Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Last year, my daughter's team had captain's practices that were open to all returning and incoming players. They didn't play in a league but played in the Nutmeg Games. A minority of all the players did it, even seniors. A couple of girls trained all summer and played in the Nutmeg Games and then got cut at tryouts because they were juniors and the coach felt that if you were a junior and still not good enough to make varsity (in his opinion), you should find a new activity. No juniors were allowed on JV. I thought that was pretty sucky because while the girls weren't the greatest, they were ok players and better than some of the freshmen and sophomores that made JV. If juniors were OK playing JV, why shouldn't the coach be? They might have provided some leadership to the younger girls. The other girls felt bad about it. There's a new coach this year so maybe the policy will change this season.
    Because then he had to keep those players for senior year. At some point the kids have to be able to play the game or get cut.

Comment

Because then he had to keep those players for senior year. At some point the kids have to be able to play the game or get cut.
      Depends on the coach. Both our girls and boys coaches feel that if you suited up for three years on JV you get to be on the V team senior year. But it's made clear you probably won't ever play except senior night. Some kids are OK with that, others drop out after not making V as a junior.

Comment

Depends on the coach. Both our girls and boys coaches feel that if you suited up for three years on JV you get to be on the V team senior year. But it's made clear you probably won't ever play except senior night. Some kids are OK with that, others drop out after not making V as a junior.
        Our town is run like that as well. Seems all well and good until seniors ride the pine for a few months. Our coach even had a quick hook on senior night as the team needed the Win for placement in the tournament.

Some kids are just good kids and work hard for four years and deserve to be on the varsity roster, I have no issue with that provided the best kids play.

Comment

Our town is run like that as well. Seems all well and good until seniors ride the pine for a few months. Our coach even had a quick hook on senior night as the team needed the Win for placement in the tournament.

Some kids are just good kids and work hard for four years and deserve to be on the varsity roster, I have no issue with that provided the best kids play.
          Ours as well. Kids all seem fine with it. I'd rather they be a part of something and keeping busy. Our coaches don't give pt based on seniority, only skill and hard work. Not all coaches work that way.

Comment

How many girls are on a roster for JV with Juniors playing? 25? 30?

Comment

GHS or the other scrub CCC teams?

Seems like a waste of time and money. My kids team has a lot of club players. They don't need to join some hack league of mostly JV and Freshman girls trying to make a name for themselves and make the varsity team. Our captains run fitness and once a week scrimmages. Mostly for bonding and to keep fitness up. Club kids don't need those touches.
              My kid's team has multiple ECNL players. Yet they still play in a summer league. Do they "need" the touches? I guess not. Do they have fun playing the game they love? Yep. So what's the problem?

Comment

Sometimes it's just fun to school some schlub townies!

Comment

My kid's team has multiple ECNL players. Yet they still play in a summer league. Do they "need" the touches? I guess not. Do they have fun playing the game they love? Yep. So what's the problem?
                  It is all good until your little porker takes my kids knee out. My kid doesn't need touches to school your kid. Should could take two years off and still smoke her

Comment

That's how our LL girls coach does it as well and he is clueless AF. At awards night he describes a 3 year JV player and senior year pine rider as "the perfect practice player." I felt really bad for her because I thought her playing skills were a lot better than some of the kids who did see PT (Our team did not make States despite ample ECNL and NPL kids on the roster).

In any event, play in the Summer league. It keeps you in shape for the fall track season, I mean soccer.

Comment

That's how our LL girls coach does it as well and he is clueless AF. At awards night he describes a 3 year JV player and senior year pine rider as "the perfect practice player." I felt really bad for her because I thought her playing skills were a lot better than some of the kids who did see PT (Our team did not make States despite ample ECNL and NPL kids on the roster).

In any event, play in the Summer league. It keeps you in shape for the fall track season, I mean soccer.
                      Coaches aren't English majors; most probably don't know what a thesaurus is. But I think most of the time their heart is in the right place even if it doesn't always come across that way

Comment

How many girls are on a roster for JV with Juniors playing? 25? 30?
                        Really varies by school and coach preference. Also depends if a school has a freshman team - plenty don't so a coach will load everyone onto JV. V tends to be more reasonable, 25 at our school at least.

Comment

Practice player is a compliment

Comment

Really varies by school and coach preference. Also depends if a school has a freshman team - plenty don't so a coach will load everyone onto JV. V tends to be more reasonable, 25 at our school at least.
                            If you have more than 20 players I would be in the camp that starts to cut juiors. You don't need large numbers of players that will not be helping at the varsity level. Thin the herd and keep those that have a reasonable expectation of playing at the varsity level. Then you are not stuck in a position of cutting seniors that have no hope of playing meaningful minutes. Really not fair to the players who are stronger and have most likely put in larger amounts of time.

Comment

I'm not sure what ample means, but making states is a very low bar. If your team has say half npl and ecnl players, states should be a lock. Maybe it is time to get rid of the history teacher coach.

Comment

If you have more than 20 players I would be in the camp that starts to cut juiors. You don't need large numbers of players that will not be helping at the varsity level. Thin the herd and keep those that have a reasonable expectation of playing at the varsity level. Then you are not stuck in a position of cutting seniors that have no hope of playing meaningful minutes. Really not fair to the players who are stronger and have most likely put in larger amounts of time.
                                As someone said it's partly driven by coach and some degree of AD or school philosophy. Some prefer kids have opportunities to be involved with a school activity, not only for school spirit or community, but also to keep kids busy and out of trouble. If a coach only plays his strongest players regardless of seniority it shouldn't be an issue. It's when families who think their kids are better than they are interfere that issues arise. HS coaching is as much about managing parents as it is the kids, unfortunately

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X