Quinnipiac Womens Soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No big D1 program hires a high school coach without significant college experience. There's a while hierarchy and progression to work your way up to that level

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      No big D1 program hires a high school coach without significant college experience. There's a while hierarchy and progression to work your way up to that level
      Agree. No college AD considers high school coaches unless they the absolute best coach come from the prep school arena. For JN to become a college coach he's gotta become a low level assistant and spend years working up.

Comment

He coaches for the youth national team. He has to be good.
        He's not a coach. He's one of many on staff. He's a trainer.

Comment

This is not intended as a slight on D.C. Bc I don't know him and my kids have never played for him, but I'm curious as to what people think are the best attributes of a coach. Having had two kids come through premier, one in college now and the other looking, we have been fortunate to have coaches the kids enjoyed. All very different but good in their own ways. Based solely on our experiences, I'd have to say that coaching is in no particular order, about:

Recruiting
          Teaching technique and understanding tactics
          Putting players in the right places to succeed
          Making adjustments in a game
          Getting players to play hard for you

Each of my kids coaches were strong in certain areas. Some ran mediocre practices but the kids liked them and would run through walls for them. One assembled the best teams. One ran some great practices. They were interesting and diverse. But ironically enough, he was the coach who had the worst record even though I enjoyed watching the sessions and my daughter enjoyed participating in them. At least in our experience, I would say the best coaches were the best recruiters who were effective in games. They were the most successful, which tells me that coaching is more complicated than people think. Assembling talent isn't enough if you don't have a clue. Running a good session isn't enough if you don't have the talent or if the kids don't play hard for you. Or if you don't put them in a position to succeed.

What do people think are the most important attributes of a coach in order based on the list above? Add some that I'm sure I've missed.
          The list you posted is a perfectly reasonable one.

Recruiting - DC made it clear he was not interested in being involved in the process.

Teaching technique and understanding tactics - DC may have an understanding of technique and tactics, but certainly doesn't incorporate any of it outside of practice.

Putting players in the right places to succeed - 100% inept

Making adjustments in a game - 100% inept

Getting players to play hard for you - 100% inept

Comment

I can't comprehend how DC. does not help his club players in the recruiting process. That's your job as a club coach.

Comment

This is not intended as a slight on D.C. Bc I don't know him and my kids have never played for him, but I'm curious as to what people think are the best attributes of a coach. Having had two kids come through premier, one in college now and the other looking, we have been fortunate to have coaches the kids enjoyed. All very different but good in their own ways. Based solely on our experiences, I'd have to say that coaching is in no particular order, about:

Recruiting
              Teaching technique and understanding tactics
              Putting players in the right places to succeed
              Making adjustments in a game
              Getting players to play hard for you

Each of my kids coaches were strong in certain areas. Some ran mediocre practices but the kids liked them and would run through walls for them. One assembled the best teams. One ran some great practices. They were interesting and diverse. But ironically enough, he was the coach who had the worst record even though I enjoyed watching the sessions and my daughter enjoyed participating in them. At least in our experience, I would say the best coaches were the best recruiters who were effective in games. They were the most successful, which tells me that coaching is more complicated than people think. Assembling talent isn't enough if you don't have a clue. Running a good session isn't enough if you don't have the talent or if the kids don't play hard for you. Or if you don't put them in a position to succeed.

What do people think are the most important attributes of a coach in order based on the list above? Add some that I'm sure I've missed.
              Honesty.

Comment

Recruiting - DC made it clear he was not interested in being involved in the process.

Teaching technique and understanding tactics - DC may have an understanding of technique and tactics, but certainly doesn't incorporate any of it outside of practice.

I actually posted the original post. Was not referring to D.C. Just in general. I think this response is a bit harsh. Just was curious as to what people look for. Not towards any coach in particular.

Comment

Monmouth is not fully funded I don't believe
                  Most schools with football teams are fully funded

Comment

I feel sorry for you. So much negativity. Get a clue and a life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X