CT players making the tournament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just 2 CT ladies left in the tourney, and they play each other tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I dunno. I mean, we are talking college athletes who are all going to stop playing the game competitively soon. At this point, I'd rather have the line "Competed/Won an NCAA Title" or something similar on my resume vs. "Played on a crappy team in college, but played a lot" line.

That is the end goal, ultimately. To enhance the resume. At the end of 4 years, if your child lasts that long, that is the reality of all this obsession. Plus how soccer enhanced the college experience (such as got to play a lot,friendship, etc). Not sure if NCAA tournament would impress a potential employer as much as captain or some other personal recognition. They certainly will not know if a team was a soccer powerhouse or crappy team or really care about soccer quality a that point.

Comment

That is the end goal, ultimately. To enhance the resume. At the end of 4 years, if your child lasts that long, that is the reality of all this obsession. Plus how soccer enhanced the college experience (such as got to play a lot,friendship, etc). Not sure if NCAA tournament would impress a potential employer as much as captain or some other personal recognition. They certainly will not know if a team was a soccer powerhouse or crappy team or really care about soccer quality a that point.

But it does say a lot about effective time management and ability to juggle multiple and competing priorities. A full time player who gets great grades tells potential employers even more. Successfully navigating four years of college soccer says a lot about managing interpersonal relationships, goal setting and achievement, blah, blah, blah......

I worked for more than a decade in a firm that recruited actively to get new hires right out of college. I must have interviewed a couple hundred of these kids over the years and I assure you that those with collegiate sports on their resumes tended to show us a lot of attractive hiring attributes that we didn't see as regularly in those who didn't.

Comment

Sorry, at face value where all else was equal, i think I would be more likely to offer an interview to a captain from Wesleyan than a bench player at UCLA that just won a championship.

Comment

Sorry, at face value where all else was equal, i think I would be more likely to offer an interview to a captain from Wesleyan than a bench player at UCLA that just won a championship.
            “Says here you played in college?”

“Yes in fact I was a member of the 2017 NCAA Final Four team”

No need to mention how much you played.

Captain of a crappy team means you’re good at leading a crap organizer who finished crappy.

Yippee

Comment

Columbia and Wake men playing now. 3 Oak alum started match.

Comment

SD and Princeton beats UNC to move on in women's NCAA tourney. Congrats!

Comment

Captain of a crappy team means you’re good at leading a crap organizer who finished crappy.

Yippee
                  This is funny. I went very far in NCAA tourney. NEVER came up in an interview. Most people do not care about soccer and probably do not realize there is an NCAA tournament for soccer. I believe school quality, course work and internships are far more important. Maybe if you are applying for a soccer coaching position it would matter but I would guess they would expect you would at least be able to lead your own team before they let you lead theirs.

Comment

This is funny. I went very far in NCAA tourney. NEVER came up in an interview. Most people do not care about soccer and probably do not realize there is an NCAA tournament for soccer. I believe school quality, course work and internships are far more important. Maybe if you are applying for a soccer coaching position it would matter but I would guess they would expect you would at least be able to lead your own team before they let you lead theirs.
                    I used to do a lot of on campus recruiting. ECs would sometimes come up, usually by the candidate as an example of leadership or similar. Sometimes I would bring it up at the end when we'd run out of things to talk about. Once you're a year out of school none of it matters. It's all about experience. If playing sports made you better at teamwork, time management and focus? That will show in your job performance. No one will care how you developed it and how far you went in playoffs it's simply cocktail party chatter

Comment

https://www.inc.com/christina-desmar...tml?cid=search

Comment

100% agree - playing a college sport is extremely helpful for all those reasons. But you don't need to be at a top D1 or go to NCAA final 8. And being a captain at any level is clearly another positive.

Comment

Yippee
                          And then for the sake of a little more light-hearted banter about your personal life and soccer conquests, I, as the interviewer, ask:

"Final Four, huh? Wow, very nice. What position did you play? Score any goals or get any assists?"

"Well, I generally play outside mid, but I didn't really play that much and I didn't score or get any assists for any of the 4 of my years."

As I dig just a small amount deeper, I may find you are coat-tail rider. Whereas, I might ask the other interviewee that was the captain at Wesleyan:

"How did you guys do last year?"

"Not so great. We struggled to score goals and ended up 6-8-2."

"Do you regret playing?"

"Not a chance. I kept fit, had tons of fun, played college soccer, made a bunch of friends for life, learned to balance work and play, and worked hard with my teammates, and as a captain, to lead this team through a tough season and try to get us back on track; I learned a lot about what it means to lead and feel blessed to have had the opportunity to do it at Wesleyan."

Comment

100% agree - playing a college sport is extremely helpful for all those reasons. But you don't need to be at a top D1 or go to NCAA final 8. And being a captain at any level is clearly another positive.
                            And there are many other on and off campus activities that can impress future employers. It doesn't have to be sports. College is what you make of it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X