Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    DO NOT get suckered into competitive soccer! Every holiday and most weekends will be spent with strangers away from home. Then before you know it, your girl is grown, and you no longer can get that time back. Your time is better spend letting her play locally in a recreational league, and then focus on academics, and other local activities. Holidays should be spent with family, as you can never get that time back.

Sincerely,
    A parent that has learned the hard way
    I guess I'll have to admit, I may be the only one (seems like from the responses) that feels the same way as you at times, that we are putting too much into this but on the other hand it depends on you if it is wasted time or not. You (anyone) have to make sure that it is a good time and not a stressful situation that the parent and the kids grow tired from. It is a struggle with the constant issues with the less that qualified coaches and the poor decision making, the parents that wine and scream on the sidelines and and and .. but at the end it's all about how you make it to be for your kid.

So poster, why was your time wasted??

Comment

I am not taking sides with the original post because what is best for their kid and is best for another is not going to be the same. That being said, youth soccer season is longer than it needs to be, especially at the u-14 and under level. Kids that age should have more time to try other sports or different activities. I also don't see why they need to travel so much at that age for tournaments. Why drive for hours spend $500 over a weekend to play teams not much better or sometimes the same team in your area? Even if the players might be good enough to play beyond HS at under 13 years old or younger nobody is watching these games that will effect that possible future.
      I think the reason the original post separated girls, is because there is no future as a player in soccer beyond college. If your daughter is an outstanding player, she might go on play d1 soccer have a decent 4 years and then it is done. So it is a choice do you give up a lot of different family experiences, besides what they get from soccer for a chance to play college soccer. Is soccer only the most important part of your daughter's life because she knows no different, the same reason why people are Christian or Jewish etc. I assume my daughter loves soccer, but before she was 7 she didn't think much of it. It just all of sudden became a big part of her time. No matter where it leads in the end I hope she and we as parents have no major regrets.

Comment

I am not taking sides with the original post because what is best for their kid and is best for another is not going to be the same. That being said, youth soccer season is longer than it needs to be, especially at the u-14 and under level. Kids that age should have more time to try other sports or different activities. I also don't see why they need to travel so much at that age for tournaments. Why drive for hours spend $500 over a weekend to play teams not much better or sometimes the same team in your area? Even if the players might be good enough to play beyond HS at under 13 years old or younger nobody is watching these games that will effect that possible future.
        I think the reason the original post separated girls, is because there is no future as a player in soccer beyond college. If your daughter is an outstanding player, she might go on play d1 soccer have a decent 4 years and then it is done. So it is a choice do you give up a lot of different family experiences, besides what they get from soccer for a chance to play college soccer. Is soccer only the most important part of your daughter's life because she knows no different, the same reason why people are Christian or Jewish etc. I assume my daughter loves soccer, but before she was 7 she didn't think much of it. It just all of sudden became a big part of her time. No matter where it leads in the end I hope she and we as parents have no major regrets.
        You are completely wrong about girls soccer ending when college ends. if so, you must say that for guys too as their prospects of doing much beyond college are slim too. But there are options, and many kids continue with soccer, as trainers, coaches, etc. it can be the beginning of a career. Don't pursue sports in college because it is going to end there? stupid response. You might as well say don't play a musical instrument in school because you'll never play at the Philharmonic.

To another poster, we saw friends recently whose kids played with ours in middle school. the kids are juniors/seniors now. His kid changed sports from soccer to track a year or so back, and while they love track, they say they really miss those long car rides, especially now his kid is older... when he really could use a long car ride. Those talks don't come easy and when you have hours to spend in close quarters... He was just reminding us not to take those rides for granted.

Comment

The alternative to competitive soccer may not be what you wish for, my daughters both played thru HS and on Friday and Saturday nights when their friends were at parties drinking and smoking dope my kids were at home due to the respect they had for their teammates and responsibility to play well the next day, most of the girls we saw stop playing starting getting into trouble with to much time on their hands, both girls now doing well in college, and I wouldn't trade those times with them for anything

Comment

Next, you'll probably be telling me that my wife has been sleeping with the coach and my daughter is a lesbian.......because of soccer. Merry Christmas, buttmunch.
            Sorry to hear about your troubles but a person does have thr right to be themselves and not what your view of society should be. As for your wife either it was not meant to be or you were not taking care of business. I love girls soccer and think it is great.

