Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You can pull up the list of college coaches.
    There are virtually no coaches here. Pull up the list - it's a joke. Saw one coach at one of our games and there are multiple players in the process right now. Kids and families are having a nice time, there's some good soccer being played against teams from all over. But this is NOT a recruiting event - it should as there's certainly some talent here (Not top D1 level but low level D1, D3 etc). I don't know why it isn't.

Comment

Indiana

There are virtually no coaches here. Pull up the list - it's a joke. Saw one coach at one of our games and there are multiple players in the process right now. Kids and families are having a nice time, there's some good soccer being played against teams from all over. But this is NOT a recruiting event - it should as there's certainly some talent here (Not top D1 level but low level D1, D3 etc). I don't know why it isn't.
      Many of these teams could have been scouted the prior weekend in Indiana like SSS U16. There are absolutely D1 level players (and NT for that matter) between stars pre ecnl U13, Breakers ecnl u14, sss u16. All three teams are near the top teams in MA in there age group. MA has proven this year that the state produces some very good teams. Very well represented.

Comment

Many of these teams could have been scouted the prior weekend in Indiana like SSS U16. There are absolutely D1 level players (and NT for that matter) between stars pre ecnl U13, Breakers ecnl u14, sss u16. All three teams are near the top teams in MA in there age group. MA has proven this year that the state produces some very good teams. Very well represented.
        I have attended ECNL, DA, NPL, and National Cup events in the past. While each division has some good teams here at the National Cup event, there are also some pretty weak teams here. Congrats to the winners but in no way should they call themselves National Champions. They won this tournament and for that they should be proud but there are definitely a lot better teams out there. College coaches skip this because there isn't enough concentration of good players here to make it worth it.

Comment

There were very few coaches last week either.

Comment

Sounds like any other "National Championship". Two best College Football teams could be out of the SEC, but both won't play for the title. Heck, two best NBA teams could be out of the West, yet both won't play for the title.

Comment

Sounds like any other "National Championship". Two best College Football teams could be out of the SEC, but both won't play for the title. Heck, two best NBA teams could be out of the West, yet both won't play for the title.
              In the two points you said at least those teams probably would have played each other to make it to the championship. The way youth soccer is now teams will never play each other to reach the championship. So you could possibly have 3 or so teams in the same age group saying they are national champs for the same state. In a way it seems like every one gets a trophy mentality.
              I liked back in the day when there was one state cup. It proved what team was the best. Unfortunately now at the older ages winning I think is second to getting noticed by colleges. I think having so many nation championships has something to with it.

Comment

Good for the kids who got in a fun trip and some summer soccer. But it's a "tournament" championship, nothing about this makes a team a "national" champ.

Comment

Hmmm? Yes, World Series winners aren't truly World Champs. Neva mind you all! Girls must be syched!!!

Comment

Good for the kids who got in a fun trip and some summer soccer. But it's a "tournament" championship, nothing about this makes a team a "national" champ.
                    Nefc o2b won last year and Gps won this year. Does mass have the strongest boys soccer in the country?

Comment

Hmmm? Yes, World Series winners aren't truly World Champs. Neva mind you all! Girls must be syched!!!
                      Not much into baseball? Look into the road to Cooperstown before you compare that to a glorified showcase.

Comment

In the two points you said at least those teams probably would have played each other to make it to the championship. The way youth soccer is now teams will never play each other to reach the championship. So you could possibly have 3 or so teams in the same age group saying they are national champs for the same state. In a way it seems like every one gets a trophy mentality.
                        I liked back in the day when there was one state cup. It proved what team was the best. Unfortunately now at the older ages winning I think is second to getting noticed by colleges. I think having so many nation championships has something to with it.
                        Why did Massachusetts get away from the one club state cup which led to the regionals and then the nationals?
                        Was it because MPS (GPS) couldn't tolerate the fact that they were the largest club without any state champs, or was it that clubs didn't like relegation and promotion, or was it that MAPLE was not run well??

Comment

Why did Massachusetts get away from the one club state cup which led to the regionals and then the nationals?
                          Was it because MPS (GPS) couldn't tolerate the fact that they were the largest club without any state champs, or was it that clubs didn't like relegation and promotion, or was it that MAPLE was not run well??
                          Won't be a popular response because it's not cynical and doesn't attack GPS, but NEP was started to allow for better player development (eg, no promotion/relegation, allow for player movement within a club, standards for coaches) and to address some other things which make sense (self-scheduling, turf fields). A negative side effect was significantly increased player fees.

Not quite sure why we ended up with all the unnecessary travel. The cynical side says someone's making money off it. Certainly for the clubs, parents are paying lots of money anyways and want the best for their kids and that includes "championships" (and given the demographic for the teams given the club fees, these people are willing and able to foot the bill for more) If there's not enough competition locally then you may need to travel for it, but that doesn't account for most of the travel. There's the whole "showcase" thing, but not sure why you have to fly somewhere when >90% of the kids around here play in the northeast for college. In any case, these summer things in Indiana are not really for that (check the coach list).

Comment

There were very few coaches last week either.
                            In July, most of the coaches are working at camps. Either their own, or someone else's.

Comment

Not much into baseball? Look into the road to Cooperstown before you compare that to a glorified showcase.
                              I didn't mean that World Series Champs are not truly the World's best, I meant that they do not complete with other world players, so how can they be called World Champs. And that being said, club soccer national champs seem to be a broad spectrum.

Comment

I didn't mean that World Series Champs are not truly the World's best, I meant that they do not complete with other world players, so how can they be called World Champs. And that being said, club soccer national champs seem to be a broad spectrum.
                                There is only one REAL national championship. The championship for the top league ECNL. You can argue either way, but you basically have the top talent of the top clubs competing. Is it ALL the best teams, NO, but I think it's safe to say that's your National Champion. The rest are National Championships as well, but league national champions. Also a great achievement because they, for the most part, were the best team in a fairly even competition. I would say NPL is next in line, but from there too close to tell.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X