Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I’d love to send something like that to my town’s rec director. Can you point me to the reference, please?
    The State plans to allow summer camps and other youth summer programs to operate in person—under new, strict regulations—starting June 29th. This is on the DHS website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 Update No. 18, May 14. Governor elaborated on it more and said no youth organized sports because of current CDC guidelines which may change, however she does not want kids not to play. She suggested groups of 12, (stable groups) practicing or sport camps in which one group of kids stays with the same group and same coach. No travel teams, no mixing teams, just playing against the same people on your team... as she said we will get creative. I will find her exact words but it was mid way though her speech 5/14.

Comment

The State plans to allow summer camps and other youth summer programs to operate in person—under new, strict regulations—starting June 29th. This is on the DHS website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 Update No. 18, May 14. Governor elaborated on it more and said no youth organized sports because of current CDC guidelines which may change, however she does not want kids not to play. She suggested groups of 12, (stable groups) practicing or sport camps in which one group of kids stays with the same group and same coach. No travel teams, no mixing teams, just playing against the same people on your team... as she said we will get creative. I will find her exact words but it was mid way though her speech 5/14.

The governor said camps will have to maintain small, stable groups of children, like a pod of 10 kids, that don't interchange. "The real health issues come into play when you’ve got one team playing against another team and playing against different teams every week," Raimondo said. "That we can’t do." She then said maybe 12 kids ...? She also said "sports camps" and "practices" so WJAR didn't report that but she did say it yesterday.

Comment

The governor said camps will have to maintain small, stable groups of children, like a pod of 10 kids, that don't interchange. "The real health issues come into play when you’ve got one team playing against another team and playing against different teams every week," Raimondo said. "That we can’t do." She then said maybe 12 kids ...? She also said "sports camps" and "practices" so WJAR didn't report that but she did say it yesterday.
        Watch yesterday video on May 14 with the governor, just after she says no to youth sports she does get more positive... at the 14 min mark with the governor she is saying yes to "sport camps" and then she is encouraging people at the 37 min mark that she is hoping that sports camps do run under new rules she does not want sports gone. We can make this happen if a team runs their practices as sports camp.

Comment

Watch yesterday video on May 14 with the governor, just after she says no to youth sports she does get more positive... at the 14 min mark with the governor she is saying yes to "sport camps" and then she is encouraging people at the 37 min mark that she is hoping that sports camps do run under new rules she does not want sports gone. We can make this happen if a team runs their practices as sports camp.
          Only sticking point is at older age groups—does a typical 11v11 roster have to split into two groups to practice? Maybe you split your A & B teams into 3 groups for pre-season practice and just play 6v6? Can we at least have 7v7? :)

Comment

Looks like some sports organizations are working hard to open sports since CT and MA will be soon. Glad to see these dedicated parents making their voices known in baseball. Now soccer needs to step up and town teams and club get their teams back on the field and run it as a sports camp. Give kids back the spring over the summer please.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/ri-families-push-for-sports-games-ma-prepares-season-guidelines

Comment

Looks like some sports organizations are working hard to open sports since CT and MA will be soon. Glad to see these dedicated parents making their voices known in baseball. Now soccer needs to step up and town teams and club get their teams back on the field and run it as a sports camp. Give kids back the spring over the summer please.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/ri-families-push-for-sports-games-ma-prepares-season-guidelines
              I'm glad the parents are organizing among themselves. I hope they try to get as much outside feedback as they can so they can put together a convincing set of suggestions/actions for the leagues and local governments.

Comment

Lots of chatter on FB on Reopening Sports in RI especially since many states worse off than us have already started playing not only with their team but in some states against other teams. Looking at CDC this morning I think youth soccer in RI needs to start up June 29. Hold practices with the teams. For soccer practice with your spring teams, makeup the practices even if not the games at first. Practice a few time a week. Otherwise RI soccer will never be as good as MA because we just don’t take it as seriously as our neighbor.
                We have been in the lowest risk for training and kids hate the skills training on line. Let’s move to the Increased Risk June 1 with Phase 2... move towards Increased Risk mid June and by July 1, More risk... we can and should do this. Super Liga needs to allow town teams to resume and clubs should get back into it.
                Oh, and if you aren’t ready or worried... you can stay home.
                Each make their own choices.

CDC recommendations:
                Lowest Risk: Performing skill-building drills or conditioning at home, alone or with family members.
                Increasing Risk: Team-based practice.
                More Risk: Within-team competition.
                Even More Risk: Full competition between teams from the same local geographic area.
                Highest Risk: Full competition between teams from different geographic areas.

