Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am assuming you are joking if you are talking about girls soccer in OR. What has any Timbers girls team won
    Pretty sad that U of P has fallen so far you are now comparing them to youth club teams. Tells you everything you need to know about the disrepair of that program.

Comment

Ouch. That's not good for UP or FC Portland.

"But Smith's squad is hurting for recruits, aggression and confidence. The Pilots are now fueled by the best players at FC Portland, not the best of Canada or California.

This storied program is leaking nostalgia, not optimism, a disheartening turn."
      What happened?

Comment

I am assuming you are joking if you are talking about girls soccer in OR. What has any Timbers girls team won
        Girls soccer is a joke in Oregon. So funny that the FCP and CU parents are clamoring about being so great. The tallest midgets.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1679108]
          One normally posts a link to said article when referencing an article. You know, chat board protocol.[/http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2015/10/steve_duin_at_university_of_po.html#incart_river_m obile_home
          So sad that you are so incompetent that you can't even post a link.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1679265]

So sad that you are so incompetent that you can't even post a link.
            There is this new thing called a search engine. Try google. It works pretty well.

Comment

There is this new thing called a search engine. Try google. It works pretty well.
              I did and found the article last night. Just funny that some people are so incompetent that they can't put in a quote properly. But then again some are so incompetent they can't even get comments to quote correctly. You must be really good at your job. Can't even push a broom correctly.

Comment

"But Smith's squad is hurting for recruits, aggression and confidence. The Pilots are now fueled by the best players at FC Portland, not the best of Canada or California.

Consider the source for the quote above. Mr. Duin is not a sports writer by any stretch of the imagination. He does, however, opine on many matters, but rarely is very knowledgable in the very issues he will spout off about. I would venture to say he has a personal connection to the story; perhaps a friend, or a friend of a friend, who is disgruntled with FC and UP.

It's easy to jump on the bandwagon when a program is doing great. It's just as easy to jump off when it has its struggles. I suspect Mr. Duin was never on the bandwagon to begin with, but someone who has jumped off the bandwagon has his ear.

The women's soccer program has delivered two national championships. It is by far the most successful program UP has had. They are a young team and I for one am willing to cut them some slack.

In the interest of full disclosure for the critics: I do have a child at FC, but I have never met or spoken with coach Smith. For the true whack jobs on this forum: I am not coach Smith.

Comment

UP used to be a good soccer program. Unfortunate.

Comment

UP used to be a good soccer program. Unfortunate.
                    End of a good run. Happens in college sports. Ups and downs are to be expected.

Comment

Not joking and the Timbers and Thorns have brought a lot of options in the State to Womens youth soccer. I for one like the ECNL option for girls who can play at that level and parents can comfortably pay that travel bill. For those that can't, the Thorns are a great option. Not sure you can say either one is clearly better. When my kids started playing soccer FC was the clear choice. Not sure you can say that now.

Comment

FC Portland isn't the best club in the area nor on the West Coast. However, it is a fact that 75% of UP's recruits come from that club.

Our club coach said that the UP coaches won't even consider any local girls that don't come from FC pdx (I'm sure they don't have 100% of local talent lol). Maybe the coaches need to expand their horizons.

The FC pdx ECNL U16 team last year came in fourth place in just the NW conference of weak teams. However, UP recruited four players from that team.

Dumb coaches.

Comment

FC Portland isn't the best club in the area nor on the West Coast. However, it is a fact that 75% of UP's recruits come from that club.

Our club coach said that the UP coaches won't even consider any local girls that don't come from FC pdx (I'm sure they don't have 100% of local talent lol). Maybe the coaches need to expand their horizons.

The FC pdx ECNL U16 team last year came in fourth place in just the NW conference of weak teams. However, UP recruited four players from that team.

Dumb coaches.
                          They gave an offer to a girl who played for CU last year. She now plays for FCP, but was never with FCP before she got her offer. Apparently your coach doesn't know what they are talking about.

Comment

Dumb coaches.
                            Your club coach needs to do a little more research before he offers advice. UofP has a player from Washington Timbers on the roster and had a girl from THUSC who quit last year.

The reality is if a player plans to attend UofP, there is a good chance that they will end up at FC Portland to get a head start. If a girl is talented she would get recruited regardless of club. There is just not a ton of talent in the area, including some girls who end up committing to UofP. I don't think all of the FC Portland UofP commits are getting strong offers from UofP.

Comment

This is less an indictment of UofP or FC, but more of a statement of Oregon soccer in general. Yes, UofP sucks, as does PSU, UofO and OSU. The big 'D1' destinations for girls here in Oregon. The roster at these institutions are inundated with playsers from Westside, Thusc, Eugene and FC.

This is why Oregon needed ECNL. Being on top of the pile of crap that is Oregon soccer isn't enough for the next level of play.

Comment

End of a good run. Happens in college sports. Ups and downs are to be expected.
                                Fast slide downward.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X