Timbers Discovery Program

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go tryout for a club and if your kido makes the might Timbers Academy Program (best in the country) you can tell the club to kick rocks. OR you use this experience to understand it's a horrible program and just play club soccer. Your choice.

Comment

Seems to be some raw feelings here. My son made ODP the last two years and I suspect will be offered a position on the TA this year. I have some concerns though and was hoping that someone that has "been there and done that" could help answer. Please. Please. Please........ if you do not know then do not post. This site is full of rumors and untruths and is borderline useless because of that. I am a parent trying to help my kid get things figured out.

- TA only has U15, U17, U19 and U21 (minimum that MLS said they HAD to do) as well as the new MLS Next Pro. The TA does not have the best in coaching nor is their record at any given age good. From all appearances it seems substandard when compared to other MLS Next clubs.

-- What happens after U15? Do they hang out and wait for U17 games or go back to club soccer for a year then get invited back?
      -- We were told that there are very few U17 from Oregon and very very few on the U19 club. Like 2 total. Does it even make sense to have your son join this program then most likely have to go back to club soccer in year or two?
      -- Is it worth giving up HS sports to play with them

For me, we are on the fence. The Discovery had decent training and was great from the social aspect. But as decision time comes there is some confusion on what we should do.

Comment

Joining up with the clueless, seems like a perfect fit for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          Seems to be some raw feelings here. My son made ODP the last two years and I suspect will be offered a position on the TA this year. I have some concerns though and was hoping that someone that has "been there and done that" could help answer. Please. Please. Please........ if you do not know then do not post. This site is full of rumors and untruths and is borderline useless because of that. I am a parent trying to help my kid get things figured out.

- TA only has U15, U17, U19 and U21 (minimum that MLS said they HAD to do) as well as the new MLS Next Pro. The TA does not have the best in coaching nor is their record at any given age good. From all appearances it seems substandard when compared to other MLS Next clubs.

-- What happens after U15? Do they hang out and wait for U17 games or go back to club soccer for a year then get invited back?
          -- We were told that there are very few U17 from Oregon and very very few on the U19 club. Like 2 total. Does it even make sense to have your son join this program then most likely have to go back to club soccer in year or two?
          -- Is it worth giving up HS sports to play with them

For me, we are on the fence. The Discovery had decent training and was great from the social aspect. But as decision time comes there is some confusion on what we should do.
          Not being mean, just telling you the truth. If you don't have the answers to the above, don't do it. You will not be able to help you son through this very difficult process of playing for a professional team.

Comment

There’s no u19 next year it’s t2 only after u17 now .

the u15 are in a year and only a large handful will
            be on the u17 next year because of not playing kids up to u19 as an option and the older boys are better.

if your kid is top 8 in discovery it’s probably worth it even for a year .

If they aren’t I wouldn’t do it.

-an actual TA parent

Comment

There’s no u19 next year it’s t2 only after u17 now .

the u15 are in a year and only a large handful will
              be on the u17 next year because of not playing kids up to u19 as an option and the older boys are better.

if your kid is top 8 in discovery it’s probably worth it even for a year .

If they aren’t I wouldn’t do it.

-an actual TA parent

Agree- most boys who make the U15 are one and done and have to return to their home teams. This is a year after year fact that the TA doesn't want people to know. The coaches and admin are not going to be honest with any parent.

It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be a good player, play with good players and quickly be discarded back into the OYSA pile (or ECNL now that UPDX stepped up)

Comment

Right or wrong the academy is something the Timbers do not put a lot stock in, for that matter the reserve team (the old T2) either. Personally I don't see the reward for the investment even if the Timbers did put a ton of money into it. Look at FC Dallas, top academy and they are not really packing the trophy case full. I actually like what they did with the Thorns academy. Let a club run it.

Comment

Right or wrong the academy is something the Timbers do not put a lot stock in, for that matter the reserve team (the old T2) either. Personally I don't see the reward for the investment even if the Timbers did put a ton of money into it. Look at FC Dallas, top academy and they are not really packing the trophy case full. I actually like what they did with the Thorns academy. Let a club run it.
                  Fc Dallas funds their whole soccer off the youth soccer teams. 100s of teams and parents paying 3500 a player is big money. The academy is free of course and then they sign and sell their players constantly. The Hunts aren’t in for making future soccer players they are for making money like every other company is.

they have started buying this year though so something changed

Comment

I've heard the TA is telling the U15 kids who is being offered another year and who isn't this week and sending out invites to the 08 kids this coming week.

Comment

I've heard the TA is telling the U15 kids who is being offered another year and who isn't this week and sending out invites to the 08 kids this coming week.
                      Seems odd timing with them in Texas at GA maybe ina few weeks

Comment

What’s the word? When do the Timbers make or break our sons soccer lives?

Comment

What’s the word? When do the Timbers make or break our sons soccer lives?
                          Never

Comment

This has to be the most disorganized cluster of XXX that I have ever been a part of.

Comment

This has to be the most disorganized cluster of XXX that I have ever been a part of.
                              Just wait … this is only the beginning .

Comment

So, correct me if I am wrong.

For the 2008 boys they have offered about 12 kids full-time commitment positions, have about 14 who were offered full time training position and everyone else was cut? Also heard that there was like 6-8 09 kids added to the 08 roster.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X