Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try outs

Now that they are over and decisions have been made I just have to say how much that sucked.
    I think my kid cried this week more than I have seen her cry in a year. Tried out for 2 clubs. Got offers at both but was so worried about making the wrong choice, losing friends etc.. And the pressure to answer within hours of the offer! Ugh!
    Just venting...

Tell me about it, we are still waiting. If the first club has two team, the my son has a place to play with them, if they only have enough for one team then we are hoping he gets offered a spot on the second club he tried out for. Tryouts suck with all the clubs having them on the same days. Do you try out for a better team or play it safe?

Comment

GPS takes anyone with a pulse and a check. If you are lucky you will get a decent coach.
      Sorry your kid has to go through that btw 😕

Comment

Club rookie here...our D got on a team. So for next year same scenario @tryouts? Is there a real possibility that there will not be a spot for a returning player? Tryouts @young age isn't all just show for the parents? This is just kids afterall?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Club rookie here...our D got on a team. So for next year same scenario @tryouts? Is there a real possibility that there will not be a spot for a returning player? Tryouts @young age isn't all just show for the parents? This is just kids afterall?
          Depends on where she falls on the roster. If she is at the bottom, she could easily get bumped if someone better comes along, especially if they play the same position. Some teams are locked in before tryouts with little room for movement. Good luck with all of it.

Comment

Still waiting to hear if one kid's U14 (next year U15) will stay together - with some going into high school, some not, a few stopping for competing in different HS sport, it might not happen. Stressful and a little sad as it's been a great team for him. Thank goodness the other kid is staying put and all is well there. Hate this time of year

Comment

GPS takes anyone with a pulse and a check. If you are lucky you will get a decent coach.
              Sorry your kid has to go through that btw 😕
              GPeniSnvy Guy, still all butthurt? Still want that hug?

Comment

It is very team dependent - high demand teams there will be more players vying for spots and clubs will bump bottom of the roster players. You'll start seeing a clear picture of where she fits in the fall. If she's getting very little playing time and rarely starting have a talk with the coach about what she needs to do to improve and have her work on it. If it's the same early spring have a frank discussion with him about her staying on the team. Get her to practices at other clubs well before actual tryouts - it's a much better way to gauge fit than cattle call tryouts.

Good luck - most of the time it all works out

Comment

Still waiting to hear if one kid's U14 (next year U15) will stay together - with some going into high school, some not, a few stopping for competing in different HS sport, it might not happen. Stressful and a little sad as it's been a great team for him. Thank goodness the other kid is staying put and all is well there. Hate this time of year
                  The waiting is no fun for anyone. The parents have hard time dealing with it. I can't imagine how these kids feel going thru all the stress.

Comment

Now that they are over and decisions have been made I just have to say how much that sucked.
                    I think my kid cried this week more than I have seen her cry in a year. Tried out for 2 clubs. Got offers at both but was so worried about making the wrong choice, losing friends etc.. And the pressure to answer within hours of the offer! Ugh!
                    Just venting...
                    Double ugh! Good thing soccer is such a great game or we would all just find another sport. Us soccer are you listening? It s getting real ugh out here.

Comment

Yup mine just got bumped out after playing for 2 years. She was on the lower end of the roster.

Comment

Yup mine just got bumped out after playing for 2 years. She was on the lower end of the roster.
                        Not trolling, just curious. If you knew she was at the lower end of the roster, did you or she do anything to improve the deficiencies that held back her game? Did the coach provide feedback and direction for improvement?

Comment

I'm lucky to have a fourteen year old who is all around pretty easy going. Not much gets to her. But this week has stressed even her out. I think the hardest part for her has been the realization that some of the adults she looked up to are nothing but snake oil salesmen who really have no concern for her as an individual.

I'm glad the week is almost over.

Comment

It is very team dependent - high demand teams there will be more players vying for spots and clubs will bump bottom of the roster players. You'll start seeing a clear picture of where she fits in the fall. If she's getting very little playing time and rarely starting have a talk with the coach about what she needs to do to improve and have her work on it. If it's the same early spring have a frank discussion with him about her staying on the team. Get her to practices at other clubs well before actual tryouts - it's a much better way to gauge fit than cattle call tryouts.

Good luck - most of the time it all works out
                            OP here, nice feedback. Seems we always have to have our eye on the door, eh? And also the "competition" as they may be the future home

Comment

OP here, nice feedback. Seems we always have to have our eye on the door, eh? And also the "competition" as they may be the future home
                              For sure. Don't burn in any bridges in the soccer world. The pieces are always changing and it's a very small world.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X