soccer wise (think Va Tech, Vanderbilt, Furman, etc), the GDA gals will get recruited by the likes of ND, PSU, UVa, etc. If I wanted my kid to go to a D1 school and play soccer, I'd keep her in ECNL as I think that is where the majority of the coaches will go.

Having said that, the new "dead" period has radically changed the girls Disney Showcase and ECNL Sanford. No longer back to back. No longer 1 1/2 weeks for coaches to visit sunny FL and recruit (and allow their families to have a nice long vacation too). Now two separate trips. The question is which tournament will now see the most coaches???
                        Even if GDA becomes #1 it won't ever fill all the roster spots that need filling each year. So yes many top programs will concentrate on GDA but they'll still look elsewhere - just like now not all top programs shop exclusively ECNL. They shop for players, so a well trained player can still get recruited, just with more effort.

Disney is going to crash in importance. Coaches will do GDA and ECNL. Cramming Disney into Thanksgiving weekend also won't sit well - it's also an insanely expensive time to travel, the travel window is very tight compared to xmas.

Comment

No because much of how well your daughter develops depends on the club and the coaches, not the league. Some of the GDA clubs are garbage. If the GDA club nearest you is good, then lucky you. But that won't be the case for all. Nor will each club be able to attract the best players.

As always families should pick what works best for their players and their goals, but it won't always be whatever the "top" league is.
                          This is particularly true this first year...a variety of factors should be taken into account, especially if the depth of the team is not there.

Comment

Even if GDA becomes #1 it won't ever fill all the roster spots that need filling each year. So yes many top programs will concentrate on GDA but they'll still look elsewhere - just like now not all top programs shop exclusively ECNL. They shop for players, so a well trained player can still get recruited, just with more effort.

Disney is going to crash in importance. Coaches will do GDA and ECNL. Cramming Disney into Thanksgiving weekend also won't sit well - it's also an insanely expensive time to travel, the travel window is very tight compared to xmas.
                            New Years in FL is ridiculously expensive too. Rental car prices are sky high. We discovered flying to Savannah and driving to Orlando was much cheaper than going into Orlando directly. A couple of hours in a car is well worth the $$ saved.

Comment

I guess if colleges want a limit their choice to a bunch of upper income kids that will work.

Comment

Agreed, terrible timing decision with Disney. If the supposed point of the dead period was so that college coaches could have some down time after the season and not have to travel during holidays, Thanksgiving makes sense to anyone how?

I'm so annoyed, I have really great memories from the Disney tournament with my older 2 who are both playing in college. Now, who knows? If I were a coach, I'd forego Disney and just head to CASL the next week...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X