Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepare for Tryout Chaos

ECNL-DA tryouts are usually early May and NEP tryouts are early June. In the event we are still in this mess to some extent, how do you think clubs will handle tryouts?

Money-

Lot of considerations from a $ standpoint. I see the clubs needing our $ to sustain themselves and I see the parents also financially hurting from this virus. IMO lot of parents won't want to part with a $700 deposit for fall soccer right now.

Player retention-

Do the clubs offer spots to as many of their current players for next year as possible, even players who were considered "bubble" players before this?

Player movement-

Does this situation make it easier or harder to switch teams? I can see an argument for both. Clubs will want to keep their known commodities, making it harder to move. Flip side is clubs will likely lose some families over $ issues, so spots that were not otherwise available might open up.

Coaching issues-

With so many coaches laid off, how many end up at different clubs when things resume, and do they poach players or whole teams from their old club to bring with them?

Club mergers-

With the GPS chaos and the financial impact on the clubs, do we see a number of clubs merging out of necessity to survive?

The GDA situation-

With the new leadership at the federation and other regions around the country beginning to falter, do the savvy GDA parents look to get out in front what could be the coming end to GDA and try to grab the limited ECNL spots? Sort of like the people who were smart enough to buy a month of toilet paper before the whole town showed up on the same day trying to buy the last role.

IMO the clubs who read the situation correctly will position themselves for success going forward and those who do not could do grave damage to their busninesses.

My kid hasn’t had to try out for years. The offer comes in months ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My kid hasn’t had to try out for years. The offer comes in months ahead of time.
      Same for every other that would bother to read TS. So what?

Comment

Same for every other that would bother to read TS. So what?
        Don’t get pi$$y with me. I didn’t start a thread about try out chaos.

Comment

Bet she hasn’t this year.

Comment

Don’t get pi$$y with me. I didn’t start a thread about try out chaos.
            You polluted the thread with a silly post that did not address the question. If you want to start a thread about kids that will not be going to a try out then do that.

Comment

ECNL-DA tryouts are usually early May and NEP tryouts are early June. In the event we are still in this mess to some extent, how do you think clubs will handle tryouts?

Money-

Lot of considerations from a $ standpoint. I see the clubs needing our $ to sustain themselves and I see the parents also financially hurting from this virus. IMO lot of parents won't want to part with a $700 deposit for fall soccer right now.

Player retention-

Do the clubs offer spots to as many of their current players for next year as possible, even players who were considered "bubble" players before this?

Player movement-

Does this situation make it easier or harder to switch teams? I can see an argument for both. Clubs will want to keep their known commodities, making it harder to move. Flip side is clubs will likely lose some families over $ issues, so spots that were not otherwise available might open up.

Coaching issues-

With so many coaches laid off, how many end up at different clubs when things resume, and do they poach players or whole teams from their old club to bring with them?

Club mergers-

With the GPS chaos and the financial impact on the clubs, do we see a number of clubs merging out of necessity to survive?

The GDA situation-

With the new leadership at the federation and other regions around the country beginning to falter, do the savvy GDA parents look to get out in front what could be the coming end to GDA and try to grab the limited ECNL spots? Sort of like the people who were smart enough to buy a month of toilet paper before the whole town showed up on the same day trying to buy the last role.

IMO the clubs who read the situation correctly will position themselves for success going forward and those who do not could do grave damage to their busninesses.
              Who gives a sh*t about tryouts at this point? There may be none. Not really important is it?

Comment

Money-

Player retention-

Player movement-

Coaching issues-

Club mergers-

The GDA situation-

This year's contracts better have specific stipulations in there about refunds and amounts in the event of 2020-2021 season being interrupted, postponed, or cancelled. I have a hunch this is exactly the correction the pay for play world has needed for years. Many players won't be back and many clubs will fold ..... Finally some consolidation. This is like a huge corporate stock buyback from a corporate bailout!

Comment

Some people don’t want to focus on doom and gloom all day long. The op raises some interfering issues.

For us, we’ve been at the same club for a long time, so don’t think it will impact us tryout wise as much as it will others.

Comment

Due to the loss of wealth and income, the player pool for youth sports will shrink. Not sure how school sports will be affected but it can't be good. Budgets will suffer across the board.

Comment

Whoever posted about new attention to refund clauses has it right. That's what will be new

club hopping will work itself out. Tryouts were predominantly theater anyway. anyone interested in changing clubs will call ahead and attend a practice or two once play starts up. just as it always was. For the lower tier teams where tryouts aren't really necessary, the sign-up form will be there

Comment

No doubt event organizers and event insurance companies will be re-writing their contracts as well

Comment

You polluted the thread with a silly post that did not address the question. If you want to start a thread about kids that will not be going to a try out then do that.
                          This whole thread is fecal matter. Calm down.

Comment

This whole thread is fecal matter. Calm down.
                            You certainly seem right at home in the #@&*

Comment

Money-

Player retention-

Player movement-

Coaching issues-

Club mergers-

The GDA situation-

If your kid is u13 or older than “real” tryouts don’t exist, players are sampling clubs throughout the season to check on the fit. If u12 or below, its not a tryout so much as a placement, they will take your money and find you a team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X