Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I dont like the rule. It spawned the gdap. Look how good that is for kids. 10 months year round soccer and no high school. I said I understand where it came from.

Any Id clinic rule is just plain stupid. I have never one kids Id clinic visit adversely impact another player or team. Most hs teams have big rosters. The kids that don't go to an Id clinic should be happy with more playing time or coaching time. In most cases, the clinics don't interfere with games or practices at all actually.

Did going to a clinic for 4 hours on a Saturday at bucknell give someone an unfair advantage.

St joes has been practicing for weeks. Jack has stopped in on many an occasion this summer Go investigate that rule stretching as it impacts competition, not the one that doesn't.
    Totally disagree and no it didn't spawn GDA. GDA came from BDA and that didn't have the no HS rule for several years. Playing high level club and HS is too much for kids physically, mentally and academically. Plenty of HS and club coaches are a holes and could abuse the system.

There seems to be disagreement on the legality of the I'D event rule and I'm glad I saw this before my kid started so I can check it out. If it isn't allowed then yes I'll have a huge issue with CIAC in that regard. However there rarely are HS games on weekends and I have to believe most I'D event's are on weekends. You might have to miss a practice but not a game. Actual school visits tend to be during the week but kids miss school for that regardless of being an athlete or not.

Comment

They will all congratulate her when she commits and when she only has to apply to one school and she is excepted before Jan 1 of her senior year.
      Piss off!
      Excepted, huh? I don't think that means what you think it does, scrote.

Comment

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and just asked your kids coach.

Communicate the dates, etc to your kids coach and you should be fine

Playing with a club team or travel team at a showcase event will be a problem though.
        To the OP: You are getting incomplete advice here. If you care at all about your high school team's record, you need to jump through some hoops. Since you said they were ID events (not showcases or tournaments), you should be OK, but you need to jump on it ASAP because of the red tape involved.

Mine went to several last fall, if you want cover your bases I'd suggest a simple email to the AD at your kids high school. My firm understanding is that these are not an issue.
        - Start with the coach, but yes, this has to go to the AD, who has to do some legwork for you, read more below. It's not as simple as it should be.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and just asked your kids coach.
        Communicate the dates, etc to your kids coach and you should be fine
        Do not listen to this. Most coaches have no clue about the rules, and will probably just tell you you can't go. Tell the coach that you need the AD to submit an exception, and give them all the pertinent info

If they can't figure out what school is in what division, do you think they are going to find out your kid went to the ccsu Id camp?
        Yes, they will find out, more likely, your coach finds out from the senior teammate who rides the bench while your kid starts every game, and turns himself in.
        You may not attend these events unless your AD and the CIAC give consent. Your HS can be disqualified if the proper channels aren't followed.
        Correct.

You found the right part of the handbook, but here's the rest of the rule, and should be read as, "The athlete will be deemed ineligible(and subject to forfeitures) for participating in a non-sponsored school event, unless it falls under one of the following exceptions(with snarky comments):
        3.0 CIAC BY-LAWS
        Exceptions to Rule 1.1.a.
        1.Participation in Olympic/Pan American Games/try-outs. Olympic? As in ODP?
        2.Participation in one national governing body (NGB) sponsored national tournament or international competition. I assume "NGB"="USSF" in this case, so national team responsibilities apply here?
        Note: In all sports the CIAC Board of Control may grant exceptions to athletes
        to participate in those contests legitimately organized for the sole purpose of
        preparing for and selection to the next Olympic Games or the Pan-American
        Games. An athlete may participate in one (1) National Governing Body (NGB)
        sponsored national tournament event or other NGB sponsored international
        competition during the sport season. These contests must be recognized by the
        United States Olympic Committee, the Pan-American Games and/or the NGB for
        the sport as having as its sole purpose the selection to the Olympic, Pan-American, national or international team. All decisions for participation will be made in accordance with the restricted competition provision of the U.S. Olympic Sports Act wherein state athletic associations shall have “exclusive jurisdiction” to conduct their programs without interference by any NGB. No clue what that means https://www.adreducation.org/media/1...orts%20act.pdf but it sounds like they are legally subordinate to the Olympics, which includes the Paralympics.
        3.Participation in a college audition Curious how they next define "audition" which seems to be intentionally not synonymous with "try-out", "assessment", "evaluation"
        – (Audition – when a student-athlete is invited by the college coach to visit the campus and participate in workouts individually or with team members to assess their skills prior to admission.) Key word there is "invited". You may need a written/email invite, easy enough to get, but you can't just sign-up for/pay for/register for an ID camp nor can you practice/scrimmage without the paperwork.
        4.Participation in clinics offered by a college – (Skill development programs that are not used to assess talent or used as a try-out for non-school teams.) Very vague, so you can get permission to go to a clinic, as it is defined i.e not used for assessment or as a "try-out", only auditions, as defined in #3. It never really addresses if college try-outs(do those even exist, for the unrecruited?) or evaluations are excluded, but makes the distinction between auditions and try-outs, even though they define an audition as an assessment. Wow.
        5.Participation in clinics offered by CIAC member schools or other state association member schools.
        6.Participation in other clinics approved by the school and that are designed to enhance kill development and not used as a try-out of any nature for selection to a non-school team. Again, why the exclusion of a "try-out" I'm failing to see the difference between tryout and audition.
        THE IMPORTANT PART
        The following conditions must be met as part of the exceptions #3-6:
        o Each event is limited to one (1) day in duration;
        o The member school principal must grant permission if there is any loss of school time;
        o The member school coach determines the event does not interfere with any functions of the in-season school program;
        o Written consent is given by the school administration and athletic department prior to the student attending such activities.
        o Member schools will inform the CIAC staff of students who are approved to
        attend.

