Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The real problem is the logistics of having an "Elite" DA league in a country this big. Unfortunately, our geography necessitates the abundance of DA teams that we currently have, which waters down the concentration of talent. Youth teams taking flights to weekly league games is never going to happen.

I think ideally there needs to be multiple (say 6-8) residential academies set up in one or two small regions in the country, maybe CA and NY-Philly area? All the best players in the country would gravitate to these two regions and academies would be close enough so that the travel for league play wouldn't be too costly or time consuming. Yes, you'll miss out on a lot of players who don't want to leave home, but at least there will be some sort of concentration of very strong players, rather than the severely watered down mess we have now where the best players are spread so far and wide that they rarely get a chance to play with or compete against one another.

I still can't for the life of me figure out why US Soccer tossed the U17 residential program in Florida. That was one thing they had been doing right, gathering a group of very strong players and having them live and train together for a year of two while playing with the YNT.
    The bottom line from any right minded soccer coach or parent in the US has to do is look at the last 12 years of the DA system for boys and see that it has not worked. Now I’m the Girls DA system (yes it’s in it’s infancy) you should be very weary of the results it will produce when it’s following the exact same formula the boys program has. Euro soccer heads can say all they want about American soccer being inferior- however- the model we had with our USNT being a selection of college all stars worked and we were competitive. This gold cup is going to be a disaster for USA soccer DA if the women win the WC while the men fail to advance in the first round.

Comment

The bottom line from any right minded soccer coach or parent in the US has to do is look at the last 12 years of the DA system for boys and see that it has not worked. Now I’m the Girls DA system (yes it’s in it’s infancy) you should be very weary of the results it will produce when it’s following the exact same formula the boys program has. Euro soccer heads can say all they want about American soccer being inferior- however- the model we had with our USNT being a selection of college all stars worked and we were competitive. This gold cup is going to be a disaster for USA soccer DA if the women win the WC while the men fail to advance in the first round.
      I was under impression that the U20 MNT team exceeded expectations at the World Cup. Why would that be a failure of the DA?

Comment

More proof da isn't working

I was under impression that the U20 MNT team exceeded expectations at the World Cup. Why would that be a failure of the DA?
        Its like sandbagging....putting yourself in a lower division so you can "exceed expectations"....Or lower requirements and/or standards for passing tests so your school looks better on paper....this crap happens all the time.

Comment

I guess it depends on the expectations. Two wins were Qatar and Nigeria. France was a bigger win. But then they lost to Ecuador who finished 3rd overall. Unlike in the past more of these players are playing professionally instead of college. That is what is needed. College soccer is a developmental dead end. All of their competition is playing professionally. But MLS competition vs international? Ocean sized gulf.

Comment

I guess it depends on the expectations. Two wins were Qatar and Nigeria. France was a bigger win. But then they lost to Ecuador who finished 3rd overall. Unlike in the past more of these players are playing professionally instead of college. That is what is needed. College soccer is a developmental dead end. All of their competition is playing professionally. But MLS competition vs international? Ocean sized gulf.
            The USA U20 & U18 programs always compete well at the international level. That’s like bragging about your JV team goes 15-1 each year while your varsity team is 8-8 each year. The reason the u20 teams do well is because the best 18 & 20 year olds for Germany, Spain, Holland, England, Portugal, etc... are playing up on their National Team level. Just like a jv team that wins 15 games per year, they are playing programs where the best sophomores and freshman are already playing varsity. You can claim college is a dead end all you like but the facts of when the USMNT was competitive was using the college pipeline. The WNT has always used the college pipeline and they are still the best in the world. You tell Anson Dorrance that college soccer is a dead end!

Comment

The USA U20 & U18 programs always compete well at the international level. That’s like bragging about your JV team goes 15-1 each year while your varsity team is 8-8 each year. The reason the u20 teams do well is because the best 18 & 20 year olds for Germany, Spain, Holland, England, Portugal, etc... are playing up on their National Team level. Just like a jv team that wins 15 games per year, they are playing programs where the best sophomores and freshman are already playing varsity. You can claim college is a dead end all you like but the facts of when the USMNT was competitive was using the college pipeline. The WNT has always used the college pipeline and they are still the best in the world. You tell Anson Dorrance that college soccer is a dead end!
              It's at those ages that the above sized gulf begins to grow. Internationally other players are playing professionally as they usually sign with clubs around 16 or so; here they're' still in DA for two years then some play MLS (agreed, not very good) or play in college. The gaps just grow bigger each year after 19+

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X