Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My player loves soccer and can’t wait to play matches again. They don’t care about scholarship amount. We are blessed to be able to pay for college. My player is also blessed with having multiple D1 options but my player cares about if they like the school, coaches and team. Visiting has helped narrow their list but there are still several more colleges they haven’t been able to see yet due to Covid. All are across the country which makes it even harder. If the NCAA is going to extend the dead period again, it would be nice to know so we can plan accordingly. Anyone have inside info on the dead period specifically?
    They’ve been extending it every month since March. Latest deadline is 8/31, but they’ll probably extend that to 9/30. And if Covid is still spreading in Sept, it will go to 10/31 and so on and so on. You’ve been blessed with so much, surely the good Lord blessed you with internet access and Google to look this up yourself?

Comment

The NCAA only cares about the big schools. Most of them are done recruiting, so it's convenient for the big schools to extend the dead period, and the NCAA will oblige.

Comment

They’ve been extending it every month since March. Latest deadline is 8/31, but they’ll probably extend that to 9/30. And if Covid is still spreading in Sept, it will go to 10/31 and so on and so on. You’ve been blessed with so much, surely the good Lord blessed you with internet access and Google to look this up yourself?
        My kid's coach told my kid to be prepared for it to get extended through November, but that was before schools started cancelling their seasons.

Comment

The NCAA only cares about the big schools. Most of them are done recruiting, so it's convenient for the big schools to extend the dead period, and the NCAA will oblige.
          It's going to start to be inconvenient for big football and basketball programs. Not sure how much longer they will keep it up. However, the issue isn't just the dead period but that many schools don't want outside people on campus. If they're not doing regular school tours, they're definitely not allowing ID camps.

Comment

Most likely, and furthermore you may not even find many sports scholarships will be offered in any sports. The economic fallout from the coronavirus on college athletic budgets can not be underestimated. There will be massive budget shortages in all departments of the schools and there will be massive cuts across the board, look for sports scholarships to be drastically reduced or even eliminated all together. Tough for colleges to give out sports money when the sports aren’t even being played.

It’s a bitter pill for all the kids and parents who have spent tons of money on high priced youth soccer it could be the beginning of the end of the crazy expensive national youth leagues. When the carrot of a D1 ride doesn’t exist it will be hard to justify all of the travel and expense that comes with the national leagues.
            You are the same poster pushing negative opinions on each topic and starting new threads and responding to your own threads. You are a waste of space. Please, please, please call your ex-employer and see if they will take you back. Normal TS people need you off this board. You haven't posted one positive comment....you wanted GPS dead, you want other 'big' clubs dead, you want high school soccer cancelled, you want college recruitment cancelled, etc, etc. Why? What is your motive? Something really bad must've happened to you our your daughter with your soccer experience. Unbelievable.

Comment

Players can visit schools, they just can't talk to the coaches.
              We've heard the NCAA may push to 2021....will be a travesty for kids (and programs) but I get the rationale. Also, we've already been informed our school will not be hosting any guests/visitors to included reunions, homecoming, official/unofficials (probably includes admissions tours which will be offered 'virtually' I guess.

So, the dead period does hurt....essentially all we can do is talk on the phone. Some offers have gone out, but irresponsible in my mind if the kid hasn't even visited. That is why women's soccer has 650-ish in the transfer portal from last season alone!

Comment

We had plans to see several schools this summer to gear up for recruiting, but not one of them has in person tours. A few said they "hoped" in the fall. Luckily my player has time. Their older sibling who was a HS senior had decided on a program long before lockdowns started (no accepted student days for HS seniors anywhere). I can't imagine trying to make these important decisions on virtual tours and zoom calls.

But how much longer until big money football and basketball programs start complaining? Or is their pipeline so deep they can afford to wait?

Comment

We had plans to see several schools this summer to gear up for recruiting, but not one of them has in person tours. A few said they "hoped" in the fall. Luckily my player has time. Their older sibling who was a HS senior had decided on a program long before lockdowns started (no accepted student days for HS seniors anywhere). I can't imagine trying to make these important decisions on virtual tours and zoom calls.

But how much longer until big money football and basketball programs start complaining? Or is their pipeline so deep they can afford to wait?
                  It is the hand mine was dealt too. He’s not happy but he’s getting offers and attention despite the situation. It’s wont be his last obstacle. Taught him nothing is given and life is always changing

Comment

That is why women's soccer has 650-ish in the transfer portal from last season alone!
                    Whoa, that's a large number! Are these stats public knowledge? Do we know where transfers are leaving/going? With all this movement it will be interesting to see how many classes below it effects. I know the 2022s were up next (June 15th recruiting ban lifted), so you would imagine the 2023s are in just as bad shape.

When do you think things will get back on track (return to normal I don't think is an option, although I'm sure we would all like that)? How will this change recruiting moving forward?