Comment

DO NOT get suckered into competitive soccer! Every holiday and most weekends will be spent with strangers away from home. Then before you know it, your girl is grown, and you no longer can get that time back. Your time is better spend letting her play locally in a recreational league, and then focus on academics, and other local activities. Holidays should be spent with family, as you can never get that time back.

Sincerely,
              My kids' soccer is just ending. Son playing intramural in College, daughter with full "4" year ride in a Div 1 out of state tuition college. Absolutely cost a small fortune over the years but nothing prohibitive yearly. Kept both kids well structured and healthy...and HAPPY! Hope I'm still around to cycle through again with grandchildren.

Comment

My kids' soccer is just ending. Son playing intramural in College, daughter with full "4" year ride in a Div 1 out of state tuition college. Absolutely cost a small fortune over the years but nothing prohibitive yearly. Kept both kids well structured and healthy...and HAPPY! Hope I'm still around to cycle through again with grandchildren.
                understand that soccer continued to be a large part of their college experience, one going intramural, another varsity, but when you say 4, does that mean she signed contracts each year (totalling 4 yr) at 100%, or she was given initially a 4 yr contract? not sure the later is ncaa legal?

Comment

It is clear to see that you ignored your sons development so daddys little mia can have all the trainers, all the camps, and of course all the attention and you think you r going to have grandkids?

Roll Tide.

Comment

You are completely wrong about girls soccer ending when college ends. if so, you must say that for guys too as their prospects of doing much beyond college are slim too. But there are options, and many kids continue with soccer, as trainers, coaches, etc. it can be the beginning of a career. Don't pursue sports in college because it is going to end there? stupid response. You might as well say don't play a musical instrument in school because you'll never play at the Philharmonic.
                    I wrote a future as a player. Although I agree the chances for men to play beyond college is very small too, but for women it is not even comparable. There are very few professional teams for women, and even if you make those almost the complete majority do not earn enough to make a living from it. Also in my original post I never said some one should or should not do anything. Lets be realistic though, there is playing an instrument in school for the enjoyment and experience, and than there those who it is their passion and study music in school and do it from a living. Just as there are those whose kids play soccer at the YMCA and there are those whose parents spend $1000s of dollars in club and travel fees and personal trainers etc. They are not paying that money just so their kid can enjoy soccer, but are doing so because they believe their kid wants to play beyond HS. I have no problem with that. Even if they do make it to college they will only last their if they really love it because to play sports at college is a tremendous sacrifice to your time to study and socialize. I just feel as I stated in my first post, that in my opinion it can be too much too soon for those U13 and bellow.

Comment

Why would it be limited to girls only? Same time and effort spent on boys soccer, no? Everyone has their own reasons for playing travel and everyone is entitled to their opinions. I will respect your opinion.

Just from another point of view, being that I don't have blood family here, my family considers our soccer family--family--and don't mind spending time with them. We look forward to some of those long weekends.
                      You're delusional! Those parents aren't your family or friends; they are just as happy to see you leave, so little Johnny can get little Billy's spot, or have you ever seen bench families jump up with anticipation when someone gets hurt.....its disgusting!

When it is all over, you will not hear a peep from 99.9% of your, "Soccer friends, and so called, soccer family!"

Comment

You're delusional! Those parents aren't your family or friends; they are just as happy to see you leave, so little Johnny can get little Billy's spot, or have you ever seen bench families jump up with anticipation when someone gets hurt.....its disgusting!

When it is all over, you will not hear a peep from 99.9% of your, "Soccer friends, and so called, soccer family!"
                        another troll heard from on TS.

Comment

There is no perfect choice!

I am sad to read your post because you are apparently filled with deep regret.

To play a serious travel sport any boy or girl will have to make a very deep commitment.
                          We all agree with that fact.

I do feel that this commitment is not for everyone and most likely that was the case for you. Maybe your child didn't "love it", or she wasn't a top player, or she had other interests.

