Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I don't see what the schools situation has anything to do with our youth programs quite honestly. This isn't school sports and many kids parents are already opting to homeschool so you won't get a fair assessment of how kids are affected when not all kids or districts are returning to in school right away. Let the youth sports and clubs continue to phase open with games this fall. If you really feel pushing the first game back a couple weeks helps you sleep at night fine. But the real surge is happening now, not due to kids, due to the overcrowded beaches, large cookouts and parties, and don't forget the lovely protestors that caused a spike. Fall will actually be quieter time once the weather shifts and tourists finally leave our state.
    It has a lot - you think if there is an outbreak in schools that weekend club sports will just go on as if nothing has changed? It will be the spring all over.

I don't have any real concerns except people who like someone I met at a (small) party who after the fact said "oh by the way, I went to Florida for a funeral last month but I haven't shown any symptoms." Just look at the school over the border in MA doing in person remedial school- 3 positives in the first week.

My concern is you get going say Labor Day and bang, first two weeks of schools you have kids (and let's be honest, while some more may "homeschool", I doubt it will be in great numbers - I'm back at work and my wife isn't going to repeat the spring, especially when the school district is doing in person classes so it's not as everyone is going through it remotely) back in school with no plans as far as I know to test them ahead of time.

Just don't want to ramp up and have the rug pulled out like the spring.

But we'll see what the all powerful Oz says on Wed as hopefully she spills the beans on HS athletics..

Comment

Okay first of all you can’t require anyone under 18 to be tested plus the testing have been problematic (false positives and negatives.) So no testing teachers or kids unless teachers to choose to do so voluntarily which make zero sense since they can get exposed to Covid the next day. If you want to see where we are at offer all students, parents, teachers and admin the antibody tests to see which districts might have already been exposed.

I don’t think I’m school is going to be successful. If you really want your kids in school go for it if available but the teachers don’t want to be there they are scared. The admin are exhausted just thinking about all the possible scenarios. I get that kids may have failed but it’s going to be a mess. The schools will open them close.

So give the kids their sports but keep them home for school. This way they are a bit safer and they still get excercise and socialization. Kids not in sports could have play dates and study dates maybe with the same three families or something. Sports can be successful but in school learning will fail.

Comment

Okay first of all you can’t require anyone under 18 to be tested plus the testing have been problematic (false positives and negatives.) So no testing teachers or kids unless teachers to choose to do so voluntarily which make zero sense since they can get exposed to Covid the next day. If you want to see where we are at offer all students, parents, teachers and admin the antibody tests to see which districts might have already been exposed.

I don’t think I’m school is going to be successful. If you really want your kids in school go for it if available but the teachers don’t want to be there they are scared. The admin are exhausted just thinking about all the possible scenarios. I get that kids may have failed but it’s going to be a mess. The schools will open them close.

So give the kids their sports but keep them home for school. This way they are a bit safer and they still get excercise and socialization. Kids not in sports could have play dates and study dates maybe with the same three families or something. Sports can be successful but in school learning will fail.
        You're not having organized sports if schools close. If you can have a pod of kids with a coach and have them in close contact, then you can have them in a classroom. Don't kid yourself, soccer isn't that important that the state will say no school but soccer games are okay.

Comment

You're not having organized sports if schools close. If you can have a pod of kids with a coach and have them in close contact, then you can have them in a classroom. Don't kid yourself, soccer isn't that important that the state will say no school but soccer games are okay.
          It might not be so bad if the only in-person schooling for most students in the fall was field trips/hands-on learning and PE/sports, with some basic precautions adequate downtime in between activities.

That's essentially what businesses are doing.

Comment

It's not that soccer is "that important," but physical activity and face-to-face socialization are very important in children. And from what it sounds like, the school plan doesn't involve a lot of that.

Comment

It's not that soccer is "that important," but physical activity and face-to-face socialization are very important in children. And from what it sounds like, the school plan doesn't involve a lot of that.
              I agree, which is the point in person school is important to out of school sports. My school's plan includes full PE (not sure exactly what that means) and music/art. The high school is half day but still full course load, including PE. Of course, athletics is TBD but they have run camps and have tryouts scheduled.

Just pointing out that the state isn't going to say sure in person school is cancelled but weekend sports is still okay, even recognizing the importance of such activities. The club system has a vested interest in the school system working.

I do agree cancel MS soccer this year though.

Comment

So since most of the clubs play in MA... looks like the club kids get to play. Happy for the club kids. Happy for the parents who can afford it. One person said all the serious players are already playing club...but I know of some really good players who's parents said nope can't afford club or nope I work too much can't get to all the practices. Either way there are serious good boys and girls I can think of ages 9-17 who are not in clubs but are really good town players. Because we still aren't approved to play games those kids are not going to get a season. Total shame.

