Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birth year change will destroy the smaller clubs

Unfortunately it will be the end of the smaller clubs trying to compete at the highest of levels. The clubs with sheer numbers will be the ones that survive. The smaller clubs should be looking at joining other clubs in order to survive.
    I wish my club would look into it. I see many age groups where we won't be able to field a team due to the birth year change.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Unfortunately it will be the end of the smaller clubs trying to compete at the highest of levels. The clubs with sheer numbers will be the ones that survive. The smaller clubs should be looking at joining other clubs in order to survive.
    I wish my club would look into it. I see many age groups where we won't be able to field a team due to the birth year change.
    The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Grow up! What difference does it make??????? All it means is that teams will be reformulated and players regrouped. It will not eliminate any players.

Unless your Darling child is an August-December birthday and you are afraid he/she will now NOT be one of the older, more advantaged kids. WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?????

Comment

Why move? The smaller clubs do not compete in Premier. So what keep the same team and adjust the level they are playing and no one will know the difference. Only the Premier levels will need to go by year of birth or they will not be able to compete with the 6 month older increase in age.

Comment

This will trim numbers noticeably. 10-15% on the girls side.

It is very well understood that many girls start soccer and stick with soccer for social reasons. Shaking up teams and getting the youngers out of school age pools will drive numbers down. Even US Soccer says so.

Not a big deal. Thin the numbers. Better quality and less quantity.

You do lose some late bloomers but it's not real that big of a deal.

Comment

Please... give me a break... "compete at the highest of levels"

Comment

Making this change to make US Soccer better is stupid. The women just won the World Cup. Changing youth soccer isn't going to make the men's team suck any less. Players in Oregon are not playing at the highest level. Doing anything that causes any child to leave soccer is ridiculous.

Comment

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I'm sure if you continue to complain anonymously on this site you'll convince us soccer that you know best and your little August child will continue to be a year older than everyone else.

Comment

Making this change to make US Soccer better is stupid. The women just won the World Cup. Changing youth soccer isn't going to make the men's team suck any less. Players in Oregon are not playing at the highest level. Doing anything that causes any child to leave soccer is ridiculous.
                The women won the world cup because half of all the women who play soccer in the world are playing in the US. When that giant numbers advantage goes away, the current system will produce results similar to the men's. Need to make changes or start to expect more of the same. Catering to a family who will leave soccer because of a change like this is catering to the wrong people.

Comment

It is very well understood that many girls start soccer and stick with soccer for social reasons. Shaking up teams and getting the youngers out of school age pools will drive numbers down. Even US Soccer says so.

Forward thinking clubs will start raising fees now to compensate for the losses.

Comment

The women won the world cup because half of all the women who play soccer in the world are playing in the US. When that giant numbers advantage goes away, the current system will produce results similar to the men's. Need to make changes or start to expect more of the same. Catering to a family who will leave soccer because of a change like this is catering to the wrong people.
                    Winner!

" Catering to a family who will leave soccer because of a change like this is catering to the wrong people."

Comment

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I'm sure if you continue to complain anonymously on this site you'll convince us soccer that you know best and your little August child will continue to be a year older than everyone else.
                      We don't care if the fall players quit soccer. Those players are just bringing us down. Germany rocks. Germany has the most exaggerated RAE with the highest number of Jan+ players. We need to develop more of our Jan+ players. The USMNT & men's youth national teams suck because we don't have enough of the older Jan born players. And don't bring up the success of the women's team - we really really really couldn't care less about the women's game. Those little girls' parents will still always be willing to pay any crazy sum of money to say Little Suzie plays club soccer. We don't care about the girls and we don't even have to pretend about it.

We had to throw the small clubs under the bus so that all the big clubs would go along with our mandate. Sure the big clubs will lose some fall bday kids (mostly eventual loser boys) and kids who mainly play for social reasons(mostly girls) but they will easily make up for it by the influx of players from the small clubs that we put out of business.

From day one we have told you all this is about helping the USMN Teams do better. "...remember, you are all part of something bigger"!

Comment

thanks captain obvious!

Comment

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Grow up! What difference does it make??????? All it means is that teams will be reformulated and players regrouped. It will not eliminate any players.

Unless your Darling child is an August-December birthday and you are afraid he/she will now NOT be one of the older, more advantaged kids. WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?????
                          I'm not going to say that it's the biggest deal in the world... but please stop with the nonsense that it doesn't make a difference and it won't eliminate any players. That's just wrong or minimally it has the potential to be a problem for smaller clubs. For example, my daughter stayed on her smaller club team a few years back due to the fact that she would be playing with her friends, schoolmates, etc... players that she had played with for a few years. If you suddenly would have told her back then that the team was splitting up due to "birth year", she likely would have moved on then to a bigger club. I'm not saying what is better or worse... I'm simply going to point out to you that it WILL (most likely) really screw up the smaller clubs. Stop saying that it won't make a difference. Just because you use all CAPS to make your point, doesn't mean you are correct.

Comment

Unless those small clubs have multiple teams at each age group (and then they wouldn't be "small" would they?) AND those teams in the different age groups are playing at a similar level, they will struggle to form new teams and could lose some of their better players to other clubs. Big clubs just shuffle the deck and continue on as before.

Comment

Forward thinking clubs will start raising fees now to compensate for the losses.
                              .....and lose more kids in the process

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X