Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you happy paying for 3rd tier NPL?

There are too many leagues and far too many divisions within most leagues. There's a team for every child, which is actually a good thing. More kids are also playing soccer than ever before, another benefit. The downside is the cost of this soccer. Are parents comfortable paying a lot of money so their children can play in a low division like NPL? It's odd that the cost of the top league is diminishing while the lower league cost is increasing. When will the cost outweigh the benefit? Has it already?

My kid is having fun and making friends.

Comment

Your logic is flawed and not based on fact.DA and ecnl are on average 700 to 800 dollars more.The travel is more ,lodging and expenses more.Time away from home more.Do they play better teams ,sometimes .If my kid is happy, I'm happy.If your daughter is NT material and can handle the workload then by all means you should definitely persue.Chase dreams all you want
      schoolwork and grades will lay solid foundation.Look at the college recruiting overall not much difference between leagues in that regard.You do know kids get into great schools on academics alone don't you?.

Comment

Somebody's really pushing DA and ecnl keep drinking the kool aid buddy .

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          There are too many leagues and far too many divisions within most leagues. There's a team for every child, which is actually a good thing. More kids are also playing soccer than ever before, another benefit. The downside is the cost of this soccer. Are parents comfortable paying a lot of money so their children can play in a low division like NPL? It's odd that the cost of the top league is diminishing while the lower league cost is increasing. When will the cost outweigh the benefit? Has it already?
          And the other options are?
          Your first two sentences are diametrically opposed-which is it?

Comment

Eventually there will be a bit of a shake out. That's how free markets work. Yes there's too many leagues but thank the boneheads at the top for that. It does give more consumers choices and eventually a new equilibrium will be found. Clubs or leagues that don't deliver will die off. In the meantime parents have to muddle through and figure out where is the best place for their children and worry less about the noise

Comment

"Low division like NPL???"

So this has to be the same bafoon posting about NPL in the NE NPL thread. Either some ECNL/DA cheerleader wanting to feel better about their choice to travel the eastern seaboard every other weekend, or a rejected NEP player parent who is bitter at the NPL team for not picking their kid. Bottom line is that some NPL teams (especially in NE NPL where it's mostly 1st teams) can, and do beat ECNL teams, and will probably give some of the DA teams (especially the weaker Stars ones) a run for their money. And yes, some top NEP teams will compete well with NPL teams, although now that they've restructured it to uncles promoted NEP teams, the gap is likely a bit wider for this year.

Regardless, all this league bashing is stupid. Whether your kid played for ECNL/DA, NPL, or NEP/NSL ... they are probably right where he/she belongs based on talent or family circumstances in regards to money,convenience, or commitment level. Enjoy the year and stop the d*ck measuring contests already.

Comment

I'm waiting for the inevitable "unless your kid is NT or top D1 material you're wasting your money and should go back to town programs" comment.

Comment

Every year there is something new and different to shake everyone up. I have three kids (boys) and my youngest is u14 (2004) this year. Over the years, I've seen it all. The one thing that is consistent is the drama from parents in regards to leagues. It's by design by the clubs / "supposedly" higher level leagues who want you to pay more / travel more and devote more of your time and energy to youth soccer. Every year they need to try to distinguish themselves from the others by running off to a new / "better" league. It's that simple really. Those leagues are then watered down more. The joke is really on us (parents/players) for falling for it every year. Here's a hint, wherever you find yourself this year... there will be more drama next year. Count on it! Lol!

Comment

Love the below response because I agree with it.
                    Players are recruited, not leagues. When a parent wraps themselves in the League blanket, that tells me all I need to know about their quivering confidence in D's ability to stand out.

If your D is that good, it's easy to get noticed by Coaches at schools she wishes to attend. If you think her League is going to create a portfolio of tbd offers from tbd schools you really don't understand how the process works.

"Low division like NPL???"

So this has to be the same bafoon posting about NPL in the NE NPL thread. Either some ECNL/DA cheerleader wanting to feel better about their choice to travel the eastern seaboard every other weekend, or a rejected NEP player parent who is bitter at the NPL team for not picking their kid. Bottom line is that some NPL teams (especially in NE NPL where it's mostly 1st teams) can, and do beat ECNL teams, and will probably give some of the DA teams (especially the weaker Stars ones) a run for their money. And yes, some top NEP teams will compete well with NPL teams, although now that they've restructured it to uncles promoted NEP teams, the gap is likely a bit wider for this year.

Regardless, all this league bashing is stupid. Whether your kid played for ECNL/DA, NPL, or NEP/NSL ... they are probably right where he/she belongs based on talent or family circumstances in regards to money,convenience, or commitment level. Enjoy the year and stop the d*ck measuring contests already.

Comment

Can never really have too many leagues or too many divisions as long as you have kids and parents willing to participate. That's not a bad thing. The problems only start to pop up when parents on those 3rd tier level teams start to think that there should be something more to playing soccer for the fun of it and then try to force the team into a situation that isn't consistent with goals of that level.

Comment

Eventually there will be a bit of a shake out. That's how free markets work. Yes there's too many leagues but thank the boneheads at the top for that. It does give more consumers choices and eventually a new equilibrium will be found. Clubs or leagues that don't deliver will die off. In the meantime parents have to muddle through and figure out where is the best place for their children and worry less about the noise
                        I've been hearing this for years. The only thing that's shaken out is money from bank accounts. When I look at the pay-to-play youth soccer marketplace, I'd argue we're a LONG way away from the demand side of this equation declining.

Comment

So much nonsense in this post. All credibility lost by singling out NPL.

Comment

Who cares what people spend their money on. Get a life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X