Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLS academies

Quick question, if a kid is at a MLS academy, say u16 or u17 is he allowed to leave once he gets a offer from say a division 1 school like wake forest? People say that MLS academies keep kids and own them and sometimes don’t let them leave, is that true? Debating whether it’s safe to send my kid to a MLS academy and his collegiate future won’t be in harm, I want him to have the backup in academics as well.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Quick question, if a kid is at a MLS academy, say u16 or u17 is he allowed to leave once he gets a offer from say a division 1 school like wake forest? People say that MLS academies keep kids and own them and sometimes don’t let them leave, is that true? Debating whether it’s safe to send my kid to a MLS academy and his collegiate future won’t be in harm, I want him to have the backup in academics as well.
    You can leave/stop playing any time you want with some important caveats

- you may not be allowed to join another MLS team unless you've been released from your current one. If you go to a different league that is fine.

- if it's a pay to play club you will owe them the remainder of your contract

- your college coach will expect you to come to their program well prepared which means continuing to play at the highest level possible until you arrive. Coaches understand not all the clubs and coaches are top notch, but for now the league is the most competitive. If you're thinking of leaving you better have a dam good reason for doing it

ps: odds your kid is playing at Wake Forest? pretty slim, especially without MLS. Do some research on the rosters at schools he's thinking about for a reality check. See where the players who actually play come from.

Comment

Is going to an MLS academy guaranteed a college scholarship from a decent or amazing college? Is that where the top notch d1 schools look?

Also, a lot of people say if your good your good, you will be seen anywhere. Do u agree with this? I mean if you have a really good kid that a playing for example on a terrible ecnl team can he go to a school like Georgetown realistically?

Comment

Is going to an MLS academy guaranteed a college scholarship from a decent or amazing college? Is that where the top notch d1 schools look?

Also, a lot of people say if your good your good, you will be seen anywhere. Do u agree with this? I mean if you have a really good kid that a playing for example on a terrible ecnl team can he go to a school like Georgetown realistically?
        Yes too many people focused on the league that isn’t even any good in Florida

Comment

Yes too many people focused on the league that isn’t even any good in Florida
          Do what the previous poster suggested and check the current rosters of the colleges for the players backgrounds. Thete is no such thing as good is good. You have different levels of competition and you are only ss good as your competition. Therefore while a kid may absolutely shine in a lower level league, there is no guarantee that he will shine as the level of competition gets better. NO college coach at a big time school is going to the lower levels of pre college competition to find recruits. Regardless of sport.

Comment

Do what the previous poster suggested and check the current rosters of the colleges for the players backgrounds. Thete is no such thing as good is good. You have different levels of competition and you are only ss good as your competition. Therefore while a kid may absolutely shine in a lower level league, there is no guarantee that he will shine as the level of competition gets better. NO college coach at a big time school is going to the lower levels of pre college competition to find recruits. Regardless of sport.
            Bs tell that to the Harvard football players that get into the nfl every year ! Or the countless other bs schools you never heard of! There are a ton of states speaking from a soccer perspective that don’t have mls! Those kids are going to div 1 schools all the time.

Comment

Bs tell that to the Harvard football players that get into the nfl every year ! Or the countless other bs schools you never heard of! There are a ton of states speaking from a soccer perspective that don’t have mls! Those kids are going to div 1 schools all the time.
              Then you are dumb. Those Harvard scholarship players are also really good players clown. Just like Stanford, the point is whatever pre college league they played in was actop league and they were probably top players. Dont be in such a rush to make stupid points. College coaches are not going to go recruit and hand out scholarships at events that are not high level competition. Dont be dense..

Comment

Huh? There are a lot of players in the NFL that played at Harvard? Not sure I believe that. The most players in the NFL come from the SEC. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why that is.

Comment

Huh? There are a lot of players in the NFL that played at Harvard? Not sure I believe that. The most players in the NFL come from the SEC. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why that is.
                  Yeah. That was a dumb statement even for this forum. Only 22 players drafted from Harvard since 1942...

Comment

This is exactly what is wrong with American soccer... people talking NFL on a soccer forum!

Comment

"division 1?" Sure it happens. But look at the rosters of top soccer programs. Nearly all will be from top MLS/DA clubs and overseas. University of East Bum Phuk, ranked 176, will have more players not from MLS/DA. More importantly who is playing? Coaches expect you to come in ready to rumble, and that's going to be a challenge if you're used to being the superstar in a less competitive league.

Comment

I use to be just like the da hugger parents. I fell for the joke also. I say again you do not need to be part of the mls to make a d1 college..they want you to believe that so you pay .not speaking of orlando city and inter..they are free..I am speaking of the pay to play mls. Talent always rises to the top where ever you play at.this is why we dont find talent ..we depend on a league to find the best players ..slot of talent out there guys..and know we aren't butt hurt . My son made the mls league . I see nothing special for what we pay .

Comment

I use to be just like the da hugger parents. I fell for the joke also. I say again you do not need to be part of the mls to make a d1 college..they want you to believe that so you pay .not speaking of orlando city and inter..they are free..I am speaking of the pay to play mls. Talent always rises to the top where ever you play at.this is why we dont find talent ..we depend on a league to find the best players ..slot of talent out there guys..and know we aren't butt hurt . My son made the mls league . I see nothing special for what we pay .
                          Another $$$ marketing level scam in the play to pay scheme. Some or even allot of the mls league teams are terrible. They would have trouble in the Rec leagues. That’s just a fact in Florida. It’s disorganized with no consistency in player selection. Have the $$$ your in.

Comment

Another $$$ marketing level scam in the play to pay scheme. Some or even allot of the mls league teams are terrible. They would have trouble in the Rec leagues. That’s just a fact in Florida. It’s disorganized with no consistency in player selection. Have the $$$ your in.
                            I truly believe its all rec in florida .your post is 100% accurate

Comment

I truly believe its all rec in florida .your post is 100% accurate
                              Disgusting coaches and training for whatever reason accross the state.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X