Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

player sues coach after being benched, claims bullying

A sign of the times. Surely we will see more of this soon.......

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-ne...#disqus_thread

Sounds like another HS coach on a power trip. Don't know if there's a legal case to stand on but certainly a moral one. Even if it just makes him soil his boxers good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      A sign of the times. Surely we will see more of this soon.......

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-ne...#disqus_thread
      Pay to play. Forced fund raising

Comment

Pay to play. Forced fund raising
        I hope the kid takes the high school for the full amount. Coach seems like a real dik. Where was the ad? Fundraising bs is why I never had my kid tryout for Oakwood. I don't want anyone to force my kid to fundraise. Kids these days have many competing priorities for thier time. She has probably done more volunteer work and fundraising then I have done in my whole life. However, she chooses what she wants to do with her time. No coach is going to force her to do something with the threat of benching her because he has an agenda.

Comment

Fundraising is a necessary evil for many programs, even in schools because of tight budgets. I've no issue with that. But it should always be voluntary and benching a starter is nothing but petty vindictiveness. If people believe in the program they're more willing to participate. Being a dik has the opposite effect

Comment

Not sure how i feel about the lawsuit but a 3 year starter who suddenly gets benched after a disagreement over a forced fundraiser? Nice look for the coach there.

Depending on the kid's ability and previous stats, he could look to prove that the prevention from showcasing will have a negative impact on his future earning, depending on college placement or the ability to be drafted (as unlikely as it is). I think its all some overly litigious BS but thats how people roll now..

Comment

Not sure how i feel about the lawsuit but a 3 year starter who suddenly gets benched after a disagreement over a forced fundraiser? Nice look for the coach there.

Depending on the kid's ability and previous stats, he could look to prove that the prevention from showcasing will have a negative impact on his future earning, depending on college placement or the ability to be drafted (as unlikely as it is). I think its all some overly litigious BS but thats how people roll now..
              Not a starter and apparently not very good either -
              http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/robb...ball-stats.htm

Comment

Not a starter and apparently not very good either -
                http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/robb...ball-stats.htm
                Do you think these stats are current & or accurate?

Comment

Do you think these stats are current & or accurate?
                  Max preps lol...doubtful the parents would claim that unless they have stats to back it up.

"The lawsuit also claimed the teenager had been a starter for three years prior to coach Lopez being hired."

More importantly "Lopez (dad) spoke to the school after the coach did not allow players to practice who had not participated in a fundraising event. It is illegal in California to require students to fundraise to participate in public school activities." That's where the coach is in trouble. With PT he can argue the kid isn't that good (again, start records may prove otherwise) but if it can be proved he coerced participation despite laws against it then they may have a very good case.

Comment

How many of us get pressured to pay "booster club" fees for our kids HS sports teams? It's supposed to be voluntary but at our school it's hardly that. The BC president will harass you with emails until you pay. Now I know school budgets are tight and it helps the team, but with two kids playing two sports each it adds up. I don't think any of our coaches at our HS would hold PT against a family that didn't pay, but face it there are plenty of coaches out there that would.

Comment

How many of us get pressured to pay "booster club" fees for our kids HS sports teams? It's supposed to be voluntary but at our school it's hardly that. The BC president will harass you with emails until you pay. Now I know school budgets are tight and it helps the team, but with two kids playing two sports each it adds up. I don't think any of our coaches at our HS would hold PT against a family that didn't pay, but face it there are plenty of coaches out there that would.
                      our BC is one of the most obnoxious experiences we had with our kid in HS. In JR year we stopped paying and got harassing emails, and the guy had the gall to send out a mass email letting people know who hadn't paid yet (this was in October of the year). After getting that gem, we DEFINITELY weren't paying, I'm not giving in to tactics like that.

Comment

our BC is one of the most obnoxious experiences we had with our kid in HS. In JR year we stopped paying and got harassing emails, and the guy had the gall to send out a mass email letting people know who hadn't paid yet (this was in October of the year). After getting that gem, we DEFINITELY weren't paying, I'm not giving in to tactics like that.
                        Ours is pretty bad too, but the important piece would be if paying or not is known by the coach and it impacts your child. Technically booster clubs aren't part of the school but there's a very fuzzy line

Comment

Ours is pretty bad too, but the important piece would be if paying or not is known by the coach and it impacts your child. Technically booster clubs aren't part of the school but there's a very fuzzy line
                          Our kids playing time stayed the same despite non-payment. The head coach was cced on all emails so he was in the know on BC communications. An additional thing I didn't like was all the fundraising. They charged us $180 for the season, then put pressure to participate in the fundraising too. Where is this war chest going? They offered a BC scholarship every year, but the scholarship amount was peanuts. I dunno, the entire thing was super odd.

Comment

Our kids playing time stayed the same despite non-payment. The head coach was cced on all emails so he was in the know on BC communications. An additional thing I didn't like was all the fundraising. They charged us $180 for the season, then put pressure to participate in the fundraising too. Where is this war chest going? They offered a BC scholarship every year, but the scholarship amount was peanuts. I dunno, the entire thing was super odd.
                            And this is an SCC school with large Freshman, JV and V teams, so there was a lot of $ involved in this.

Comment

Our BC is for both the boys and girls programs and heavily favors the boys side. They seem to get great gear with brand names and the girls side gets no-name garbage. The boys have new kits just about every year and the girls sometimes get their previous kits every few years. They make a decent amount from concessions as well and demand that parents volunteer to work them. Crowds are the same for girls and boys night games but concessions are rarely opened by the BC for the girls games. They try to coerce parents into it under the guise that if you don't you will have to pay for the end of year banquet out of pocket which they cover for members ..... We just pay the $25 for our kids awful meal (worth $6-7 in truth). I am also not sure where all of the money goes as they do not publish the books. And they keep wondering why the parents of the girls teams grumble at participating and often talk about either dropping out entirely or starting our own BC.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X