Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Chile is awful and we only won 3-0? We got problems.
    Chile GK saved their behinds. Could have been double the score but she had some clutch saves. Also, Ellis was trying out other players. Everyone has now played in the WC except the backup GKs. Starting GK has been picking daisies with nearly zero action on our end. That won't keep her ready for when we finally do get a more formidable opponent.

Comment

Chile GK saved their behinds. Could have been double the score but she had some clutch saves. Also, Ellis was trying out other players. Everyone has now played in the WC except the backup GKs. Starting GK has been picking daisies with nearly zero action on our end. That won't keep her ready for when we finally do get a more formidable opponent.
      Wake me when there are worthwhile games to watch. Even the first knockout round may be soft. Perhaps by the quarterfinals a competitive tournament will emerge. After playing 4 meaningless easy games will the remaining teams be able to step it up?

Comment

Wake me when there are worthwhile games to watch. Even the first knockout round may be soft. Perhaps by the quarterfinals a competitive tournament will emerge. After playing 4 meaningless easy games will the remaining teams be able to step it up?
        All we need is the She Believes Cup

Comment

I hope so. Truthfully none of the games I've seen have been very interesting. To many mismatches.

Comment

I hope so. Truthfully none of the games I've seen have been very interesting. To many mismatches.
            Don’t hold your breathe there are very few memorable games in the history of women’s soccer. You might get one or two if you’re lucky

Comment

Kind of a boring tournament. We know who’s going to win already, and probably by a lot. Women’s World Cup is basically composed of a few professional teams and multiple amateur teams. The playing field is very uneven, or not even competitive in most games. Have you ever seen a 13-0 blowout in the men’s World Cup?

Comment

Kind of a boring tournament. We know who’s going to win already, and probably by a lot. Women’s World Cup is basically composed of a few professional teams and multiple amateur teams. The playing field is very uneven, or not even competitive in most games. Have you ever seen a 13-0 blowout in the men’s World Cup?
                This one got me thinking, so I fired up the Google machine. 1982 World cup Hungary beat El Salvador 10-1. So not quite that azz kicking the US ladies put on Thailand but close!

Comment

Don’t hold your breathe there are very few memorable games in the history of women’s soccer. You might get one or two if you’re lucky
                  Agreed. But my favorite game last WC was GE vs. US. A classic. Would have loved for that game to have been the final.

Prior WC with US vs. Canada was classic as well. Oh those memorable games. That memorable team. Sorry reminiscing.

Comment

Just like Tiger in his prime, huh?

Comment

Just like Tiger in his prime, huh?
                      No. Tiger was playing other worldly golf while the other pro's were still elite.

Women's soccer is nowhere near any kind of elite level and that was clearly evidenced by the US team being beaten soundly by 13 and 14 year old boys.

Comment

This one got me thinking, so I fired up the Google machine. 1982 World cup Hungary beat El Salvador 10-1. So not quite that azz kicking the US ladies put on Thailand but close!
                        3+ decades ago. Combine enough 7-0 games and less interesting women's soccer and I can't imagine the ratings will be very good until it comes down to the quarterfinal.

Comment

3+ decades ago. Combine enough 7-0 games and less interesting women's soccer and I can't imagine the ratings will be very good until it comes down to the quarterfinal.
                          Ratings up over 6%

Comment

Ratings up over 6%
                            This isn't just a US show at the WC. While we may find some of the games boring, there are teams that haven't participated at all or in 20 years and are making some noise like Italy. And look at Thailand who came back and scored vs. Sweden. Others around the world are tuning in to watch these matches. That's a good step for soccer and the women's game.

Comment

This isn't just a US show at the WC. While we may find some of the games boring, there are teams that haven't participated at all or in 20 years and are making some noise like Italy. And look at Thailand who came back and scored vs. Sweden. Others around the world are tuning in to watch these matches. That's a good step for soccer and the women's game.
                              Agreed. Too many are trying to compare the game v an EPL derby. Just enjoy it for what it is.

There's been some great games and exciting action. Sure, some warts, as there are with all leagues.

Comment

Agreed. But my favorite game last WC was GE vs. US. A classic. Would have loved for that game to have been the final.

Prior WC with US vs. Canada was classic as well. Oh those memorable games. That memorable team. Sorry reminiscing.
                                Saw a note in social media that Abby W's most favorite goal was in stoppage time vs. Brazil in 2010 WC. That was a memorable game and a lesson in time wasting with the fake injury and the Brazilian player being carted off the field only to jump up on the sidelines. And the US comeback.

And the US vs. Canada classic was in the 2012 Olympics semifinal. Not WC, but agree, it was a classic. The CA GK was penalized for holding the ball too long and allowed US to get back in the game for the ultimate 4-3 win. It was a Sinclair vs. Rapinoe shoot out (each had 3 goals) and Alex Morgan had the stoppage time game winner.

Those game mentioned were heart stoppers like the 1999 WC win. Even the Olympic loss to Sweden in PK's was memorable.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X