Seattle United ECNL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't lie. My kids have been on the receiving end of being denied a higher level team. It happens. On the surface it can sometimes seem like there were ulterior motives or the team had been pre-determined. It's human nature and, frankly, much easier to justify it to ourselves and kids by saying the system is rigged somehow. It's hard to admit that our kids simply didn't make the cut. But, as I stated in an earlier post, simply contact the coach and ask. In our situations the explanations (mostly.....not always) made sense. Sometimes it's simply the small things that kept your child out (I also said in my earlier post that it certainly doesn't mean your child is a bad player). It didn't stop the tears or my child from being disappointed but, I tell you what, it lit a fire under them training wise. They were better (eventually) because of it. But, it does hurt at the time. Pretty bad.

This is top level soccer. At least, it's supposed to be. Yes, they're kids. But, it's top level soccer...….it can be cutthroat. It's supposed to be preparing them for College athletics and/or above, if they choose to go that far. If you don't make the cut at that level you're certainly let go. If you're not prepared to take the potential for rejection you simply shouldn't be having your child play. These are life experiences. How they (and we) deal with them are the key.

Just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      ***ALERT***
      These are “TRY OUTS” - not everyone makes it. What will become of these kids that never fail or experience disappointment? Get a grip people. There are recreational leagues and everyone gets a spot, might be what you are looking for!!
      Generally, a borderline top-level player who tries out and fails to make the A club at a team, will be offered a spot on the B team, and here things get interesting:

If the club has a strong B team, this might be a good idea. His/her development might actually be better served in this environment, especially if there is a good coach.

If, on the other hand, the B team is sub-Presidents Cup level, then looking for another club might be a better idea.

The problem is--all the other clubs have had tryouts too, and probably given away all of their spots, and may not be interested in a player who was unhappy with their placement elsewhere (or may only offer a spot on the lowest team). Some clubs will deliberately leave open spots on their rosters, potentially to be able to accommodate someone who decides to change clubs (or someone who moves into the area mid-season), but not all do.

Bottom line: If you aren't sure where in a club's pecking order your kid will land, don't just consider the characteristics of the A team.

Comment

Just thinking....where were the cut girls in the roster? Like bottom 1/3?
        If they were full-time starters, then I would be shocked and pissed.
        Did the core starters stay intact and it was more of the subs who were
        replaced?

Comment

I think this last one is a good one. However, I also would not want my son or daughter to play for Dunn at Surf. He was just too much at our club.

I thinking coaching is such a big deal, it would have influenced me if I were in that spot.

Comment

Just thinking....where were the cut girls in the roster? Like bottom 1/3?
            If they were full-time starters, then I would be shocked and pissed.
            Did the core starters stay intact and it was more of the subs who were
            replaced?
            My daughter plays for another SU team & what happened with ecnl was talked about in carpool. A player considered one of the best in the club & well liked by girls was moved to copa. Kids are shocked. Players the kids think are not as good added to ecnl.

Comment

Girls on the team are always the best judge of skill if they're being honest. No one else has that close up look at other players over time. I can't see surf A having 6+ ecnl level players, they were bottom of the table in rcl 1 so lesser players were probably added. And knowing rich Reese was strongly involved is also a red flag. Probably one of the most political people in the soccer system and zero eye for evaluating players

Comment

One day you will figure out sometimes it is who you know and not what you know....better the kids learn now since you missed the boat.

Comment

lol I'm betting this team gets crushed in ecnl next year. those sent down should stay ready. I'm sure TR will have a low tolerance for calling players up if they start the season poorly

Comment

xfire parent here. Played SU yesterday & heard a SU player who started game was one who got cut. Seems unbelievable.she played great.

Comment

I'll bet she played like she had something to prove lol
                      good for her that's the way to respond to something like this

Comment

Get it together people

I'm sure evaluating players in a tryout situation is tough, if it's a fair tryout. If you're already picked the team in advance, the only tough part is the tears from girls and the angry follow up emails from their parents

Clubs want loyalty. They all schedule their tryouts on the same day for a reason. Some clubs will cut kids if they dare to investigate their options in advance. Most clubs, including SU, give just enough warning to player to cover their own asses and to hedge their bets. Zero concern for screwing kids over in their main recruiting year. As someone said above, it's this kind of stuff that is the reason girls are leaving soccer and soccer participation is down overall in the US.
                        People need to learn facts before talking. Clubs schedule tryouts at the same time because it is mandated by WYS.

Comment

People need to learn facts before talking. Clubs schedule tryouts at the same time because it is mandated by WYS.
                          Wake up. A committee of guys from the clubs who work for an rcl committee decide when tryouts will be. There isn’t some separate wys deciding tryouts should all be at the same time because that would somehow be in the best interests of youth soccer in the state.

Comment

Important factoid, the RCL clubs are dictated as to the 'earliest' time they can have tryouts by WYS. There is nothing stopping clubs staggering their processes or going later than the said date. Instead what happens is the bigger clubs tell aspiring players that if they don't come to all of their tryouts they will not make it. This is a common scare tactic to prevent them from going to another tryout during the same week and being picked up by a rival club. If you are doing a good enough job then players will have a motivation to stay. Cornering a 12 year old on the field telling them (without their parents present) that they have to commit now or lose their spot isn't necessarily doing things with the players best interests at heart.

The RCL feeds on itself in a massively (and artificially) induced frenzy, it would be much better served coming up with a process that allowed a much more fluid player movement process. Make the league open to all affiliations in the US and let the market's decide what is good and what is not, that way players would be able to make choices without fear of being blackballed. But we know this would severely jeopardize the livelihoods of an old boys network that has been festering in Washington for decades.

Comment

Nothing about the tryout system or the process is designed to benefit players and families:

-If a player goes during the season to check out practice at another club, he/she will get cut. (Not just players checking out Reign -- SU has cut young players going to check out other clubs.)

-Clubs hedge their bets before tryouts. Pre-tryout "Evaluations" are not actual player feedback -- it's either confirmation players will make the team or a subtle warning that player is on the edge. Clubs won't directly tell players they should look elsewhere because the coaches don't know for sure what new players will show up for tryouts & they want to keep the revenue because they can move kids down and promise to help them move back up again (which rarely happens) At the same time, kids "on the bubble" sometimes make their desired teams, so how does a family know for sure when they should tryout elsewhere?

-tryouts all happen at the same time, so kids who are cut have no opportunity to go elsewhere

Parents are PAYING to have their kids screwed over. Very hard to be a smart consumer when the system is set up to screw over your kid.

Comment

One of the Crossfire ECNL teams picked up two players Seattle United cut

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X