Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No way is soccer dictating any choices about education if it can be helped. School fit of the correct quality, focus and location is paramount. if the soccer happens at institution then great, If it does not, then too bad.
    For the typical soccer family the $ are 2ndary. Soccer in the US isn't a sport of the poor. That's why so called more "impressive" lists based on school quality draws families to one club over another

Comment

They did play with no goalie. Field players rotated in.
      That’s a lot of $$ to pay to be on a team with no keeper.

Comment

That’s a lot of $$ to pay to be on a team with no keeper.
        Sounds like a decent GK could play for free somewhere

Comment

Where are the showcase tournaments for the 2008's? How is my son supposed to get signed up to play D1 if he is not seen this year? He is the best kid in CT so would easily crush everyone else

Comment

Where are the showcase tournaments for the 2008's? How is my son supposed to get signed up to play D1 if he is not seen this year? He is the best kid in CT so would easily crush everyone else
            push him into basketball or football. no money in men's soccer :)

Comment

push him into basketball or football. no money in men's soccer :)
              sorry, one requires hands and height and the other is a real contact sport and requires power and strength .... neither is a place for soccer players.

Comment

sorry, one requires hands and height and the other is a real contact sport and requires power and strength .... neither is a place for soccer players.
                There's always LAX. Tell him not to give up hope.

Comment

My daughter is trying to get recruited for college. She has interest from DII schools and DIII so far (DI has tougher rules on contacting as far as we understand, so I really don't know where that stands). She does not play ECNL or DA, but does play for a regional club. Her club does attend showcases. In looking at DI rosters, it seems that most of those players were ECNL or played ODP. My daughter does not do either. She never tried out for either because it simply costs way too much from what I understand. When you are paying for college for multiple children, cost is an issue. My question is, does anyone know if those schools would even consider her? She is good enough to play ECNL/ODP. Players she has competed with/against are now there, and we were able to get a fairly good gauge on the level of play from that (I am by no means saying she is the best player in the state, we recognize that she has areas of strengths and weaknesses so nobody get all worked up about that please).

Just wondering if DI coaches would bother looking at her to give her a chance. If anyone has any experience, I would love to hear.

Comment

My daughter is trying to get recruited for college. She has interest from DII schools and DIII so far (DI has tougher rules on contacting as far as we understand, so I really don't know where that stands). She does not play ECNL or DA, but does play for a regional club. Her club does attend showcases. In looking at DI rosters, it seems that most of those players were ECNL or played ODP. My daughter does not do either. She never tried out for either because it simply costs way too much from what I understand. When you are paying for college for multiple children, cost is an issue. My question is, does anyone know if those schools would even consider her? She is good enough to play ECNL/ODP. Players she has competed with/against are now there, and we were able to get a fairly good gauge on the level of play from that (I am by no means saying she is the best player in the state, we recognize that she has areas of strengths and weaknesses so nobody get all worked up about that please).

Just wondering if DI coaches would bother looking at her to give her a chance. If anyone has any experience, I would love to hear.
                    Your best bet is to try to have her tryout for a top club team.

My experience is that in situations of financial need, clubs will make it work for the players. Don't let the economics hold her back. The difference between a CFCU team and an above average CT premier team is massive and frankly college coaches know that.

Coaches (D1) recruit from the ECNL and now DA because that's where the majority of the top end talent is. The games are fast and competitive and allow a coach to see how a player handles significant pressure. It most simulates what they might expect in the college game.

If you are intent on staying with the small club, I'd suggest attending as many ID clinics as possible and then having the club coach contact the school for feedback. Its probably your only choice as D1 coaches aren't going to attend low level showcase events.

Comment

Your best bet is to try to have her tryout for a top club team.

My experience is that in situations of financial need, clubs will make it work for the players. Don't let the economics hold her back. The difference between a CFCU team and an above average CT premier team is massive and frankly college coaches know that.

Coaches (D1) recruit from the ECNL and now DA because that's where the majority of the top end talent is. The games are fast and competitive and allow a coach to see how a player handles significant pressure. It most simulates what they might expect in the college game.

If you are intent on staying with the small club, I'd suggest attending as many ID clinics as possible and then having the club coach contact the school for feedback. Its probably your only choice as D1 coaches aren't going to attend low level showcase events.

You don't have to play at a top club to be recruited but you will have to work more at it. There are many levels of programs out there and D3 schools should not be overlooked. Take a look at how many roster spots there are out there

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

However, she needs to better target her schools to ones that take more players like her. )lower level D1, D2 and D3). If rosters are filled with top ECNL players with loads of accolades, ODP and possibly NT callus her odds are very, very slim of making a roster let alone actually playing. ID events are a possible path, preferably at the schools she's most interested in rather than the big multi school events. Like with showcases it's important that she establish contact with the staff BEFORE the event so they know to look out for you. But again go to events at schools that are a good academic and soccer fit. Don't shoot way above your ability hoping to get "discovered". You're just padding the coach's budget.

Most importantly target the best academic fit. In the end that degree and being at the right school matters more than soccer ever will. In addition, coaches love good students who won't struggle and don't require a push with the admissions office.

Comment

If shes good they will look at her- they dont care where she plays
                        YU gets kids picked up and nobody plays ODP anymore

Comment

If shes good they will look at her- they dont care where she plays
                          YU gets kids picked up and nobody plays ODP anymore
                          I agree with this poster. The problem is that most parents, ECNL, DA, and everyone else, have false impressions of their kids abilities. It is easier to get coaches to come to see games as ECNL or DA clubs, but you may be able to get them to come if you are in a showcase near them or you can attend one of their clinics. Preferable to get them to come to a showcase as it really is hard to showcase yourself at their cattle-call clinics (so many kids mistakenly showboat and it is really hard to get meaningful touches). If you have film send links with a really nice introduction letter letting them know a little about yourself and that you filled out their schools recruiting info on their athletics site. Those links and the chance you get better show them something they like. Playing sound soccer and completing 2 passes in a row wont get you anywhere, so send the ones of your kid beating 4 defenders and then scoring a goal or getting the assist. If you have several clips like this, you are on the right path (especially if you can cite quality opponents). Too many clips I have seen show a kid with mediocre skills getting a lucky shot or mishandling a pass but getting out of it by sheer luck ... against the next town's over HS team. Good luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X