Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Soccer

So I just heard on the news in RI that Little League can start up starting next Monday. I would think that soccer could do the same? We really should make-up Spring Season over the Summer or sadly I think that soccer will continue to lose participation as other sports start up.

What is the exact source of what you've heard? Need to know the specifics so we could translate to soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      What is the exact source of what you've heard? Need to know the specifics so we could translate to soccer.
      WJAR Channel 10 news today (Tuesday) it was after they reported on it yesterday...I just happened to be sitting in front of the news and Mario was following up from yesterday.

Comment

I am rewatching the news on channel 10 since it seems news stories are on repeat. It was Mario Hilario who said it today (Tuesday) following up on a report from yesterday. The initial report was "Little League teams wonder about future of baseball as pandemic throws curve ball" on Monday. Then Mario followed up today saying that they are going to start practices... if I find anything in writing with what he said today I will copy paste the link.

Comment

Found it. From Ch 10: "America’s Little League Association says leagues can pick up play after May 11, but that means nothing here in Rhode Island if Gov. Gina Raimondo’s guidelines say otherwise."

That's like USYS saying their return to activity date is May 15th. Unfortunately means nothing if town fields are closed locally. It's a governing statement generally for insurance purposes.

Comment

Found it. From Ch 10: "America’s Little League Association says leagues can pick up play after May 11, but that means nothing here in Rhode Island if Gov. Gina Raimondo’s guidelines say otherwise."

That's like USYS saying their return to activity date is May 15th. Unfortunately means nothing if town fields are closed locally. It's a governing statement generally for insurance purposes.
            Something to stay on top of because the state is opening up quicker than we thought. Governor will have beaches open by summer and bigger groups by July, I think we could make-up the spring season July-Aug as we will likely be in phase 3 by then. I think soccer closed the door too quickly falling in line with the public schools. In the meantime restaurants, daycares, and retail shops are starting to reopen. We should watch what other states are doing because the governors are easing restrictions.

Comment

Something to stay on top of because the state is opening up quicker than we thought. Governor will have beaches open by summer and bigger groups by July, I think we could make-up the spring season July-Aug as we will likely be in phase 3 by then. I think soccer closed the door too quickly falling in line with the public schools. In the meantime restaurants, daycares, and retail shops are starting to reopen. We should watch what other states are doing because the governors are easing restrictions.
              Each phase of the reopening has a gateway in terms of 14-day trend in cases OR hospitalizations. At this moment, we don't even appear to be on track going into phase 1 on May 9.

Comment

Each phase of the reopening has a gateway in terms of 14-day trend in cases OR hospitalizations. At this moment, we don't even appear to be on track going into phase 1 on May 9.
                All depends on how you look at it. Straight new daily cases was still increasing two weeks ago, but started to decline a little over a week ago. There are discrepancies about when cases were reported, so if you look at the 3-day moving average, looks like new cases peaked Apr 26 and have been steadily declining (with an oddly high number on May 2 and zero on May 4, which the moving average helps smooths out). And if you're looking at percentage of new cases, 14 days ago we were at 8%, which had been more or less steady for a week, and we've gradually eased to the 2%-4% range.

So all in all, the numbers I've been keeping an eye on are tracking in the right direction. The curve was flattened a while ago. Why we're all still basically in house arrest is either down to unscientific fear or authoritarian conspiracy. Or a smattering of each.

Comment

All depends on how you look at it. Straight new daily cases was still increasing two weeks ago, but started to decline a little over a week ago. There are discrepancies about when cases were reported, so if you look at the 3-day moving average, looks like new cases peaked Apr 26 and have been steadily declining...
                  The day-to-day variation is one reason why the plan calls for stable 14-day downward trend for each phase. Another reason is that you'd expect new spreading events to become evident in about 14 days.

So all in all, the numbers I've been keeping an eye on are tracking in the right direction. The curve was flattened a while ago. Why we're all still basically in house arrest is either down to unscientific fear or authoritarian conspiracy. Or a smattering of each.
                  A better explanation for our still being in lockdown is that we need time for the curve to actually tail off, meaning infections are burning themselves out in isolation without a lot of further spreading. Those numbers aren't going to be tracking the way anyone would want if we just open the doors tomorrow.

Comment

All spring sports canceled no matter what. If u think they're on, u so stupid

Comment

Some of the states are opening up soccer ... lucky. We are in a more cautious state in terms of opening but I see phase 1 starts Sat. Phase 2 a few weeks after. I know the die hard soccer players are already playing in small groups in their backyards. Good. There will be so much backyard and street soccer this summer and... it will be free! See ya later club soccer, backyard soccer will be on!

Comment

The day-to-day variation is one reason why the plan calls for stable 14-day downward trend for each phase. Another reason is that you'd expect new spreading events to become evident in about 14 days.

A better explanation for our still being in lockdown is that we need time for the curve to actually tail off, meaning infections are burning themselves out in isolation without a lot of further spreading. Those numbers aren't going to be tracking the way anyone would want if we just open the doors tomorrow.
                        Sure. Whatever you say. I guess Sweden, and now Germany, aren't as smart as the "experts" you're relying on.

Comment

Some of the states are opening up soccer ... lucky. We are in a more cautious state in terms of opening but I see phase 1 starts Sat. Phase 2 a few weeks after. I know the die hard soccer players are already playing in small groups in their backyards. Good. There will be so much backyard and street soccer this summer and... it will be free! See ya later club soccer, backyard soccer will be on!
                          Bro, only states that are opening back up are the ones in the northwest. Were right between new york and mass, so unless u wanna get the virus, by all mean, go ahead.

Comment

Sure. Whatever you say. I guess Sweden, and now Germany, aren't as smart as the "experts" you're relying on.
                            Germany has vastly fewer deaths per capita than we do and is in a phased reopening sequence. Sweden own lockdown boss is saying that the number of deaths there was a big shock, and he isn't convinced they choose the right strategy. Their per capita death rate is now HIGHER than ours.

Comment

Germany has vastly fewer deaths per capita than we do and is in a phased reopening sequence. Sweden own lockdown boss is saying that the number of deaths there was a big shock, and he isn't convinced they choose the right strategy. Their per capita death rate is now HIGHER than ours.
                              As far as Sweden goes, it's about the original announced strategy of "flattening the curve." Everyone seems to have quickly forgotten that all this curtailment of freedom was intended to save the lives of those who would have died as a result of the healthcare system being overwhelmed. NOT to save the lives of EVERYONE. The virus is out there, and the number under the curve is unlikely to change, no matter how flat you try to make it. Those who will die will die, eventually. The healthcare system has NOT been overwhelmed, so there's no need to remain in the state we are in. And THAT is what Sweden has always known, and what Germany, Austria, etc., are finally opening their eyes to. But not us. Let's keep our heads in the sand and drag this pain out as long as possible.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X