Birth year change will destroy the smaller clubs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a cop out. Hasn't stopped some PDX clubs, Bend, Washington clubs, SoCal &'NorCal clubs, & clubs from all over the U.S. from spelling out that we will all have to go to birth year by Aug 1st 2016 and Small Sided games by the next year, if not sooner. "Many details still being worked out...blah, blah, blah...we'll let you know as soon as we know more info." Don't be chickens, have the decency to communicate the news and the issues that are still being worked on to your paying customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This is the where stupidity is exemplified. You do realize the same situation exists today. The immature February or June kids have the same challenge. The only change is that the old kids for their age group are becoming the young ones. The howlers on this site are all parents of kids with August birthdays.
      Winner.

Comment

Yes. August...or September-December. Parents are mortified that little Mia, who has always been a starter on the A team, might not even make the A team when they become the youngest or will ride the pine. It's the Jan-July kids turn to be the oldest and reap the rewards. Isn't turn about fair play? The truly good Aug-Dec players will be fine. It's only the marginal players who have thus far succeeded mainly from just being older (the ones who currently don't make birth year elite teams) who will suffer. So be it. Train harder and hope they can improve their skills just like the Jan-July kids have had to do all these years.

Comment

Yes. August...or September-December. Parents are mortified that little Mia, who has always been a starter on the A team, might not even make the A team when they become the youngest or will ride the pine. It's the Jan-July kids turn to be the oldest and reap the rewards. Isn't turn about fair play? The truly good Aug-Dec players will be fine. It's only the marginal players who have thus far succeeded mainly from just being older (the ones who currently don't make birth year elite teams) who will suffer. So be it. Train harder and hope they can improve their skills just like the Jan-July kids have had to do all these years.
          And now the marginal January kids will get the spots instead. Doesn't seem to really improve the level of play overall, does it?

Comment

And now the marginal January kids will get the spots instead. Doesn't seem to really improve the level of play overall, does it?
            Vs. the marginal August kids, probably not. However, it makes a lot more sense. Now go take your marginal kid back to rec.

Comment

Yes, it will improve the level of play. All elite leagues run on birth year. Tailoring club soccer to kids who will excel in birth year allows them more instruction and playing time from a young age. This additional attention will produce better elite players at each birth year level. Standardizing the process will make system more efficient at finding and grooming more elite players. The rest of the kids will still have fun playing and making friends provided their parents simply let them.

Comment

You are all dip****s. This change is just smoke & mirrors. The same crappy development environment still exists at every club. The US has never produced a world class field player on the men's side and succeed on the women's side only because we have a huge headstart.

Spin your stupid noise about birth year this and that, nothing will change until the US fundamentally changes the very foundation of our approach to player development. The Pay To Play model is a giant anchor around our necks. It eliminates too many of the real elite level athletes before they even get a chance to see what they can do.

Elite level athletes don't come from helicopter parents who try to micromanage their children's interest in a sport. They come from kids who have few options available to rise above their circumstances. 99 out of 100 youth players at your Pay To Play clubs only practice when mommy & daddy drive them to their regularly scheduled club practice or their $100 per hour "training" session run by a clown with a "coaching license".

And you all are focused on a player's birth year. They want you to focus on that instead of the real issue so they can keep taking your money.

Comment

You are all dip****s. This change is just smoke & mirrors. The same crappy development environment still exists at every club. The US has never produced a world class field player on the men's side and succeed on the women's side only because we have a huge headstart.

Spin your stupid noise about birth year this and that, nothing will change until the US fundamentally changes the very foundation of our approach to player development. The Pay To Play model is a giant anchor around our necks. It eliminates too many of the real elite level athletes before they even get a chance to see what they can do.

Elite level athletes don't come from helicopter parents who try to micromanage their children's interest in a sport. They come from kids who have few options available to rise above their circumstances. 99 out of 100 youth players at your Pay To Play clubs only practice when mommy & daddy drive them to their regularly scheduled club practice or their $100 per hour "training" session run by a clown with a "coaching license".

And you all are focused on a player's birth year. They want you to focus on that instead of the real issue so they can keep taking your money.
                  Agreed. Solution? Some clubs provide that opportunity, but the other kids pay for it? Training compensation? Pro/rel to heighten competition?

Hopefully birth year is the first change toward getting to the global standard.

Comment

There are too many clubs anyway.

Comment

Birth year change is What it is, nothing really changes except the names on the rosters. And I have a Dec 02 kid.

Only thing I am not happy about is the fall season of next year and senior season. The late birthdays really get screwed there.

Actually what I don't get is why so many of you early birth parents can't see this and have a bit of understand. Currently the "elite" are birth year, us soccer training camps, odp, national team ect, so your little Suzy has the advantage already making those teams.

Late birthdays had a bit of an advantage being the older players but really, they are having to train with the younger (and supposed) weaker players so not much real benefit.

So right now it's all fairly even.

Birth year switch comes and what do the late birthdays have? Absolutely nothing. Sorta sad actually.

Comment

Birth year change is What it is, nothing really changes except the names on the rosters. And I have a Dec 02 kid.

Only thing I am not happy about is the fall season of next year and senior season. The late birthdays really get screwed there.

Actually what I don't get is why so many of you early birth parents can't see this and have a bit of understand. Currently the "elite" are birth year, us soccer training camps, odp, national team ect, so your little Suzy has the advantage already making those teams.

Late birthdays had a bit of an advantage being the older players but really, they are having to train with the younger (and supposed) weaker players so not much real benefit.

Birth year switch comes and what do the late birthdays have? Absolutely nothing. Sorta sad actually.

I reflect on what we have now. Nothing really. Just empty promises and lost dreams. Why do we do this? I don't know if words can describe the lack of emotion that I have about what I'm feeling. This tide should settle but I don't know. It's hard to escape. Do you know what I mean? Very smooth and some slime. But mostly just bumpy roads to nowhere. I don't see the way out. I'm scared.

Comment

I reflect on what we have now. Nothing really. Just empty promises and lost dreams. Why do we do this? I don't know if words can describe the lack of emotion that I have about what I'm feeling. This tide should settle but I don't know. It's hard to escape. Do you know what I mean? Very smooth and some slime. But mostly just bumpy roads to nowhere. I don't see the way out. I'm scared.
                          You sound more like an idiot masquerading as overly emotional helicopter parent.

Comment

It won't change much. A number of players will quit because they're not playing with their friends, but in the big scheme of things, this will not be impact players.

Comment

Using your own logic, now that your Dec kid will be the "weaker" one, s/he should greatly improve by playing with older kids, no?

I don't know why people assume that new teams will be Jan-April player heavy. Being a little older might give a slight advantage but no one mentions talent, work rate, size or lack thereof, and speed. I have a Feb kid who is the smallest kid on her u13 team. The comes off the bench but there are younger ones than her who start because they are taller and are harder to push off the ball. Birth year is not the end all be all.

Comment

That's deep man.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X