Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Of course Sounders recruit, and some kids and families need some convincing before deciding whether it’s the best thing for their kid (and some conclude it isn’t).

Reign aren’t poaching or stealing kids. The kids and families who go there are making choices after considering their options, and Reign like any organization describes what it is doing and trying to do in a favorable light. Does the reality of every kid’s experience end up matching up with what they hoped for when they decided to go there? Of course not, as with any club or any experience in life, not everyone can get everything they want and that’s as true with 100% playing time or college offers as anything else. Are a significant majority of kids who are there and who have been there for a couple years happy with their choice and experience? Based on what my kid and her teammates say I’d say yes. Is the Reign only looking out for the ynt players and are only ynt players getting good college opportunities, getting opportunities to train with the first team, and getting a chance to train and compete with top players? Not at all. Is the program more expensive than others? Yes, particularly vis-a-vis XF (kids who are choosing Reign over XF are doing so for reasons other than cost). Are the higher costs because of some sort of subsidy of the first team? I don’t think so; I think it’s more that the Reign, with a smaller number of teams, and a technical director who doesn’t coach teams, is spending more per kid than other clubs on things like the technical director, operations manager, trainer, etc.

The negativity and hostility of a couple people on this anonymous message board— and of some people from other area clubs who have spent a lot of time this spring and mourning reign rather than minding their own houses— is over the top.
    No worries, mate. My house is in order and my kid is doing fine. I was there near
    beginning when their story and PR weren't fully dialed in, as it is now. I knew that
    this was not a good fit, so we passed. No sour grapes, as she would have been
    a ft starter if she joined. There were other issues.

I was rather shocked when KC told us the truth what GDA was all about.
    Find NT players. Almost of all of you won't make it, but can go to college,
    and like stuff. So truthful it seemed flippant. Of course, the narrative has changed
    and PR machine is working, like you are doing now. Since there is so little
    transparency with the clubs, now so with SO many elite options, I like to call
    bs when I hear it. Don't care if parents listen or not. If you want to fleeced,
    go right ahead. But, I got to say what I got to say. DA, ECNL whatever
    are all full of crap, just got to pick the less stinky ones that fits your kid.

They called out this feeder plan couple years ago about bringing kids from
    other clubs in. I knew holy crap, they are going to be poaching kids from
    other clubs. They shouldn't shared this during the meeting and most
    parents ignored it, but not me. Then, they created this internal feeder
    PSPL club, so they can feed the system. With money. Did you ask them
    if they are only going take kids within the system or can kids from the
    outside come in? Developing vs Poaching? Right. Why PSPL?
    Because PSPL are a bunch of money whores and RCL have protected
    boundaries. Reign couldn't get an RCL area without stepping on alot
    of toes. So, they are going to PSPL and poach what they can't develop.

I know that they poached...recruited players mid season from couple
    big clubs. I think one age group, they brought in 4-5 new players.
    I can only imagine how pissed the current parents were when these
    new girls came in mid season. Development vs poaching? Yes, parents
    can be a bunch of jerks: hurt their former team by leaving mid-season
    and reduce minutes for others on the new team. Awesome way to
    make friends. I heard one coach who was an EPD coach poach
    players during the tournaments. Can't imagine the talk between coaches
    about that d0uche maneuver.

Dude, it is like reading a PR script from the Reign. Train with the best,
    train with the first team, blah blah blah blah. If you want to train with
    the first team, you better be an YNT level player. Oh, wait. Duh, that's
    the whole plan for DA. So, .01% of you. Awesome deal. Being cones
    for them to get better. Sweet deal.

Hey, don't believe me. Talk with the former Reign parents who will be
    at some tryouts today and next week. Lots of them I hear. See if I am full of crap
    or maybe there is some truth in what I saying. But also, don't
    trust what the ECNL clubs are saying also. Equal opportunity bullcr@p caller.

p.s. How many OOS travel trips next year? Ohhhh brutal I hear. Brutal.

