Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Doesn't matter what your kid COULD be in 2 years. What matters is making the most of opportunities when they present themselves. You could be unemployed in two years, that's no reason to quit your job tomorrow. You do your best with what you've got every day. I'm just sick of these know-it-alls bashing ODP because "it's just a money-grab" and "your kid will never play on the Nat'l team". Truth is my kid was super star at 11 and is still a super star going off to play in college. Never made the Nat'l team, but went a long way with ODP and is a better player for the experience. So whether you share anyone else's enthusiasm is beside the point. Who are you, or anyone else to tell a parent they're wasting their time in ODP? I stand by my statement that the people bashing ODP are parents of kids who didn't make the cut.
    He wasn't bashing ODP, he was bashing the ridiculous statement of "getting an early look at" with regards to a 12 year old.

Comment

He wasn't bashing ODP, he was bashing the ridiculous statement of "getting an early look at" with regards to a 12 year old.
      I think the early look comment was because at the 05 age, it is when they will start their first year to be eligible to take part in the ODP process this fall. So seeing them play in May, would be earlier than say September.

Although I do agree that ODP is not as relevant today as in the past now with DA, NTC, ECNL all providing high exposure that used to be for the most part solely at the ODP level. My daughter chose not to take part this year because between ECNL and wanting to play on the HS team adding ODP to the mix she felt would be too much. So not doing ODP had nothing to do with being "cut". ODP is fine, it is just now one of many ways to get extra exposure, although probably less so now on the girls side with the DA starting. Perhaps for boys maybe this is not the case.

Comment

Unless your kid is in DA (or GDA) you would be foolish not to pursue ODP. Those selections and events look great on the kid's resume to college coaches. Region Pool, Nat'l training, Interregionals, those are the things that will set your kid apart from the herd. Not saying they necessarily mean your kid is any better, just that they may get that tiny little bit of extra attention that can make a difference. And the kids that get in early and get those looks have a lot easier way in ODP. If those coaches have seen your kid play well at younger ages they'll give him/her a pass for an off day later. Get in early, pay attention, work hard, and attend as many events as possible. It will pay off down the road.

Comment

Just an observation.....the youth national teams start at U14. The statement that 12 years old is too young to identify talent begs the question of when do you think the talent is evident. All this talk about not knowing at such a young age is foolishness. A kid that has it at 12 and continues to work hard will likely have it when they are older too. Talent is something that tends to grow in the right environment.

Comment

Unless your kid is in DA (or GDA) you would be foolish not to pursue ODP. Those selections and events look great on the kid's resume to college coaches. Region Pool, Nat'l training, Interregionals, those are the things that will set your kid apart from the herd. Not saying they necessarily mean your kid is any better, just that they may get that tiny little bit of extra attention that can make a difference. And the kids that get in early and get those looks have a lot easier way in ODP. If those coaches have seen your kid play well at younger ages they'll give him/her a pass for an off day later. Get in early, pay attention, work hard, and attend as many events as possible. It will pay off down the road.
            I Agree. If your kid is DA/GDA then ODP is irrelevant. If your kid is not DA/GDA then ODP is an excellent experience and path for other opportunities.

Comment

Just an observation.....the youth national teams start at U14. The statement that 12 years old is too young to identify talent begs the question of when do you think the talent is evident. All this talk about not knowing at such a young age is foolishness. A kid that has it at 12 and continues to work hard will likely have it when they are older too. Talent is something that tends to grow in the right environment.
              Not when those evaluating the talent tend to give size and speed a priority, when really size and speed at the age of 12 is not a very good indicator of future size and speed.

Comment

Not when those evaluating the talent tend to give size and speed a priority, when really size and speed at the age of 12 is not a very good indicator of future size and speed.
                If believing that helps ease your pain, then by all means...

Comment

Said the parent with a slow small kid. Tell em to eat their Wheeties.

Comment

ODP, where mediocre players go to feel good about themselves...or rather for mommy and daddy to go feel good about their mediocre kid. Keep living the dream.

Comment

I had a parent tell me once their U9 child was "pre-ODP". I was new to soccer and thought it was some sort of affliction requiring medication :).

Comment

I had a parent tell me once their U9 child was "pre-ODP". I was new to soccer and thought it was some sort of affliction requiring medication :).
                        That's a good one. Aren't they're ALL pre-ODP??

Comment

That's a good one. Aren't they're ALL pre-ODP??
                          Good point.

Comment

ODP, where mediocre players go to feel good about themselves...or rather for mommy and daddy to go feel good about their mediocre kid. Keep living the dream.
                            Really? So you are telling this entire forum that all the best players play DA? And you have scouted all of the ODP players to be able to label them all mediocre? Yeah, I didn't think so. Those types of generalizations are weak and said out of spite.

ODP serves a purpose and a void. Not all parents have drunk the DA cool aid. Not all parents want to drive 2 hours for DA. Not all kids want to skip playing for their high school. And not all parents believe the DA is cost effective (checkout the post of Weston fees) .

And before the haters start hating, my son was invited to tryout for an Academy, and while we do not know if he would have made it (though we were told he was scouted and they wanted him), he declined because he does not want to pass up the opportunity to play for his high school. And frankly, if a kid is good, he or she will get noticed. Period. The soccer community isn't as big as people think it is.

Comment

Really? So you are telling this entire forum that all the best players play DA? And you have scouted all of the ODP players to be able to label them all mediocre? Yeah, I didn't think so. Those types of generalizations are weak and said out of spite.

ODP serves a purpose and a void. Not all parents have drunk the DA cool aid. Not all parents want to drive 2 hours for DA. Not all kids want to skip playing for their high school. And not all parents believe the DA is cost effective (checkout the post of Weston fees) .

And before the haters start hating, my son was invited to tryout for an Academy, and while we do not know if he would have made it (though we were told he was scouted and they wanted him), he declined because he does not want to pass up the opportunity to play for his high school. And frankly, if a kid is good, he or she will get noticed. Period. The soccer community isn't as big as people think it is.
                              If they are excellent they will always get noticed, just good same as kids say playing DA maybe not

Comment

Not all the best kids are playing DA - just most of them. There are some with DA talent....as you say that simply live too far away. But in the areas that have DA clubs...yea, nearly all the best kids are there.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X