Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birth year trainings?

A few Washington clubs are and will be holding birth year trainings this month and in Dec. Any Or clubs doing this? Birth year trainings are basically open tryouts, right? I'm guessing coaches will start making their short list of players to form A teams and so forth.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    A few Washington clubs are and will be holding birth year trainings this month and in Dec. Any Or clubs doing this? Birth year trainings are basically open tryouts, right? I'm guessing coaches will start making their short list of players to form A teams and so forth.
    Open within the club. Players from other clubs need permission from their current club to go to a training session somewhere else. It's really not a big deal if your club has a common practice location for all age groups, already trains whole age groups together, and has a common coaching and playing philosophy at all age groups. Just a matter of shuffling the deck and moving on. Not really any different than getting different rosters every weekend.

The only people afraid of this change are those that have been protected by being on the same team with their friends since U9, or are at clubs with only 1 half decent team, and think they're about to be shuffled off to a lower level team now.

Comment

Only Oregon club I know of that is having birth year training sessions is Bend. Bend is a small-medium sized club so they are being proactive in managing the change to birth year and are working hard to have the best possible birth teams and a spot for everyone.

Our club (also a medium sized TA club) hasn't said a word to parents/players and many with power happen to have fall birthday players so there is currently a big behind the scenes push to keep teams together and just have all the youngers "just play up". Otherwise, many of the fall born A team players will go to the birth year team's bench or, the horror, the birth year B team. Or the fall B day players will be fine on the older birth year A team but they will only get to go with a handful of their friends, again, the horror. Let's face it the change hurts the fall born players so their parents are working like crazy to somehow keep their kids with the advantage. I can't blame them but it will never work in the long run because it is at the expense of more than half the players (the Jan-July/Aug players) and the teams will cease to be competitive. Pull the bandaid off and get on with it for the best for everyone like Bend is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Only Oregon club I know of that is having birth year training sessions is Bend. Bend is a small-medium sized club so they are being proactive in managing the change to birth year and are working hard to have the best possible birth teams and a spot for everyone.
        I believe BSC is as well

Comment

Makes sense for BSC. Good for them. A big club with the pool system like FCP is probably fine just reshuffling the pool deck, so to speak. I'm guessing many clubs may start these trainings after fall league and high school is over.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X