Comment

From the MA thread:
                  Baker announced youth sports can resume in phase 2. Games and tournaments in phase three. What do you think this will look like? If face coverings are still required how does that work?
                  Practices to resume 6/8 games and tournaments to resume 6/29. So long as everything goes well.

1. Players will be required to have their temperature taken prior to practices and games. This will likely be left to the parents.
                  2. Clubs will be asked to limit the number of spectators. This will probably never come in to play except in tournaments or large venues like Lancaster. Scheduling clubs will have to space games out more so that during switches there aren’t as maybe people around.
                  3. All spectators will have to wear a face covering.

I am actually a RI resident but my kid plays club in MA and town in RI so I read both boards. Interesting that MA, 4th worst state in US in terms of COVID is reopening youth sports before RI when RI is doing so well. This is why club soccer in better in MA, just sayin' more serious about sports. Come on Governor lets open up! Come on towns in RI makeup your spring season over the summer!

Comment

As of today!!!

Governor said we can start youth sports practices on Monday June 1 as long as we are in groups of no more than 15 per group! Let’s do this!!!!

Comment

All spring sports canceled no matter what. If u think they're on, u so stupid
                      I’m so stupid? Hmmmmmm looks like we can do Spring over the summer.

“ Youth Sports: The Governor announced that the State will begin to enable youth sports during Phase 2. New guidance and safety precautions will be in place to keep kids, parents, and coaches safe.
                      Additional information and guidance is available at reopeningri.com. ”

Comment

Club soccer is back on the fields. Why can’t the towns get moving? Do we really have to pay for club soccer to get soccer going this summer? Are the soccer coaches also the baseball coaches because I see baseball has started. I heard some towns started but not many. Please list your town if they are offering summer practices.

Comment

Because town soccer coaches are not super into soccer. Lacrosse, baseball, softball, volleyball all started, but no soccer, the easiest sport to play. Glad the club kids are on the fields sorry for town kids nothing. The privledge gap widens.

Comment

Club soccer is back on the fields. Why can’t the towns get moving? Do we really have to pay for club soccer to get soccer going this summer? Are the soccer coaches also the baseball coaches because I see baseball has started. I heard some towns started but not many. Please list your town if they are offering summer practices.
                            Because club soccer teams have tournaments in the not too distant future, whereas town soccer was cancelled long ago, with no word on anything from the governing body. I can get my kids together, and I plan on doing that at some point, but there will be no objective other than to get a ball at their feet among their friends.

Also, the kids who play on club teams are "Serious Soccer Players," for the most part. The kids on my town team are not quite as serious, except for the two club players we have, and those two are getting their desire for soccer satisfied by their club. If you have a town team full of serious players, more power to you, enjoy the glory you will no doubt experience in the fall.

Comment

Towns starting up:
                              Lincoln, Portsmouth, Warwick, N Kingstown
                              Towns not:
                              East Providence, Cranston, Tiverton

This is what I’ve heard so far...but it’s a moving target because with in each town some coaches are practicing but other coaches are choosing not to. I’m guessing A teams will practice B teams will wait until fall.

Comment

Because club soccer teams have tournaments in the not too distant future, whereas town soccer was cancelled long ago, with no word on anything from the governing body. I can get my kids together, and I plan on doing that at some point, but there will be no objective other than to get a ball at their feet among their friends.

Also, the kids who play on club teams are "Serious Soccer Players," for the most part. The kids on my town team are not quite as serious, except for the two club players we have, and those two are getting their desire for soccer satisfied by their club. If you have a town team full of serious players, more power to you, enjoy the glory you will no doubt experience in the fall.
                                If you are a coach yes your should survey the parents like many other coaches have done. Find out how big your group is and see if you need a volunteer to have two small groups. It's not hard. As a coach I am concerned that some of my kids who cannot afford club soccer but love the sport and want to gain skill are missing out during important middle school years. A team B team no matter all kids should get the time back they lost on the field. Many of my kids haven't touched a ball since October with a coaches support. Not because they aren't competitive but because their family can afford town programs only. I'm frustrated with the lack of dedicated coaches in this state. If you don't care about your players right now after being shut in all spring then you shouldn't coach. They need an outlet right now beyond their own backyards. Give them practices to see other players and to work on foot skills, juggling, shooting whatever. So much you can do if you try. Please don't coach if you don't care.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X