Playing college soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would a D1 coach make an offer if they didn't think the player could contribute?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Why would a D1 coach make an offer if they didn't think the player could contribute?
      They need practice cones?

no seriously, if there's money involved then your offer will to some degree reflect how much the coach thinks you will contribute. The more the better. But plenty of players will only get some token dollars or even none at all. Getting an offer for a "spot" isn't a financial offer and isn't a good sign for the coach's confidence.

Comment

Most of these kids committing now ,receive no athletic money yet tell everyone they received full scholarships on athletic abilities .Whars the truth .?I understand the best are taken first and then others,has that changed.

Comment

Most of these kids committing now ,receive no athletic money yet tell everyone they received full scholarships on athletic abilities .Whars the truth .?I understand the best are taken first and then others,has that changed.
          Why do you care what someone says?

Comment

For most kids, Pay to play carries on into college. Rich kids that have paid to play all along, now still pay to play, in the form of college tuition.

Comment

I don't agree with this at all. The player and family should know what schools to target and if the player will fit and also know their potential. Playing time and if they play as a freshman, etc is up to the player's work ethic and skill. How can the coach promise anything? And so if you are looking for a promise then I agree you are a primadonna and the player is a legend in their own mind.
              That is not true. Some coaches just do not to play freshmen. Find out.
              My kid asked. Played as a freshman. Passed on some schools that did not play freshmen. It isn't prima donna. It is knowing what you bring and wanting to use it not wait it out. It is called confidence.

Comment

Why do you care what someone says?
                Not the poster but families bragging about "Full rides" help feed the club machine. Other families believe the tales and think their kid will do the same. They don't realize that many get little or no athletic $ and when they do get a decent amount it's more often merit and financial aid - things you can get without soccer. The figures are even worse for boys.

Some one once mentioned the need for a education program for middle school grade parents. If they knew the realities, half the high school aged players would probably drop out or at least just go back to travel-like programs with minimal travel and sensible fees.

Comment

Not the poster but families bragging about "Full rides" help feed the club machine. Other families believe the tales and think their kid will do the same. They don't realize that many get little or no athletic $ and when they do get a decent amount it's more often merit and financial aid - things you can get without soccer. The figures are even worse for boys.

Some one once mentioned the need for a education program for middle school grade parents. If they knew the realities, half the high school aged players would probably drop out or at least just go back to travel-like programs with minimal travel and sensible fees.
                  I know families that have full rides. And they never said but the coaches let it slip. So it is out there. But rare.

Comment

For most kids, Pay to play carries on into college. Rich kids that have paid to play all along, now still pay to play, in the form of college tuition.
                    and colleges appreciate the straight drop down to the bottom line

Comment

I know families that have full rides. And they never said but the coaches let it slip. So it is out there. But rare.
                      Very, very rare, even more so on the men's side.

Comment

I have several kids that are or were athletically funded scholar athletes. Some full and some not. The fulls were fully athletic. The partials were athletic and merit. My kids earned them. It is there award to share if they choose. I have taught them to not
                        share my or their financial business with anyone. It isn't mannerly.

Comment

Very, very rare, even more so on the men's side.
                          And some kids are impact players. If you have one, then you understand. They work hard for their money.

Comment

I have several kids that are or were athletically funded scholar athletes. Some full and some not. The fulls were fully athletic. The partials were athletic and merit. My kids earned them. It is there award to share if they choose. I have taught them to not
                            share my or their financial business with anyone. It isn't mannerly.
                            You’ve got a lot of kids.

Comment

No shlt. Two words for you:

Pull
                              Out

Comment

4 is a lot?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X