So, it has to be a 1 day event, The principal (if you miss school time) and AD need to sign off on it, you need written consent from them (seems redundant), CIAC must be notified, and the kicker.... Your coach can schedule a practice on the same day to prevent you from going. So if your coach hates you, he can block it.

Comment

How about this rule:
          http://www.casciac.org/pdfs/eligibility_brochure.pdf
          If you ever wear a St Joes t-shirt to a Yankee camp, you will lose your STJ eligibility.

Also, as per recruiting...
          "Arranging any kind of contact with you for the purpose of encouraging your enrollment in another school.
          Visiting or entertaining you or a member of your family with the intent of encouraging your enrollment in another school.
          Providing transportation to you or a family member with the intent of encouraging your enrollment in another school.
          No representative of another school is permitted to encourage your enrollment in that school or a different school.
          Any contact you would have with someone trying to encourage you to enroll in a different school is not permitted.
          Any questions or concerns that you have related to recruitment should be addressed with your athletic director or principal. Additional information on recruitment is available in the CIAC Handbook."

Isn't this violated every year, or does this only apply to current students, and not incoming freshmen. Do they or do they not really give out scholarships?

Comment

To the OP: You are getting incomplete advice here. If you care at all about your high school team's record, you need to jump through some hoops. Since you said they were ID events (not showcases or tournaments), you should be OK, but you need to jump on it ASAP because of the red tape involved.

* - Start with the coach, but yes, this has to go to the AD, who has to do some legwork for you, read more below. It's not as simple as it should be.

* Do not listen to this. Most coaches have no clue about the rules, and will probably just tell you you can't go. Tell the coach that you need the AD to submit an exception, and give them all the pertinent info

* Yes, they will find out, more likely, your coach finds out from the senior teammate who rides the bench while your kid starts every game, and turns himself in. Correct.

You found the right part of the handbook, but here's the rest of the rule, and should be read as, "The athlete will be deemed ineligible(and subject to forfeitures) for participating in a non-sponsored school event, unless it falls under one of the following exceptions(with snarky comments):
            3.0 CIAC BY-LAWS
            Exceptions to Rule 1.1.a.
            1.Participation in Olympic/Pan American Games/try-outs. Olympic? As in ODP?
            2.Participation in one national governing body (NGB) sponsored national tournament or international competition. I assume "NGB"="USSF" in this case, so national team responsibilities apply here?
            Note: In all sports the CIAC Board of Control may grant exceptions to athletes
            to participate in those contests legitimately organized for the sole purpose of
            preparing for and selection to the next Olympic Games or the Pan-American
            Games. An athlete may participate in one (1) National Governing Body (NGB)
            sponsored national tournament event or other NGB sponsored international
            competition during the sport season. These contests must be recognized by the
            United States Olympic Committee, the Pan-American Games and/or the NGB for
            the sport as having as its sole purpose the selection to the Olympic, Pan-American, national or international team. All decisions for participation will be made in accordance with the restricted competition provision of the U.S. Olympic Sports Act wherein state athletic associations shall have “exclusive jurisdiction” to conduct their programs without interference by any NGB. No clue what that means https://www.adreducation.org/media/1...orts%20act.pdf but it sounds like they are legally subordinate to the Olympics, which includes the Paralympics.
            3.Participation in a college audition Curious how they next define "audition" which seems to be intentionally not synonymous with "try-out", "assessment", "evaluation"
            – (Audition – when a student-athlete is invited by the college coach to visit the campus and participate in workouts individually or with team members to assess their skills prior to admission.) Key word there is "invited". You may need a written/email invite, easy enough to get, but you can't just sign-up for/pay for/register for an ID camp nor can you practice/scrimmage without the paperwork.
            4.Participation in clinics offered by a college – (Skill development programs that are not used to assess talent or used as a try-out for non-school teams.) Very vague, so you can get permission to go to a clinic, as it is defined i.e not used for assessment or as a "try-out", only auditions, as defined in #3. It never really addresses if college try-outs(do those even exist, for the unrecruited?) or evaluations are excluded, but makes the distinction between auditions and try-outs, even though they define an audition as an assessment. Wow.
            5.Participation in clinics offered by CIAC member schools or other state association member schools.
            6.Participation in other clinics approved by the school and that are designed to enhance kill development and not used as a try-out of any nature for selection to a non-school team. Again, why the exclusion of a "try-out" I'm failing to see the difference between tryout and audition.
            THE IMPORTANT PART
            The following conditions must be met as part of the exceptions #3-6:
            o Each event is limited to one (1) day in duration;
            o The member school principal must grant permission if there is any loss of school time;
            o The member school coach determines the event does not interfere with any functions of the in-season school program;
            o Written consent is given by the school administration and athletic department prior to the student attending such activities.
            o Member schools will inform the CIAC staff of students who are approved to
            attend.

