Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is DA worth the money

Is it worth my daughter missing out on her High School for DA?

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2653412]Is it worth my daughter missing out on her High School for DA?[/QUOTE

And...here we go again...

Comment

Yes, if that means getting into a NESCAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Let your kid decide. Stop being a helicopter parent. If they want to play DA more than HS let them. If they decide after freshman year of HS that they would prefer HS over DA, then let them drop DA or see if the club is willing to give a waiver. These aren’t dangerous choices either way like telling them not to take drugs, go with strangers, or drive recklessly. There is no need to protect them and make decisions for them. It’s only a game.

Comment

No it is not.Unless you have disposable income and do not care about flying to regular season games.

Comment

It's unanswerable without knowing more.

What does your kid want?
            Where does she want to take her game?
            What time/effort/cost impact can you afford?
            What value do you/they put on HS?

Some look at HS as a complete non-factor, so "is it worth it" is a completely easy question since they don't value it as all. Others, short of a guarantee of a full-ride D1 scholarship before freshman year would make it worthwhile. Most fall somewhere in the middle, and the answers to the first 4 questions will guide that.

Personally, it is worth it for us as that's what my daughter enjoys more and I can handle the cost/time/effort, but I won't speak for everyone.

Comment

And getting into a Nescac requires GPA not DA , soccer talent levels are similar.

Comment

Let your kid decide. Stop being a helicopter parent. If they want to play DA more than HS let them. If they decide after freshman year of HS that they would prefer HS over DA, then let them drop DA or see if the club is willing to give a waiver. These aren’t dangerous choices either way like telling them not to take drugs, go with strangers, or drive recklessly. There is no need to protect them and make decisions for them. It’s only a game.
                This makes too much sense. However, it does not provide the type of subjective answer the poster was looking for in their vague question about worth. Even though I agree, this response is a TS fail. Nice try though :)

Comment

It's unanswerable without knowing more.

What does your kid want?
                  Where does she want to take her game?
                  What time/effort/cost impact can you afford?
                  What value do you/they put on HS?

Some look at HS as a complete non-factor, so "is it worth it" is a completely easy question since they don't value it as all. Others, short of a guarantee of a full-ride D1 scholarship before freshman year would make it worthwhile. Most fall somewhere in the middle, and the answers to the first 4 questions will guide that.

Personally, it is worth it for us as that's what my daughter enjoys more and I can handle the cost/time/effort, but I won't speak for everyone.
                  It’s completely dependent on what your dd would like more. Mine chose hs and Ecnl. But, in her particular case, the GDA team her age group was not nearly as good as the Ecnl team and her HS team was fun and pretty good, with all club players. When the time came for a grade younger player at her same HS to choose, that girl chose GDA over high school. Many older GDA players, get committed while playing in GDA, then drop out of GDA to have fun and play HS for their senior year. If your dd is happy, she’ll be successful so let her choose whichever path she likes the most.

Comment

And getting into a Nescac requires GPA not DA , soccer talent levels are similar.
                    I was joking.

Comment

If your daughter doesn't care if she "misses" HS then neither should you. It isn't a religious experience.

Also, it is only worth it as a upper classmen anyway. Play DA Freshman and Sophomore year. By the end of sophomore year you'll have an idea regarding recruiting and you can play it by ear for Junior year. Perhaps Junior year is a coin toss regarding HS and where her recruiting is at. By senior year you'll know where you stand and relax a bit on the soccer side but not on the conditioning side of things.

Comment

If your daughter doesn't care if she "misses" HS then neither should you. It isn't a religious experience.

Also, it is only worth it as a upper classmen anyway. Play DA Freshman and Sophomore year. By the end of sophomore year you'll have an idea regarding recruiting and you can play it by ear for Junior year. Perhaps Junior year is a coin toss regarding HS and where her recruiting is at. By senior year you'll know where you stand and relax a bit on the soccer side but not on the conditioning side of things.
                        If you want to play HS by then you won't be able to get on an ECNL roster. Now with later recruiting timelines you could be well into junior year before you've finalized your spot (non studs, non top programs)

Comment

It’s completely dependent on what your dd would like more. Mine chose hs and Ecnl. But, in her particular case, the GDA team her age group was not nearly as good as the Ecnl team and her HS team was fun and pretty good, with all club players. When the time came for a grade younger player at her same HS to choose, that girl chose GDA over high school. Many older GDA players, get committed while playing in GDA, then drop out of GDA to have fun and play HS for their senior year. If your dd is happy, she’ll be successful so let her choose whichever path she likes the most.
                          Whichever your dd would enjoy more is the one that’s worth it. You’re right, happiness is most worth it.

Comment

If you want to play HS by then you won't be able to get on an ECNL roster. Now with later recruiting timelines you could be well into junior year before you've finalized your spot (non studs, non top programs)
                            Come back to earth. No idea who the kid is, but you’ve got her going to college already. Oh, and God forbid that ECNL roster spot that it just waiting for her goes unfilled. The horror! - hiliarious

Comment

Why would a DA player have a hard time making a ECNL roster and vice versa?

This isn't meant as a league bashing but more a point of, if your kid can play at that level then making a ECNL team shouldn't be a problem if college recruiting has gone well.

If recruiting hasn't gone well then by Junior or Senior year drop a level, play HS and save a lot of cash.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X