X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You had me at “competitive”....
    You don’t think that the DA was competitive?

Comment

DPL league is scooping up most of the GDA clubs so the DA competitive model should remain about the same.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://www.powrcdn.com/app_images/resizable/FINAL-GAL-_2741a886_1587224824868.pdf
      Which clubs have they 'scooped' up? Not one club named, seem more like the 'hope' to scoop up. Has anyone ever heard of this 'league'?

Comment

So why not reach out to the HS team coach and talk about soccer? They might be surprised to hear and see that it can be valuable and fun. After all - here in NH about half of the girls soccer coaches in HS are club coaches. And - the ones who are not club coaches are still pretty good and just about all have their coaching diplomas.

Folks crap on HS coaches on this board but there are some really good ones. I know! My daughter plays for a good one in Bow!

You have no idea of the relationship between my daughter and the HS coach.

Comment

Hope your kid can make a Stars ECNL roster if NPL isn’t in her future.
          I'll tell you the same thing we had to tell the Stars coach when offered an ECNL spot: We just cannot make practices enough being where you are located. So, we declined.

Comment

Which clubs have they 'scooped' up? Not one club named, seem more like the 'hope' to scoop up. Has anyone ever heard of this 'league'?
            Patience, all in due time...

Comment

Serious question about DPL. They allow HS and have different sub rules than GDA. So rather than SSS, NEFC, SUSC and Oakwood joining, why wouldn't they just put their top team back in NPL and cut out some of the unnecessary travel? In other parts of the country, DPL was for 2nd tier teams anyway and several of those clubs top tier teams are going to ECNL, meaning it remain second tier for them. I'm just trying to see what the appeal of DPL would be when it doesn't include the things that made GDA unique. I am not trying to put it down. Rather trying to understand the benefit as a parent of a girl who turned down GDA as she loves her HS team. Not sure why this should interest us now...just to drive to NY? Is there more?

Comment

Serious question about DPL. They allow HS and have different sub rules than GDA. So rather than SSS, NEFC, SUSC and Oakwood joining, why wouldn't they just put their top team back in NPL and cut out some of the unnecessary travel? In other parts of the country, DPL was for 2nd tier teams anyway and several of those clubs top tier teams are going to ECNL, meaning it remain second tier for them. I'm just trying to see what the appeal of DPL would be when it doesn't include the things that made GDA unique. I am not trying to put it down. Rather trying to understand the benefit as a parent of a girl who turned down GDA as she loves her HS team. Not sure why this should interest us now...just to drive to NY? Is there more?
                All the good things about DA (better competition, potential for National exposure, enhanced Regional exposure, all easier to get to for most of the market than an ECNL club) without the negatives for some of DA (no HS, college-based subbing rules), the question would be "why not"?

I know of players who moved to ECNL teams upon getting to HS age who are looking to come back now for that reason alone.

Comment

I see. Thank you. I didn't realize DPL offered exposure like ECNL. I had heard it's perceived as second tier in other areas. Sounds like that was wrong and those benefits you mentioned makes sense. We will keep it in mind, should we be offered a place.

Comment

I see. Thank you. I didn't realize DPL offered exposure like ECNL. I had heard it's perceived as second tier in other areas. Sounds like that was wrong and those benefits you mentioned makes sense. We will keep it in mind, should we be offered a place.
                    To be clear, I am not sure if the DPL will be the league. Talk is the DA clubs forming something, and they need to be incorporated into an existing platform (US Youth Soccer, US Club Soccer, etc.). DPL, as currently constructed, is a 2nd tier/younger age group concentrated out West (I believe). That would change with this new iteration.

I heard DPL through talking-soccer, so if history holds this was made up (!) But, I expect something similar to be involved. Time will tell.

Comment

Why would anyone trust any of these soccer organizations anymore... what a complete and total waste of time/money? Oh this league is going to be great (fail). Oh no, I meant this one (fail). Oh, I meant if we restructure all the age groups to match up with birth years that’s when it’s going to be great (fail)....

Comment

Why would anyone trust any of these soccer organizations anymore... what a complete and total waste of time/money? Oh this league is going to be great (fail). Oh no, I meant this one (fail). Oh, I meant if we restructure all the age groups to match up with birth years that’s when it’s going to be great (fail)....
                        And, your solution is....?

Comment

We sat in that meeting at SUSC three years ago and listened to the DA pitch with our then 13 year old daughter. We bit and went for the shiny new thing.

She played, she played over 60 minutes per game and was a starter in the one year. However, none of the promises were ever delivered on and we left after one year.

There was not an increase in level of coaching. There was not a greater emphasis on development and skill. We saw the same passing pattern practices and drills with ZERO creativity or problem solving.

We saw it failing then and we loved our move to GPS and HS soccer. Our daughter loves her HS program and coach. She loves the game.

NH cannot support this level of soccer and now nationally they are dead too. NPL and ECNL have proven perfectly capable of providing excellent exposure and play.

Comment

And, your solution is....?
                            A single governing body with a pyramid system with support for a true low-cost "pathway".

On the boys side New England Revolution sit at the top of this pyramid, along with other MLS academies.

Second level is the New England Revolution Regional teams. Maybe 5 or 6 teams - one in East CT, one in RI, one in south east NH, the rest around Boston and central MA. These teams can be admined by Revolution, coaches can get a stipend and support from Revs coaches. The primary purpose is to keep them affordable and be the feeder to the top Revolution team

How these top 2 tiers are organized could take different paths. I like the idea of all of the teams playing each other, then once per month the top level team goes to play against other MLS academies in some format.

Level 3 can continue to be a regional league ala NPL but the league should be independent of the clubs, not a "closed shop". This can be a mixture of for profit and low cost teams

Level 4 can be state/local leagues.

Level 5 is rec

Comment

We sat in that meeting at SUSC three years ago and listened to the DA pitch with our then 13 year old daughter. We bit and went for the shiny new thing.

She played, she played over 60 minutes per game and was a starter in the one year. However, none of the promises were ever delivered on and we left after one year.

There was not an increase in level of coaching. There was not a greater emphasis on development and skill. We saw the same passing pattern practices and drills with ZERO creativity or problem solving.

We saw it failing then and we loved our move to GPS and HS soccer. Our daughter loves her HS program and coach. She loves the game.

NH cannot support this level of soccer and now nationally they are dead too. NPL and ECNL have proven perfectly capable of providing excellent exposure and play.
                              That is your experience and thank you for sharing.

We had a much more, positive experience.

It's important to get real-life examples from all sides so everyone looking for first-hand information has it available to them.

Comment

A single governing body with a pyramid system with support for a true low-cost "pathway".

On the boys side New England Revolution sit at the top of this pyramid, along with other MLS academies.

Second level is the New England Revolution Regional teams. Maybe 5 or 6 teams - one in East CT, one in RI, one in south east NH, the rest around Boston and central MA. These teams can be admined by Revolution, coaches can get a stipend and support from Revs coaches. The primary purpose is to keep them affordable and be the feeder to the top Revolution team

How these top 2 tiers are organized could take different paths. I like the idea of all of the teams playing each other, then once per month the top level team goes to play against other MLS academies in some format.

Level 3 can continue to be a regional league ala NPL but the league should be independent of the clubs, not a "closed shop". This can be a mixture of for profit and low cost teams

Level 4 can be state/local leagues.

Level 5 is rec
                                Great suggestions. What is holding it back, IMO, is we need to get Clubs out of the league-running business. For all it's faults, and there were many, USSF running the DA programs was agnostic to Club's whims.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X