So, it has to be a 1 day event, The principal (if you miss school time) and AD need to sign off on it, you need written consent from them (seems redundant), CIAC must be notified, and the kicker.... Your coach can schedule a practice on the same day to prevent you from going. So if your coach hates you, he can block it.
            This is so the ciac guy. He likes to break posts down.

My kid never got written consent. She told coach. Coach was on his game. If he needed to tell ad, he most likely did. If ad needed to do something, he most likely did. It isn't my kids job to hold thier hands. They are adults and they are getting paid to run the athletic dept and the team. I never met a kid that read the ciac handbook.

Comment

How about this rule:
              If you ever wear a St Joes t-shirt to a Yankee camp, you will lose your STJ eligibility.

"Arranging any kind of contact with you for the purpose of encouraging your enrollment in another school.
              Visiting or entertaining you or a member of your family with the intent of encouraging your enrollment in another school.
              Providing transportation to you or a family member with the intent of encouraging your enrollment in another school.
              No representative of another school is permitted to encourage your enrollment in that school or a different school.
              Any contact you would have with someone trying to encourage you to enroll in a different school is not permitted.
              Any questions or concerns that you have related to recruitment should be addressed with your athletic director or principal. Additional information on recruitment is available in the CIAC Handbook."

Isn't this violated every year, or does this only apply to current students, and not incoming freshmen. Do they or do they not really give out scholarships?
              Plenty of st joes gear at Yankee camp!

Comment

How about this rule:

this reads as if its about transfers, not freshmen

Comment

Plenty of st joes gear at Yankee camp!
                  as well as Masuk gear and Shelton gear and American Eagle gear and Nike gear and UA gear
                  and Adidas gear etc....

Comment

as well as Masuk gear and Shelton gear and American Eagle gear and Nike gear and UA gear
                    and Adidas gear etc....
                    I think you missed his point, adidas gear won't get you kicked off the hs team. Masuk gear apparently will.

Comment

I think you missed his point, adidas gear won't get you kicked off the hs team. Masuk gear apparently will.
                      no it won't-
                      you get DQed for playing for your club team or another unsanctioned event
                      its rare BUT IT DOES HAPPEN

Comment

no it won't-
                        you get DQed for playing for your club team or another unsanctioned event
                        its rare BUT IT DOES HAPPEN
                        I know it's unrealistic, he was referring to the above posted CIAC rule:

How about this rule:

Comment

I know it's unrealistic, he was referring to the above posted CIAC rule:

How about this rule:
                          Ahhh, yes, the CIAC. The creepy people who really focus hard on your child's "athletic wares." The organization that tells you what your kid can and cannot do during school hours and during hours when school is not in session. Make sure you ask their permission for everything. (Or, have a kid who's really good at your sport, so you get a free pass.)

Comment

Ahhh, yes, the CIAC. The creepy people who really focus hard on your child's "athletic wares." The organization that tells you what your kid can and cannot do during school hours and during hours when school is not in session. Make sure you ask their permission for everything. (Or, have a kid who's really good at your sport, so you get a free pass.)
                            Dude you say the same thing every fall. Your athletic wares comments give you away every time. Your super star has a choice if you/she doesn't like following rules - don't play. Playing for a school team isn't a righ nir donyou het to decide what rules apply to you or others. Or did you push her into GDA where there's more rules?

Comment

Dude you say the same thing every fall. Your athletic wares comments give you away every time. Your super star has a choice if you/she doesn't like following rules - don't play. Playing for a school team isn't a righ nir donyou het to decide what rules apply to you or others. Or did you push her into GDA where there's more rules?
                              No rules apply when school is out and if the school team isn't playing or practicing. That time is my kid's own time. But, my kid is good, so ... nobody raises an issue.

Comment

No rules apply when school is out and if the school team isn't playing or practicing. That time is my kid's own time. But, my kid is good, so ... nobody raises an issue.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X