Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sounds like there might be one or two anxious NPL parents out there. It's understandable, and if you look back at some of the threads from last year when Stars & BBA were granted GDA, you'll see that parents of NPL & ECNL teams went through the same thing. You have a nice team that plays well together and saw a great future going forward into next year (all the way through high school for the younger set). Your daughter and your family has no interest in GDA, whether she wants to play high school, doesn't want the extra travel, or the expense is beyond the family's budget. Now GDA is introduced. Whether your player is the top scorer on her NPL team, relying on players 2-8 to get the ball up to field to her feet, or the bottom of the team, relying on the better players around help improve her game, you see the quality of the team falling a bit with some players moving to GDA and being replaced by premier team players next fall. So, you try to do everything you can to convince parents that a move to GDA is the wrong choice.

If you step back, you'll realize a couple of things. First, if some players leave your team for GDA, and the experience is as bad as some posters are making it sound, then the following year, they will be back on your team again (there is often turnover on the boys side during the winter break, so you may even have them back by spring!). Second, as someone else mentioned, there probably isn't a huge difference between the bottom of the NPL roster and the top of the premier roster. The top of premier may even be better players, but aren't able to show it surrounded by lower level players, so may really be able to improve quickly and make solid contributions in the midst of higher level players after replacing those leaving for GDA.

You and you player have made your choice to stay in NPL, as you feel it is right for your daughter and your family. Other players and families may feel it would be a lost opportunity not to at least try GDA for a year and see how it goes, always having the option to move back to NPL the following year if it doesn't work out. Let people make their own decisions and don't begrudge those who decide differently.
    You are not wrong. I also think, though, that those of us who know the current NPL teams well and know which families are super excited about this, are scratching our heads at why they think these particular girls need this opportunity. Still, 100% their time, money, and choice so have at it.

There are some girls on premier teams currently who I hope move up to NPL. I think they are are going to be great and many could have been NPL all along, but there are only so many spots. Hopefully those going GDA love it, because who knows if their NPL spots will be up for grabs later!

Comment

You are not wrong. I also think, though, that those of us who know the current NPL teams well and know which families are super excited about this, are scratching our heads at why they think these particular girls need this opportunity. Still, 100% their time, money, and choice so have at it.

There are some girls on premier teams currently who I hope move up to NPL. I think they are are going to be great and many could have been NPL all along, but there are only so many spots. Hopefully those going GDA love it, because who knows if their NPL spots will be up for grabs later!
      Nobody NEEDS anything. Some WANT to try it. After some thought, we've decided to try out next week and see what happens. If it doesn't work, we'll quit it after a year and fall back to NPL and the end of the HS years.

Comment

And, there we have it. This is really about the soccer culture and the average income of those who play. As someone mentioned yesterday...if the costs were $10k, someone would complain. If they were $5k, someone would complain. If it were $1k, someone would complain. If it was subsidized...someone would complain.

Each family should do what they want to do that fits within their means and values. One thing about soccer, though, is that there is a league for every income level and skill level. Rare is the sport that can say that.

Just love the game and play it. Otherwise, ignore the noise.
        Where is the league for talented driven players? It does not exist. These high level leagues are as much about money as talent. You will need to see for yourself and you will.

Comment

Where is the league for talented driven players? It does not exist. These high level leagues are as much about money as talent. You will need to see for yourself and you will.
          It does not exist on girls side. Boys have some funded academies.

Comment

Each family should do what they want to do that fits within their means and values. One thing about soccer, though, is that there is a league for every income level and skill level. Rare is the sport that can say that.

Comment

We love the game and play it. I happen to disagree that there is a good league for high level players so we choose a not ideal league and still play.

Keep repeating your same post if you must, I just have a different opinion. Enjoy whatever you choose.

Comment

We love the game and play it. I happen to disagree that there is a good league for high level players so we choose a not ideal league and still play.

Keep repeating your same post if you must, I just have a different opinion. Enjoy whatever you choose.

Comment

It does not exist on girls side. Boys have some funded academies.
                  Less than a third are MLS free to play BDA. All the rest is pay to play. All of US soccer is pay to play.

Comment

Less than a third are MLS free to play BDA. All the rest is pay to play. All of US soccer is pay to play.
                    All of youth sports is pay to play, not just soccer. In fact most of life is “pay to play”. It’s pretty much the most over-used expression in terms of youth soccer I’ve heard.

Comment

Look..go ahead and pay and play. Just manage your expectations to avoid disappointment. That goes for sea coast and every other club. Have fun.

Comment

All of youth sports is pay to play, not just soccer. In fact most of life is “pay to play”. It’s pretty much the most over-used expression in terms of youth soccer I’ve heard.
                        I agree. The only difference is that different families have different thresholds on how much they will pay, in exchange for how much their kid will play. Find your line in the sand, and stop there.

Comment

Tryouts last night and this evening according to their site.

Anybody attend and have any feedback?

Comment

Tryouts last night and this evening according to their site.

Anybody attend and have any feedback?
                            Decent numbers but the quality of player was lacking. My daughter went to tryouts & felt the pool was not as strong as they thought it might be. Not as many GPS girls showed as anticipated and she said there were some FCStars girls there. My daughter said last night that she wont play GDA since she wont be able to play for her HS team and the players at the tryouts were not as strong as she had hoped. Her HS team will have another opportunity to play for a title this year as a senior and she would love to stay and win one.

Two of her SU team mates also passed on tryouts because they want to still play for their HS teams.

Comment

Of the SU NPL teams right now you have 16 commitments to colleges on the girls side - 8 are from NH the others are Maine and Massachusetts kids.

7 DI commitments, 2 DII commitments, and 7 DIII commitments. https://sportsrecruits.com/committed/seacoastunitedg

This is NOT GDA level talent.

So what's the motivation? Draw girls out of GPS and back from MA clubs to play for them. Plain and simple.

Its no secret right now that the girls side of NPL is not competing very well. So (IMO) this is a risky move to draw the top level talent out of GPS and MA to play for SU.
                              Do you have a link to the boys?

Comment

Decent numbers but the quality of player was lacking. My daughter went to tryouts & felt the pool was not as strong as they thought it might be. Not as many GPS girls showed as anticipated and she said there were some FCStars girls there. My daughter said last night that she wont play GDA since she wont be able to play for her HS team and the players at the tryouts were not as strong as she had hoped. Her HS team will have another opportunity to play for a title this year as a senior and she would love to stay and win one.

Two of her SU team mates also passed on tryouts because they want to still play for their HS teams.
                                I don't think anyone should consider coming into GDA for their Senior season. I understand the offering is for them, but too late for them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X