Another major factor for families is the expense. Due to the financial commitment which some people simply can not afford many families are struggling. Maybe it isn't wise for some to continue.

The point is that there is no "one size fits all".

My daughter has had an amazing experience while in my opinion others on the team are wasting their time and money due to many of the factors that I list above.

I truly hope that you can move on from your regrets in life as it relates to travel soccer.

But I also applaud those that truly enjoy the whole experience!

Sincerely,

Comment

Sincerely,
                            Don't blame your personal mistakes on soccer! If you did not get to spend quality time with your daughter while she played competitive soccer then shame on you! It sounds like you did not travel with your daughter and you did not know the other parents from her team by calling them "strangers". Our travel experiences were some of the best experiences of our lives for the past decade.

My daughter loves soccer, she loves the travel, and she loved when we traveled as a family. It was very rare if we did not travel with her, which was mainly when she was U17 or U18 and flying to an event with her team. The entire youth soccer experience was priceless and we would not change a thing, nor would she. When she spoke at her college signing at her high school, she mentioned that she loved that we spent that time together as a family and thanked us for the sacrifices we made to help her achieve her goals as a player and a student. She never mentioned that she wished she could have that time back to spend it another way.

On your next post, you may want to say, "In my opinion", instead of "DO NOT" get suckered into playing competitive soccer because every reply to your post has been negative towards your post and view. Sounds like you need to look in the mirror because I do not think competitive soccer had anything to do with your missing your daughter growing up!

Comment

I am sad to read your post because you are apparently filled with deep regret.

To play a serious travel sport any boy or girl will have to make a very deep commitment.
                              We all agree with that fact.

I do feel that this commitment is not for everyone and most likely that was the case for you. Maybe your child didn't "love it", or she wasn't a top player, or she had other interests.

Another major factor for families is the expense. Due to the financial commitment which some people simply can not afford many families are struggling. Maybe it isn't wise for some to continue.

The point is that there is no "one size fits all".

My daughter has had an amazing experience while in my opinion others on the team are wasting their time and money due to many of the factors that I list above.

I truly hope that you can move on from your regrets in life as it relates to travel soccer.

But I also applaud those that truly enjoy the whole experience!
                              This is a good sums up. We know most of the parents hate your daughter just for the fact that she is not their daughter and they will do anything from bad mouthing her and you to telling their kids not to pass to her. However, you will meet some normal parents be it that their kids are stars to support players who root for everyone and realize that the experience is not trying to get a scholarship or win the game, that the experience is the experience.

Only suggestions are to stay away from parent coaches or coaches who only prefer white girls over Spanish kids or latino kids over white girls. Those coaches are trouble. Stay away from a coach that brings a team over for he may never give your daughter a chance and then go out of his way to put her down to falsely show why your daughter should not play and only pay no matter how good to great she may be.

Other then that it will be a great ride with many wonderful shared experiences with normal parents and girls from normal parents. You would also be surprised how many girls wish their parents were more normal with the sport as well. The right coach and enough good parents = a truly exceptional experience.

Comment

Don't blame your personal mistakes on soccer! If you did not get to spend quality time with your daughter while she played competitive soccer then shame on you! It sounds like you did not travel with your daughter and you did not know the other parents from her team by calling them "strangers". Our travel experiences were some of the best experiences of our lives for the past decade.

My daughter loves soccer, she loves the travel, and she loved when we traveled as a family. It was very rare if we did not travel with her, which was mainly when she was U17 or U18 and flying to an event with her team. The entire youth soccer experience was priceless and we would not change a thing, nor would she. When she spoke at her college signing at her high school, she mentioned that she loved that we spent that time together as a family and thanked us for the sacrifices we made to help her achieve her goals as a player and a student. She never mentioned that she wished she could have that time back to spend it another way.

On your next post, you may want to say, "In my opinion", instead of "DO NOT" get suckered into playing competitive soccer because every reply to your post has been negative towards your post and view. Sounds like you need to look in the mirror because I do not think competitive soccer had anything to do with your missing your daughter growing up!
                                How did your other kids feel with all of the travel where there days, weekends and holidays were wasted for they had to watch the favorite child.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X