Comment

Of course Sounders recruit, and some kids and families need some convincing before deciding whether it’s the best thing for their kid (and some conclude it isn’t).
      OMG. Are you for f*cking real? Convincing? Boys would freaking crawl
      on their knees for 10 miles if they could join the Sounders.
      There are groups of boys watching them practice, like boy groupies,
      wishing that they could play for the Sounders. There are so many parents
      in the stands watching their kids play. Ok, please tell that to a Sounder
      parent. Haha. Dang, you must be a Reign non-soccer playing administrator
      writing this stuff.

Now, I know that you are seriously full of cr*p.

Comment

I find it funny how we are calling this recruiting out now with Reign. Not like XF hasn't been doing it for years. Heck they even do it at the younger ages during season. They have made their mark by recruiting the best kids from other clubs for years. Now they don't have the advantage of being the only ECNL club in the area how will they be able to recruit?

Comment

writing this stuff.

Believe it or not, there are families who have concluded that pizza school isn’t the best place for their kids’ education, and that if their kid is good enough they can join sounders at u17 rather than earlier. Families from Vegas or Eastern Wa hopefully have a question or two before shipping their kid off to live with a host family, and rightly so. And some kids have chosen to stick with xf da for various reasons, including the relative flexibility should they be in a position to play professionally. But yes, I’m sure there are plenty of kids and families who would sign up without any further due diligence; it’s a very good program, and I wasn’t knocking it.

Comment

Reign aren’t poaching or stealing kids. The kids and families who go there are making choices after considering their options, and Reign like any organization describes what it is doing and trying to do in a favorable light. Does the reality of every kid’s experience end up matching up with what they hoped for when they decided to go there? Of course not, as with any club or any experience in life, not everyone can get everything they want and that’s as true with 100% playing time or college offers as anything else. Are a significant majority of kids who are there and who have been there for a couple years happy with their choice and experience? Based on what my kid and her teammates say I’d say yes. Is the Reign only looking out for the ynt players and are only ynt players getting good college opportunities, getting opportunities to train with the first team, and getting a chance to train and compete with top players? Not at all. Is the program more expensive than others? Yes, particularly vis-a-vis XF (kids who are choosing Reign over XF are doing so for reasons other than cost). Are the higher costs because of some sort of subsidy of the first team? I don’t think so; I think it’s more that the Reign, with a smaller number of teams, and a technical director who doesn’t coach teams, is spending more per kid than other clubs on things like the technical director, operations manager, trainer, etc.

The negativity and hostility of a couple people on this anonymous message board— and of some people from other area clubs who have spent a lot of time this spring and mourning reign rather than minding their own houses— is over the top.
            Reign is more expensive then other options because it is a 10 month season and practice 4x a week.

XF DA is expensive, but looks cheap because the club subsidizes the DA.

Comment

My son plays for Sounders. It's strictly a scouting/referral situation. Local kids may be recommended by their club coaches for Sounders Discovery -- so they train 1x a week with Sounders, the rest with their club, until they get an invite to join the full DA. Coaches also scout all over the country and at the older ages, kids come from all over the country/world, live with host families in Seattle and do online high school. Most of the kids they've signed to first team contracts like Alphonso are originally from outside the Seattle area. As teams get older, it's fewer local kids and more nationally scouted players. My son has worked hard to retain his spot. Kids get cut at any time.

Comment

Sounders recruit

writing this stuff.

Sounder Academy parent here, believe it or not Sounders have had to recruit a couple kids. Some boys have been invited to tournaments in an effort to convince them. They have tried get a kid from Cross for years.

Comment

Do the Sounders recruit or players just going to them? I figure the Sounders have a pretty good story so do not need to recruit much.
                  Sounders are out recruiting kids from all over the country. Many players from out of state living with host families doing online high school. Going to SOunders is not an option-- kids get referred or scouted. No open tryouts.

Comment

Milbrett's article fails to make the distinction between professional academies that are investing in players hoping to get a return on that investment (and won't get compensated until that player turns pro, and aren't compensated if they leave to join another academy), and pay-to-play clubs.

Man City and Liverpool, two clubs punished by the FA for improperly poaching prospects from another club, are the former. Much of what is discussed here is the latter.

I agree that some rules are appropriate, but WYS's rules (which don't seem to be enforced much, or are enforced selectively) are a bit strict. And really ought not apply to non-WYS entities.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X