Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    like someone said the only way to at least reduce politics or favoritism is to get rid of club involvement. But that isn't going to happen. USSF would have to take ownership of it all which would be too costly and cumbersome for them. Your point about many players getting noticed at 18+ is a valid one. Part of that is about maturity and development but also a college player is now outside of club politics and is given a bigger stage to shine. Plenty of younger NT players never make it past 18+. Countless examples of players who fizzled out. Personally I think part of that is because identifying talent at the younger ages is extremely difficult. It's tough to predict if a player will still progress and if they have the mental fortitude to do so. Even international academies dump players continuously. There is no perfect formula. But I think it's also because here club staff are also completely clueless.
    Not sure if this is the same for BDA, but with GDA there are regional (USSF) technical directors that will evaluate practices and games for each club. It was my understanding that they would be evaluating not only practices but the players. I would think these individuals would be "less biased" than a club director who profits from players that are called up. It was even stated that they don't necessarily want the really mature 12 year old that can knock everyone over, as that doesn't equate to a strong player at 18. They are looking for the players that are very comfortable with the ball at their feet and those that are technical and will continue to develop.

Comment

Not sure if this is the same for BDA, but with GDA there are regional (USSF) technical directors that will evaluate practices and games for each club. It was my understanding that they would be evaluating not only practices but the players. I would think these individuals would be "less biased" than a club director who profits from players that are called up. It was even stated that they don't necessarily want the really mature 12 year old that can knock everyone over, as that doesn't equate to a strong player at 18. They are looking for the players that are very comfortable with the ball at their feet and those that are technical and will continue to develop.
      Yes that is how it works, but clubs readily push their favorites and politics come into play frequently (of course certainly not all the time). It is not a perfect system they just want it to appear that it is

Comment

You can blame the clubs, but the NT coaches bought into the politics. With GDA, we now have one organization with no checks and balances. The USSF already made the statement, if your daughter wants to be on a NT someday we recommend that she play GDA. That's politics, and it set a really bad tone for what the organization stands for.

Yes that is how it works, but clubs readily push their favorites and politics come into play frequently (of course certainly not all the time). It is not a perfect system they just want it to appear that it is

Comment

You can blame the clubs, but the NT coaches bought into the politics. With GDA, we now have one organization with no checks and balances. The USSF already made the statement, if your daughter wants to be on a NT someday we recommend that she play GDA. That's politics, and it set a really bad tone for what the organization stands for.
          I dont see anything wrong with that statement. What is wrong, are people taking it too literally. An ECNL club saying, if you want to play in College, we recommend you play for our club. Is that Ok?

One thing that sems to be getting lost is the GDA IS a collaboration between the Clubs and the USSF.

Is it a huge leap to imply that IF you want to be in the NT crosshairs, that playing in a league with NT scouts at games and practices, film and under the rules they prefer increase your odds? of course not. There will always be fantastic players outside the GDA, and im sure they will be selected as well.

The NT angle is a diversion, to me its simple Fulltime vs HS and ECNL - players have a choice

Comment

As has been said, much of what they're doing is about control. By not giving players much of a choice they control the environment. In less than two years they will take no players from ECNL, even those deserving, just to send a clear message. In the interim they'll pretend to be objective, give a few token ECNL players invites

Comment

I dont see anything wrong with that statement. What is wrong, are people taking it too literally. An ECNL club saying, if you want to play in College, we recommend you play for our club. Is that Ok?

One thing that sems to be getting lost is the GDA IS a collaboration between the Clubs and the USSF.

Is it a huge leap to imply that IF you want to be in the NT crosshairs, that playing in a league with NT scouts at games and practices, film and under the rules they prefer increase your odds? of course not. There will always be fantastic players outside the GDA, and im sure they will be selected as well.

The NT angle is a diversion, to me its simple Fulltime vs HS and ECNL - players have a choice
              Absolutely, I don't think it's a bad thing to have options. Some girls don't have a strong HS program, and will choose GDA, while others that enjoy HS can play ECNL. I think the majority of YNT will come from GDA, but if there's an unbelievably strong player in ECNL I don't think she'll be overlooked just because she's playing ECNL. Both leagues will be strong, allowing players to choose the best fit for THEM.

