Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

improving skills or falling behind?

In our club, I'm noticing kids seem to fall into one of two categories during this covid break. Some are taking it as an opportunity to work on their technical skills on their own and/or in private training. They will likely come out of this situation better off than had the break not occurred. The other group is taking it as an opportunity to play video games and eat cheetos.

This is probably always the case even in normal times, but it seems magnified by covid, at least to me.

You seeing this at your clubs as well? Many kids taking the opportunity to really dig in?

same here

I coach an NPSL D1 select team. Good team for the level. Not great. We're seeing the exact same thing--about a third of the kids are really getting after it and improving their ball skills. I've seen some big leaps in these kids in their first touch, dribbling, juggling, and confidence. The middle third are treading water skill-wise, doing a little bit of technical work here and there but not progressing in any meaningful way. And the final third aren't doing much other than the social-distance team training sessions. I expect this latter third will soon be passed by the kids on our club's B-team who are working harder. We use the Techne app, so it's easy for coaches to see who's putting in the time.

Comment

Seeing that same thing from my point of view, although I don't believe some kids would come off better than having a regular season. Real games will never substitute any form of training. Technical skills and fitness could be increased at a higher rate now than if a regular season was happening since there is more free time, but over the quality of soccer will diminish for everyone.

When, or if, things ever get back to normal, the amount of movements between teams if going to be drastic.

Comment

^^^meant to say "overall the quality of soccer will diminish"

Comment

You are really overthinking this problem. Just imagine that everyone got injured and everyone is recovering from that injury, like an ACL tear. Those who are dedicated and have the mental and physical willpower will come back to the sport. Those who are not will fade away. We will see by next spring who wants to play and who wants to quit.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X