Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is spot on. The US women bargained for this contract. Stop whining about it

The best woman player in the world is sitting out the WC in her quest for equal pay. That’s commitment
    If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it make a sound. No one hears her point. She does not exist.

Comment

USSF gets money and they can divide any why they want. They don’t value the women as much so they pay them less.
      They pay them less because they generate less money. Should the top sales person at a company make the same money as the lowest sales person?

Comment

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it make a sound. No one hears her point. She does not exist.
        She’s gotten plenty of press and some concessions from her FA

She’s not a whiny US player trying get her league propped up by her association and suing them at the same time. How hypocritical

Comment

They pay them less because they generate less money. Should the top sales person at a company make the same money as the lowest sales person?
          This is precisely the point. It's about $ generated. The team went to court to build public pressure on USSF. The average non soccer patriot who watches every few years won't understand it. They'll just see a winning team and want them to be paid more than the men.

Comment

Question Man Responds

and? The women's CONCAF was played to half empty stadiums. Bet that didn't bring much money or attention to WNT (where many of their victories were 5+-0 btw). Each gender has it's own draw of ticket sales, sponsorships, ad $ etc. If Nike pays more for their men's team sponsorship then that is because the men's game in general gives them more exposure, both here and abroad. Sponsors and advertisers literally have teams of savvy marketers determining what they are willing to pay and what they think that will bring them. There's just more money and attention paid to men's soccer, even when the team can't win a trophy. If the women want their pay to determined by different measures then go back to the bargaining table. Filing a lawsuit was a publicity stunt. They knew most Americans wouldn't understand the compensation structure so it's easy to cry - equal pay for equal work!

Should the pay of the women be based on revenues earned? Or should the pay of the women be based on the effort they put into their work and the results they achieve from it?

Why should I not expect to be paid the same as another person who does the exact same job I do, putting in the same level of work and preparation? Even more, why should I not expect to be paid the same when my work effort results in a greater level of success for my employer than the other person?

Comment

Should the pay of the women be based on revenues earned? Or should the pay of the women be based on the effort they put into their work and the results they achieve from it?

Why should I not expect to be paid the same as another person who does the exact same job I do, putting in the same level of work and preparation? Even more, why should I not expect to be paid the same when my work effort results in a greater level of success for my employer than the other person?
              You’re joking right? By your logic, the best professional bowler should be paid as much as James Harden. Put in just as much time. Has had more success. Why or why isn’t he paid as much???

Because no one wants to see the pro bowler that’s why! Or maybe Rapinoe should get as much as Messi? He’s never won a World Cup. Good lord. This is America, not Venezuela.

Comment

You’ve asked some dumb questions on this board but this is by FAR the dumbest set yet. Don’t soccer coaches out in as much time recruiting and coaching as football with a smaller staff to boot? Should they get paid the same as Nick Saban?

Tell you what. Take a sales job. Do a lousy job making money for the company. Then tell your boss you want the same pay as the number 1 salesperson. Let me know how that goes.

Comment

There's a reason star athletes like LeBron get paid more than their teammates. They make MONEY for owner. Same here - the men make more money than the women, even though they suck. If the team wants a new contract, negotiate one. Their current contract is what they agreed to.

Comment

Salaries are about three things. The marketplace, the worth that you bring and the leverage that you excercise when negotiating.

Comment

Salaries are about three things. The marketplace, the worth that you bring and the leverage that you excercise when negotiating.
                      Precisely why the women brought this suit just before the WC began. They know if they bring home another trophy they'll have public support behind them.

Comment

Precisely why the women brought this suit just before the WC began. They know if they bring home another trophy they'll have public support behind them.
                        No one cares. If the ratings stink, their leverage will be zero.

Comment

No one cares. If the ratings stink, their leverage will be zero.
                          Ratings will definitely be down

Comment

Ratings will definitely be down
                            I'm definitely going to be more judicious in the matches I watch from now on. So far what I've seen has been pretty dull. I found myself channel surfing and checking emails, not "watching". It's going to end up being a few European teams, US and Canada towards the end. The other countries have a long way to go to build their teams.

Comment

so there are some common misunderstandings in this thread.

some people say - "but the ratings!" as to why USMNT should be paid more. let's be clear - less than 25% of USSF revenues are television related, and it's a catch-all payment that includes USMNT, USWNT *and* MLS. very hard to unpack and attribute, but clearly not a driver of total USSF revenue.

additionally, nearly 25% of USSF revenues come from the Nike sponsorship. i haven't researched whether the information is available, but I would bet that Nike values the USWNT team at least equally if not more than USMNT. let's face it, a soccer obsessed boy probably could only name Pulisic is pressed, while both girls and boys can probably name loads of USWNT members, past and present. you think Nike doesn't get that?

some people say, "but the men generate more revenue"! looking at just ticket sales, nah bro, women outsold the men by over 100,000 last year. sure, the men generate revenue by just showing up to tournaments, and it can be a lot of $$, but failing to qualify for the WC means no dough until 2024 from that pot. oops!

finally, people are like "why should the piss poor salesperson be paid the same as #1?" that argument would favor the women, who clearly are the more accomplished team, full stop. or: "the wnba don't get paid the same as nba". Yes, that sucks, just like NWSL gets paid less than MLS. but that's not the point. players in those leagues can offer their services to WNBA, play in europe, play in china, etc. they can bargain with multiple employers. there is literally ONE national team, with ONE employer. why on earth is there even a need for bargaining? i mean, the BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD is forced to miss the quadrennial event that is the most important in her sport, just to protest the unequal conditions on her national team. why, in 2019, is that even a thing?

and finally, even if you don't like watching womens soccer, don't conflate that with the inequality debate. otherwise your sexism is showing.

Comment

Equal pay

so there are some common misunderstandings in this thread.

some people say - "but the ratings!" as to why USMNT should be paid more. let's be clear - less than 25% of USSF revenues are television related, and it's a catch-all payment that includes USMNT, USWNT *and* MLS. very hard to unpack and attribute, but clearly not a driver of total USSF revenue.

additionally, nearly 25% of USSF revenues come from the Nike sponsorship. i haven't researched whether the information is available, but I would bet that Nike values the USWNT team at least equally if not more than USMNT. let's face it, a soccer obsessed boy probably could only name Pulisic is pressed, while both girls and boys can probably name loads of USWNT members, past and present. you think Nike doesn't get that?

some people say, "but the men generate more revenue"! looking at just ticket sales, nah bro, women outsold the men by over 100,000 last year. sure, the men generate revenue by just showing up to tournaments, and it can be a lot of $$, but failing to qualify for the WC means no dough until 2024 from that pot. oops!

finally, people are like "why should the piss poor salesperson be paid the same as #1?" that argument would favor the women, who clearly are the more accomplished team, full stop. or: "the wnba don't get paid the same as nba". Yes, that sucks, just like NWSL gets paid less than MLS. but that's not the point. players in those leagues can offer their services to WNBA, play in europe, play in china, etc. they can bargain with multiple employers. there is literally ONE national team, with ONE employer. why on earth is there even a need for bargaining? i mean, the BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD is forced to miss the quadrennial event that is the most important in her sport, just to protest the unequal conditions on her national team. why, in 2019, is that even a thing?

and finally, even if you don't like watching womens soccer, don't conflate that with the inequality debate. otherwise your sexism is showing.
                                Who cares about any of this non-sense?....the important thing for all of us to consider is that 95% of all the woman playing in the world cup are F_cking Hot....and great eye candy!!!! this alone should be worth equal pay!!!!!!!!!!....when this is over, perhaps the top 12 teams should make a swimsuit calendar!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X