Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Using your own logic, now that your Dec kid will be the "weaker" one, s/he should greatly improve by playing with older kids, no?

I don't know why people assume that new teams will be Jan-April player heavy. Being a little older might give a slight advantage but no one mentions talent, work rate, size or lack thereof, and speed. I have a Feb kid who is the smallest kid on her u13 team. The comes off the bench but there are younger ones than her who start because they are taller and are harder to push off the ball. Birth year is not the end all be all.
    The make up of each team depends heavily on the coach. Some want to win at U10 and will pick the biggest, fastest kids available even if they can't pass the ball to save their lives. Others take a longer term view and pick kids that they think could be good 5 or 6 years down the road. No one ever remembers those coaches or teams but by the HS ages most of the top players are the very ones that were overlooked or pushed to B teams at U10.

Comment

Good. There are to many small clubs and to many kids playing sub-par soccer. Good Riddance.

Comment

Good. There are to many small clubs and to many kids playing sub-par soccer. Good Riddance.
        Look I realize that FC Portland has a couple bad age levels but it's still a decent club if you don't want to drive.

Comment

Look I realize that FC Portland has a couple bad age levels but it's still a decent club if you don't want to drive.
          Yes, FCP is to small, we left and went to PCU. It's a little further but it's got the size and quality we were looking for.

Comment

Yes, FCP is to small, we left and went to PCU. It's a little further but it's got the size and quality we were looking for.
            Why not shoot for the Timber Barons?

Comment

thank god

thank god someone said this. i was about to as well. who cares if the smaller clubs go away. the smaller clubs are just in it for fun anyway. their more serious players will find a place to play. serious players always find a way

Comment

thank god someone said this. i was about to as well. who cares if the smaller clubs go away. the smaller clubs are just in it for fun anyway. their more serious players will find a place to play. serious players always find a way
                Good Point. Want to play with friends or not play at all? It's called rec. soccer. The smaller clubs may fall apart and disappear, and that would be good. There are far to many small, bad clubs anyway.

Comment

The impact of this change will be disastrous!!! It can only be compare to when day light savings was introduced. Do you remember how many plants we lost??!!?

Comment

Good Point. Want to play with friends or not play at all? It's called rec. soccer. The smaller clubs may fall apart and disappear, and that would be good. There are far to many small, bad clubs anyway.
                    You morons!! Smaller clubs does not mean rec! A smaller club may not have full time staff that need their salaries paying. They may also be charging less to play. What comes with a serious soccer player is usually a set of parents that are clueless and will hop from club to club when the S%^t hits the fan. You need to all get real and understand that soccer in Oregon is very bad. Why is that? Could it be the coaches?

Comment

You morons!! Smaller clubs does not mean rec! A smaller club may not have full time staff that need their salaries paying. They may also be charging less to play. What comes with a serious soccer player is usually a set of parents that are clueless and will hop from club to club when the S%^t hits the fan. You need to all get real and understand that soccer in Oregon is very bad. Why is that? Could it be the coaches?
                      I am still not sure why the sky is falling and this change will destroy smaller clubs. I do think it is silly to change to birth year.

Comment

I am still not sure why the sky is falling and this change will destroy smaller clubs. I do think it is silly to change to birth year.
                        If the club is small enough that it doesn't have teams at every age group, or has a widely varying quality of teams at the different age groups, then the top players from the good teams will leave instead of playing on watered down mediocre teams. That will cause a chain reaction that will cause more to leave. Eventually there isn't much left but a couple of rec teams with girls playing up 3 years just to fill a roster.

Comment

If the club is small enough that it doesn't have teams at every age group, or has a widely varying quality of teams at the different age groups, then the top players from the good teams will leave instead of playing on watered down mediocre teams. That will cause a chain reaction that will cause more to leave. Eventually there isn't much left but a couple of rec teams with girls playing up 3 years just to fill a roster.
                          It is all relative.

The large clubs have the same issues. Some age groups are stronger than other age groups.

On average it should be a non factor.

You lose and gain some kids born in August, Sept, Oct, November, and December. Some kids will chose to play up while others don't. It is really not that big of a deal.

Comment

It is all relative.

The large clubs have the same issues. Some age groups are stronger than other age groups.

On average it should be a non factor.

You lose and gain some kids born in August, Sept, Oct, November, and December. Some kids will chose to play up while others don't. It is really not that big of a deal.
                            The more kids you have the less likely that you'll have a "weak" age group. There are lots of clubs in Oregon that have at most 1 strong team and the teams on either side are very weak. All of those kids will be on weak teams with the new age groups.

Comment

you're right smaller club does not equal rec, but it should.

i coach a b team, i played in college and pro, and i've gotten players into college and pro teams. the coaching is bad BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY CLUBS. parents volunteer because there aren't enough good coaches, and the decent coaches that are out there are spread out amongst the 50 clubs. that does NOT help. you do bring up a good point about who could afford to play at one of these "Good clubs" if all the small clubs disappear. i still believe the benefit, of small clubs sticking to rec, is far greater than spreading our resources too thin, like we have now. for what it's worth, i am latino, and i found a way.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X