Comment

So since most of the clubs play in MA... looks like the club kids get to play. Happy for the club kids. Happy for the parents who can afford it. One person said all the serious players are already playing club...but I know of some really good players who's parents said nope can't afford club or nope I work too much can't get to all the practices. Either way there are serious good boys and girls I can think of ages 9-17 who are not in clubs but are really good town players. Because we still aren't approved to play games those kids are not going to get a season. Total shame.
                  SRI thinks that Rec soccer is "good enough". Sad!

Comment

My daughter is a higher end player on a very good team. She played and loved playing for her town team but it was obvious where she was learning her skills from. We stopped playing town because of the anti club environment on the sideline. We did not get any pressure from our club in fact our coach has always told us the more touches the better and encouraged her to play as long as she enjoyed it.
                    There is no reason for town soccer and club soccer to compete but until town soccer understand that they will lose more and more talent.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2806621]My daughter is a higher end player on a very good team. She played and loved playing for her town team but it was obvious where she was learning her skills from. We stopped playing town because of the anti club environment on the sideline. We did not get any pressure from our club in fact our coach has always told us the more touches the better and encouraged her to play as long as she enjoyed it.
                      There is no reason for town soccer and club soccer to compete but until town soccer understand that they will lose more and more talent.[/QUOtE

Most town programs have club players who still play in town. If your town program is anti-club there are other options.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2808987]
                        My daughter is a higher end player on a very good team. She played and loved playing for her town team but it was obvious where she was learning her skills from. We stopped playing town because of the anti club environment on the sideline. We did not get any pressure from our club in fact our coach has always told us the more touches the better and encouraged her to play as long as she enjoyed it.
                        There is no reason for town soccer and club soccer to compete but until town soccer understand that they will lose more and more talent.[/QUOtE

Most town programs have club players who still play in town. If your town program is anti-club there are other options.
                        And then there is our town. Political. Anti-club but only of certain clubs, then super supportive of other clubs. Very strange. There is no reason for them to compete and right now club is all our kids have anyway. So the towns will be shut down but some spring they are going to appreciate those club players as they will have been training all fall and winter and will be ready to carry their town teams as the town players will likely not have touches a ball for a year unless they played in their backyard. Yea, a year!!! Some players played last fall, their town provided no winter soccer, then spring cancelled. So the town only players have missed out a year by next spring! Club players been training the while time.

Comment

Town is Rec soccer with travel options. It is fun. It is family and friends time.
                          Club soccer is player development. It is more serious. More commitment.
                          Both are great and kids who enjoy the sport and want to play year-round can do both.
                          It's not one vs the other. Just different types of players. All good. Time to get along people. Bigger issues in the world. Let the kids play this fall both town and club. Lord knows school isn't going to be fun or social and very little exercise.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2809057]

And then there is our town. Political. Anti-club but only of certain clubs, then super supportive of other clubs. Very strange. There is no reason for them to compete and right now club is all our kids have anyway. So the towns will be shut down but some spring they are going to appreciate those club players as they will have been training all fall and winter and will be ready to carry their town teams as the town players will likely not have touches a ball for a year unless they played in their backyard. Yea, a year!!! Some players played last fall, their town provided no winter soccer, then spring cancelled. So the town only players have missed out a year by next spring! Club players been training the while time.
                            What town are you in?

Comment

Town is Rec soccer with travel options. It is fun. It is family and friends time.
                              Club soccer is player development. It is more serious. More commitment.
                              Both are great and kids who enjoy the sport and want to play year-round can do both.
                              It's not one vs the other. Just different types of players. All good. Time to get along people. Bigger issues in the world. Let the kids play this fall both town and club. Lord knows school isn't going to be fun or social and very little exercise.
                              Again with the over-generalization. Our town has many licensed, experienced coaches. We partner with professional organizations for clinics, futsal, camps, encourage ODP etc. At the young ages especially we help players develop and when they start Premier they start on better teams and get a true Premier experience. Not the B teams.

Too many people assume they get their money's worth from Premier and they don't always

Comment

Again with the over-generalization. Our town has many licensed, experienced coaches. We partner with professional organizations for clinics, futsal, camps, encourage ODP etc. At the young ages especially we help players develop and when they start Premier they start on better teams and get a true Premier experience. Not the B teams.

Too many people assume they get their money's worth from Premier and they don't always
                                Exactly. Remember the pinnacle for the overwhelming majority of players who persist through high school age playing some form of "pay to play" soccer will be their high school team. If your child is good enough to be truly a college varsity recruit, then of course there isn't enough economies of scale in town level programs to meet the development needs.

But as noted, some of the premier B and C teams would be better off playing locally with the bulk of their high school teammates or in a more tailored "premier" (been out of the landscape a few years but something like smithfield and south county kids did).

Again though - this goes back to SRI protecting town fiefdoms and the weak premier scene 10-15 years ago -- instead of encouraging Academy style (where a group of towns could have paid non-parent, higher licensed coaches) at the u10 and below and separating out rec (which the town fiefdoms could own) from competitive (which should have had mandates on achieving certain size to encourage regionalization or at least spinning off the competitive portion and treat premier/competitive town as the same.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X