Comment

Whoa, that's a large number! Are these stats public knowledge? Do we know where transfers are leaving/going? With all this movement it will be interesting to see how many classes below it effects. I know the 2022s were up next (June 15th recruiting ban lifted), so you would imagine the 2023s are in just as bad shape.

When do you think things will get back on track (return to normal I don't think is an option, although I'm sure we would all like that)? How will this change recruiting moving forward?
                      Public at least to the coaches as their is a national portal accessible to all of us now. They are going to a school other than where they were...lol. It's a product of the early commitment in women's soccer. Has been alleviated a bit with the new rules, but my opinion is it also made it worse in some aspects because players are able to commit before they can even legally do an unofficial/official visit (which wasn't the case before). So, now you have players pressured into committing without ever seeing the school...that will result in many commitments that simply aren't 'good fits'.

Not sure what you mean by "June 15 recruiting ban lifted"? Dead Period is still in effect. 2022s were able to start speaking with coaches on June 15, as planned, but with a dead period in effect until August 31 (and likely end of year or 2021), there can be no in person recruiting (games, visits, clinics, etc)

Comment

Public at least to the coaches as their is a national portal accessible to all of us now. They are going to a school other than where they were...lol. It's a product of the early commitment in women's soccer. Has been alleviated a bit with the new rules, but my opinion is it also made it worse in some aspects because players are able to commit before they can even legally do an unofficial/official visit (which wasn't the case before). So, now you have players pressured into committing without ever seeing the school...that will result in many commitments that simply aren't 'good fits'.

Not sure what you mean by "June 15 recruiting ban lifted"? Dead Period is still in effect. 2022s were able to start speaking with coaches on June 15, as planned, but with a dead period in effect until August 31 (and likely end of year or 2021), there can be no in person recruiting (games, visits, clinics, etc)
                        SORRY I meant THERE not their :/

Comment

Colleges aren’t totally locked up. If a recruit wants to do an unofficial visit, they can get in their car and go there and just walk around.

This is where it’s important to just like the school even if soccer is taken out of the equation. There are no guarantees you’ll like playing there. Coaches leave or you don’t like your teammates or something else happens. So you need to like the school first and foremost.

Comment

Colleges aren’t totally locked up. If a recruit wants to do an unofficial visit, they can get in their car and go there and just walk around.

This is where it’s important to just like the school even if soccer is taken out of the equation. There are no guarantees you’ll like playing there. Coaches leave or you don’t like your teammates or something else happens. So you need to like the school first and foremost.
                            Your last line has always been true, regardless of how you pick a school or when. But now kids can't visit when school is in session or even running tours. Walking around an empty campus doesn't give you a vibe for the place. If a school isn't drivable (like some of my kids' top picks are) we definitely are not flying to do that. Other things like meeting some of the team or sitting in on a class won't be happening - assuming a school is even open in the fall.

Comment

Well then that would be a drive by, not an 'unofficial visit'. Without a lift of the ban we are not allowed to meet with recruits, nor are they allowed to meet the team, stay over in dorms, meet academic advisors and athletic department administrators, get facilities tours, eat meals with the staff and team, etc. Even if they lifted the ban tomorrow, we've been told there will be no visitors to campus through the end of the year, so aside from strolling through campus, you can't even eat on campus, access any dorms, libraries, or athletic facilities, and won't be able to until at least next year. There's no way to really get a feel for the program, players or school in the absence of all that.

Recruiting is greatly impacted by all of this and until the NCAA ensures everyone is able to fully open and host visits and clinics, they will likely keep extending the deadline to ensure no program has an advantage over another. The kids are going to probably lose a year minimum.

Comment

Well then that would be a drive by, not an 'unofficial visit'. Without a lift of the ban we are not allowed to meet with recruits, nor are they allowed to meet the team, stay over in dorms, meet academic advisors and athletic department administrators, get facilities tours, eat meals with the staff and team, etc. Even if they lifted the ban tomorrow, we've been told there will be no visitors to campus through the end of the year, so aside from strolling through campus, you can't even eat on campus, access any dorms, libraries, or athletic facilities, and won't be able to until at least next year. There's no way to really get a feel for the program, players or school in the absence of all that.

Recruiting is greatly impacted by all of this and until the NCAA ensures everyone is able to fully open and host visits and clinics, they will likely keep extending the deadline to ensure no program has an advantage over another. The kids are going to probably lose a year minimum.
                                Agree with everything you say, but I was responding to the comment about feeling pressured to commit without the benefit of a visit. “Pressured” is a little melodramatic. The majority of prospective students don’t get the benefit of the sleep over, behind the scenes look at the school that athletes do. These athletes will just have to suck it up and make their decision like the non-athletes that get the one hour walk around tour.

Like I said, if you are really interested in a school, then take the time and visit regardless of how little you might be able to see. Take the soccer out of the equation and just look at the environment and facilities and ask yourself if you could see yourself there.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X