Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We don't know how long this will last - a few weeks or will the whole season be scrapped? I think any club owner knows people will want some kind of compensation if the season is lost. Some just might not be able to swing it if they're low on cash and are also trying to pay staff. Assuming we stay for next year, knocking some off of next year's bill would be acceptable. That would take some of the immediate pressure off of them and spread out their pain

That said, with all that's going on this is the least of my concerns.
    Sounds like you don’t “need” the money, and neither do I, however it’s just the principle of it and common sense really. The DA and ECNL are done until after April 30th (approx 7weeks) . That’s a fair chunk of the season. Some people could really use the extra cash (their cash) back in their pockets right now. Many people can’t work right now that aren’t salaried, every bit helps them and their families. These people couldn’t care less about Coxon and crew, the DiTom’s or DF/RD spreading out THEIR pain right now. All these guys can feel the pain a bit just like their customers are.

Comment

Sounds like you don’t “need” the money, and neither do I, however it’s just the principle of it and common sense really. The DA and ECNL are done until after April 30th (approx 7weeks) . That’s a fair chunk of the season. Some people could really use the extra cash (their cash) back in their pockets right now. Many people can’t work right now that aren’t salaried, every bit helps them and their families. These people couldn’t care less about Coxon and crew, the DiTom’s or DF/RD spreading out THEIR pain right now. All these guys can feel the pain a bit just like their customers are.
      Totally agree some people really need the money but the average middle to upper income soccer family is much less likely to. It's too early
      to start cutting checks unless its certain the entire season will be scrapped

Comment

They also need to pay coaches who aren't exactly well off. A club that size has a ton of coaches. Will the season resume May 1 in partial form or pushed back into the summer? We don't know yet.*
        Normally summer is the time for camps and family vacations but I bet this will be anything but a normal summer (send your kid to sleepaway camps when this will still be out there?). School closures will also force kids to stay in school a lot longer into the summer

* colleges that are definitely closing are under pressure to return prorated meal plans and housing. Some schools can afford it, some can't. If my kid's closes I care a lot more about that money than soccer fees.

Comment

They also need to pay coaches who aren't exactly well off. A club that size has a ton of coaches. Will the season resume May 1 in partial form or pushed back into the summer? We don't know yet.*
          Normally summer is the time for camps and family vacations but I bet this will be anything but a normal summer (send your kid to sleepaway camps when this will still be out there?). School closures will also force kids to stay in school a lot longer into the summer

* colleges that are definitely closing are under pressure to return prorated meal plans and housing. Some schools can afford it, some can't. If my kid's closes I care a lot more about that money than soccer fees.
          If this drags much past April, there will be far bigger issues to deal with in the country than soccer. Best guess is a return in Mid-April when the schools return and extend through July. As for colleges, don’t forget you’re only talking about 6 weeks. Most get out in early May. So you might get $1500-2000 back tops. And guess what? They’ll then raise tuition next year by more than that to get it back. You won’t win that fight.

Comment

We’re talking about a lot of money here (especially at the big clubs). Are they in good conscience just going to keep it without batting an eye? I wouldn’t expect full refunds at all, but to simply keep full tuition will become very problematic I would imagine.
            FSA has promised to pay all coaches their full pay

Comment

If this drags much past April, there will be far bigger issues to deal with in the country than soccer. Best guess is a return in Mid-April when the schools return and extend through July. As for colleges, don’t forget you’re only talking about 6 weeks. Most get out in early May. So you might get $1500-2000 back tops. And guess what? They’ll then raise tuition next year by more than that to get it back. You won’t win that fight.
              Next year's tuition was set months ago. Getting back something is better than nothing and no it won't be much.

We will see how it plays out with kids k-12. A friend who is a CT HS teacher thinks at a minimum kids won't go back until after Easter. If cases are still growing it will be even longer. They won't reopen until there's decent declines. Large swaths of China closed up for 6weeks. Lamont lifted the 180 day rule but teacher contracts obligate schools to stop June 30th.

Comment

Next year's tuition was set months ago. Getting back something is better than nothing and no it won't be much.

We will see how it plays out with kids k-12. A friend who is a CT HS teacher thinks at a minimum kids won't go back until after Easter. If cases are still growing it will be even longer. They won't reopen until there's decent declines. Large swaths of China closed up for 6weeks. Lamont lifted the 180 day rule but teacher contracts obligate schools to stop June 30th.
                Don’t disagree with you, but China is where it all started. I would imagine it won’t be nearly as bad here. Right after Easter sounds about right. As for college tuitions, next year hasn’t been set yet. You get that during the summer. They’ll either refund money and then get it back in the fall or they’ll offer a discount on next year—after they’ve raised tuition enough to cover it.

Comment

Fsa promised what? they layed off all office staff. What does that say about them?

Comment

FSA has promised to pay all coaches their full pay
                    FSA Coach here! They haven't promised anything, the communication (from Sal) to Coaches is incredibly poorly written and vague.

Comment

Don’t disagree with you, but China is where it all started. I would imagine it won’t be nearly as bad here. Right after Easter sounds about right. As for college tuitions, next year hasn’t been set yet. You get that during the summer. They’ll either refund money and then get it back in the fall or they’ll offer a discount on next year—after they’ve raised tuition enough to cover it.
                      The real issue is room and board, not necessarily tuition as most colleges will be instructing online. Prorated room and board is appropriate without the need to raise tuition beyond what they normally would. Otherwise they’re simply capitalizing on this situation.

Comment

Wrong. BOGs (Board of Governors, typically advised by a Finance committee who runs all the numbers and forecasts) typically set tuition during the winter for the following school year and post it on line for possible incoming students. Here's UCONNs https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...avirus-vaccine

Comment

CFC has assured their coaches will all get paid their salary. Say what you want but that is a very good gesture from the biggest club in the state

Comment

Wrong. BOGs (Board of Governors, typically advised by a Finance committee who runs all the numbers and forecasts) typically set tuition during the winter for the following school year and post it on line for possible incoming students. Here's UCONNs https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...avirus-vaccine
                            State school. Private schools do what they want.

Comment

The real issue is room and board, not necessarily tuition as most colleges will be instructing online. Prorated room and board is appropriate without the need to raise tuition beyond what they normally would. Otherwise they’re simply capitalizing on this situation.
                              No necessarily capitalizing on it. Just trying to not go out of business. Some schools have tight finances and a major hit would cripple them. I’m just telling you what they’ll do. You can ignore it if you like.

Comment

The Logical Voice

I doubt there will be much pay for coaches. Coaches at the club level are generally not "employees". Rather, they are independent contractors, paid by stipend and given 1099s at tax time, instead of a W-2. Most stipends get paid in installments, so the jury is out on clubs owing coaches stipend payments for the portion of the season not worked.

School closures may extend school years a bit, but nearly all teaching contracts expire on June 30th in CT. Certainly for the public school systems. The school year cannot extend past that date without teachers under contract. The governments in several states have already relieved school systems of any mandatory days of school requirements, as has been done in CT. I doubt CT schools will be in session after June 30th.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X