Comment

Absolutely, I don't think it's a bad thing to have options. Some girls don't have a strong HS program, and will choose GDA, while others that enjoy HS can play ECNL. I think the majority of YNT will come from GDA, but if there's an unbelievably strong player in ECNL I don't think she'll be overlooked just because she's playing ECNL. Both leagues will be strong, allowing players to choose the best fit for THEM.
                I think there is a faulty notion that all of the girls who decide not to play GDA automatically go play ECNL. While this may be the case at Stars, but certainly not for Breakers. Many more of those girls are playing Breakers NPL instead of switching clubs to play ECNL.

Comment

Only time USSF will let that fly is a truly exceptional player that has no GDA option nearby. I agree with poster above this will happen in less than two years.

Comment

Only time USSF will let that fly is a truly exceptional player that has no GDA option nearby. I agree with poster above this will happen in less than two years.
                    Interesting how people seem so convinced of this.

Comment

Interesting how people seem so convinced of this.
                      If a good majority of the players they are selecting come from ECNL it will devalue GDA. The fact is they are going to want to promote their league, and the bottom line is they will be watching those players much more than ECNL players. If you look at the YNT players in this area, I'm pretty sure all chose to play GDA.

Comment

What should have been said is we are looking in all leagues to fill our NTs with the best and most talented players. Paying special attention to players in one league versus the others compromises the selection process.

Comment

If a good majority of the players they are selecting come from ECNL it will devalue GDA. The fact is they are going to want to promote their league, and the bottom line is they will be watching those players much more than ECNL players. If you look at the YNT players in this area, I'm pretty sure all chose to play GDA.
                          Really? I thought there were very few defections and the GDA was going to be terrible?

Comment

The thing is, the USSF are simply oversight. You will still have to give a decent amount off control to Club coaches. If a club is not practicing enough and breaking rules, the USSF will remove the GDA. That is a good thing. ECNL just turn a blind eye.

On paper none of the GDA "rules" look onerous and most are common sense

The HS thing is a matter for personal choice.

The ECNL is, to me, a far more dangerous beast when left to self regulate.

Like all walks of life, there are bad people in the USSF and the ECNL. The key is to find local coaching that suits your agenda. the only issue I have is when people paint the ECNL as somehow being put upon. As I siad above - the NE reps on the ECNl are Dewhurst and O'Neill. Go look at how many players JD had on the YNTS over the years and how many he has now. The go look at how many PDA EARLY recruits Rutgers have. Look at how many of the recent YNT campers for PDA have Rutgers ties. Coincidence?

Maybe
                            Is USSF really going to pull GDA if their rules aren't followed? We are from a different state and our NWSL Gda program is breaking many of the rules. Charged an expensive tryout fee, is allowing stars to play high school soccer, is only requiring players to attend 2 or 3 practices per week to allow players to play other high school sports as well, is using the DP option for star players instead of bubble players, etc. All these are in conflict with USSFs stated policies. Personally glad because I have multisport athletes so it works great for us. I do worry about possible consequences though and don't want my players caught in a situation that turns bad. Have there ever been consequences on the boys side?

Comment

What should have been said is we are looking in all leagues to fill our NTs with the best and most talented players. Paying special attention to players in one league versus the others compromises the selection process.
                              Too funny. At the end of the year , for its best of id2 event, do you think the ECNL looked at all its member clubs? Or did they exclude some of those on the basis of who was going to the GDA ?

You seem to want things that dont make sense. Saying you have a better chance thru the GDA is basic common sense. Thats where the USSF are concentrating the talent id efforts. Where do they say they wont look elsewhere?

its like the ECNL - how many times have I heard that is the best place to be "seen". It is, because the coaches attend events. I dont think this is that different. If you wwant to be seen ny the most USSF personnel , then the GDA makes sense.

Comment

Really? I thought there were very few defections and the GDA was going to be terrible?
                                Pretty sure that came from Stars as they are trying to justify the relevance of ECNL, but their YNT are doing GDA. Eventually the majority of YNT will come from GDA.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X