Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CORONAVIRUS, school and soccer.

Prepare now. Get your SATs and ACTs out of the way now and don't be surprised if soccer season and school are shut down early later this spring.

Keep on top of the news and changes, but don't panic. If health officials, public awareness and greater diligence can keep it at bay until summer break that would be a great thing.

DO NOT GO TO WORK OR SCHOOL IF YOU ARE SICK. That is an American tradition, soldiering through. Don't do that. Be responsible. if an employee calls in sick, give them the benefit of the doubt and tell them to stay home.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Prepare now. Get your SATs and ACTs out of the way now and don't be surprised if soccer season and school are shut down early later this spring.
      Did school shut down because of the flu? Hundreds of kids were out with the flu and BTW...the flu has killed WAY more people than the Coronavirus.

Comment

Did school shut down because of the flu? Hundreds of kids were out with the flu and BTW...the flu has killed WAY more people than the Coronavirus.

Don't recall cruise ships being totally quarantined because of common flu? Or refused entry to port? Or entire cities cut off, shut down and quarantined? Or borders and flights closed because of the flu? Or railings shut down? Or road blocks put up and people forcibly sealed into their houses.

Comment

Idiot. This virus is more lethal (2.5% deaths approximately vs well under 1% for flu). We have flu vaccines, Tamiflu for treatment and everyone has some flu antibodies. None of that applies with Covid. Even in bad flu outbreaks schools have shot down for short periods to try and break the spread.

Comment

Idiot. This virus is more lethal (2.5% deaths approximately vs well under 1% for flu). We have flu vaccines, Tamiflu for treatment and everyone has some flu antibodies. None of that applies with Covid. Even in bad flu outbreaks schools have shot down for short periods to try and break the spread.
            Ok before you start calling people idiot we have no real idea how lethal this is. And further, these things usually are less lethal the more they spread and the longer they are around.

We don't know yet what works, they have only recently discovered what the actual symptoms are as they are different from symptoms seen with a flu.

Nonetheless the panic, as with with the last couple of incidents (bird flu and ebola) is driven by the media to get more viewership and sell more ads. Everyone needs to relax, take normal precautions and go on with their lives.

Comment

I am going to Italy so I can get infected. I will stay there until I recover and won't pass it on to anyone else. But this way when I return and everyone is hiding in their house I can get great deals on vacations to Disney and cruise ships.

Comment

all the deaths are in china and all early cases

China didn't help those people they boarded them up - they arrested the doctor who raised the first alarm to this

when we start seeing deaths in places like Europe and America we will know until then that's just a number designed to freak people out
                it worked on you

Comment

all the deaths are in china and all early cases

China didn't help those people they boarded them up - they arrested the doctor who raised the first alarm to this

when we start seeing deaths in places like Europe and America we will know until then that's just a number designed to freak people out
                  it worked on you
                  True there is new information that many early deaths were healthcare workers, when they didn't know what they were dealing with. Healthcare workers are the most vulnerable because if they're not taking precautions they can get blasted with high viral counts from patients coughing on them. Same with SARS and EBOLA - healthcare workers in the early days are hit the worst. New data from China is showing patients who got it later have better recovery rates. The epicenter for the outbreak had higher death rates than elsewhere, again due to slow response

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/w...gtype=Homepage

Countries with poor medical care and response networks will be the most vulnerable. Since pneumonia is what gets them, it's unclear if smoking has an impact - China and other countries have higher rates of smoking than the US.

Comment

Ok before you start calling people idiot we have no real idea how lethal this is. And further, these things usually are less lethal the more they spread and the longer they are around.

We don't know yet what works, they have only recently discovered what the actual symptoms are as they are different from symptoms seen with a flu.

Nonetheless the panic, as with with the last couple of incidents (bird flu and ebola) is driven by the media to get more viewership and sell more ads. Everyone needs to relax, take normal precautions and go on with their lives.
                    The death rate is probably even lower than 2.5% - many who get it never seek medical treatment or get tested. China has basically run out of test kits anyway. Without the denominator of #infected we don't know for sure. Doctors are also learning better how to treat it - Thailand had success using antivirals and there are dozens of other tests being run.
                    https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...onavirus-67120

Me I'm not panicked - it's in the back of my head, I'll keep a close eye out for it and plan accordingly. I did have a friend die from the bird flu - a healthy adult in their mid 40s - sadly a month before they came out with a vaccine. There's only so much you can do.

Comment

Keep on top of the news and changes, but don't panic. If health officials, public awareness and greater diligence can keep it at bay until summer break that would be a great thing.

DO NOT GO TO WORK OR SCHOOL IF YOU ARE SICK. That is an American tradition, soldiering through. Don't do that. Be responsible. if an employee calls in sick, give them the benefit of the doubt and tell them to stay home.
                      Gotta go to work, because otherwise won't get paid, will lose my home. Besides, I can't afford the doctor, so might as well just push through it at the office.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2661839]Keep on top of the news and changes, but don't panic. If health officials, public awareness and greater diligence can keep it at bay until summer break that would be a great thing.
                        .../QUOTE]

This guy is 100% correct. As Donald pointed out, we have very few cases (we're not testing which helps keep those numbers low) and those we do have are getting better. Plus, this thing is probably over. And, also, the stock market is doing very well.

Comment

COVID-19: Approximately 2,770 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Tell me again how the flu is less dangerous?

Comment

Gotta go to work, because otherwise won't get paid, will lose my home. Besides, I can't afford the doctor, so might as well just push through it at the office.
                            Thanks for contributing poor public health. My boss at my first out of college job had young kids and was always bringing his crud to work. My sister is a school nurse and so many parents give their kids some Advil and send them to school contagious.

Pushing yourself when you're truly ill, not just a cold, only makes the recovery longer. Better to take a pay hit for a few days then 1) give it to others 2) possibly get yourself really sick

Comment

Thanks for contributing poor public health. My boss at my first out of college job had young kids and was always bringing his crud to work. My sister is a school nurse and so many parents give their kids some Advil and send them to school contagious.

Pushing yourself when you're truly ill, not just a cold, only makes the recovery longer. Better to take a pay hit for a few days then 1) give it to others 2) possibly get yourself really sick
                              When sick leave is benefit and not a right this is what you get.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X