Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stanford vs. Ivy League

My S is being recruited by Stanford and some Ivies for soccer. While he won't get a full ride at Stanford, it is still a great school but very far away.

I'd love to see him closer to home at Brown or Princeton, but question whether I should coach him on this point.

Cost of college not an issue.

What is his major?

Comment

Depends what the goal of this fiction really is? Are we pretending that the soccer is really important or are we somehow trying to say that the education is the only factor to be measured? If soccer is the primary factor then Stanford is the hands down answer. Let's just pretend that other thinks like living all the way across the country aren't even a consideration.

Comment

If not fiction - just going to school in CA is a life experience. The campus is freaking amazing and beautiful, and, well, it's CA. There's so much to do off campus in the area it's absurd. Personally I'm a big believer in going far away from school (if the kid can handle being away). It forces kids to be more independent and self sufficient. The also tend to appreciate mom's home cooking when they can't come home all the time for it :)

That said it's aall up to the student, what he wants from school, fit, comfort going far way vs staying close.

Comment

Wonderful choices.

The soccer experiences will differ greatly. Stanford will require much more of a year around commitment. Make sure your son understands exactly what are the expectations.

Although Brown is a fine school, i do not think it is comparable with either Princeton or Stanford.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Wonderful choices.

The soccer experiences will differ greatly. Stanford will require much more of a year around commitment. Make sure your son understands exactly what are the expectations.

Although Brown is a fine school, i do not think it is comparable with either Princeton or Stanford.
            yes- brown with it's gradeless and wild west curriculum is a big step below Princeton.

Comment

My S is being recruited <SNIP>

I'd love to see him closer to home at Brown or Princeton, but question whether I should coach him on this point.

Don’t coach him. Discuss, even challenge, all your options do you understand he is fully thinking through HIS decision, and let him make it. You are absurdly fortunate those are a great schools and pretty to very good teams, and, since money is no object, he can choose on the merits....

Comment

Something for your son to consider: how will he fit on the team and how comfortable will he be?

My daughter was more interested in being an impact player on the team rather than being a bench warmer. So, she chose accordingly. It worked out great for her as she was a first team all conference player at a top D3 school. She did not want to be a bench player on an Ivy team.

Comment

Depends what the goal of this fiction really is? Are we pretending that the soccer is really important or are we somehow trying to say that the education is the only factor to be measured? If soccer is the primary factor then Stanford is the hands down answer. Let's just pretend that other thinks like living all the way across the country aren't even a consideration.
                  This comment really should've shut this post down... This is some serious BS. If anyone was to come on here with these options and asked for advice - they'd likely make the wrong decision.

Comment

So your telling us that your kid is getting recruited by the top team in the ncaa and you need TS comments to make this work....I smell troll

Who else in the area is recruiting him?

Comment

Something for your son to consider: how will he fit on the team and how comfortable will he be?

My daughter was more interested in being an impact player on the team rather than being a bench warmer. So, she chose accordingly. It worked out great for her as she was a first team all conference player at a top D3 school. She did not want to be a bench player on an Ivy team.
                      So she went for soccer not educatin!

Comment

So your telling us that your kid is getting recruited by the top team in the ncaa and you need TS comments to make this work....I smell troll

Who else in the area is recruiting him?
                        Stanford men are actually #18 now.

Comment

So she went for soccer not educatin!
                          The Ivy interested in her was not h-y-p. The D3 school she chose was equivalent to the Ivy where she had a offer.

Her ability to get a good undergraduate education was at least equal to what would have happened at the Ivy. Keep in mind the reduced demands of D3 versus D1. The 4 seniors her year had outstanding grad school placements: 2 directly into med school, 2 into fully funded phD programs.

Comment

My S is being recruited by Stanford and some Ivies for soccer. While he won't get a full ride at Stanford, it is still a great school but very far away.

Cost of college not an issue.

I see these are troubling times for you and your son.
                            While his academic interests are important to guide the proper school selection, especially if he is interested in some field of business/economics.
                            However, if he is that good and that bright I would aim for Duke or some other top ACC academic school and play in a real league.

Comment

The Ivy interested in her was not h-y-p. The D3 school she chose was equivalent to the Ivy where she had a offer.

Her ability to get a good undergraduate education was at least equal to what would have happened at the Ivy. Keep in mind the reduced demands of D3 versus D1. The 4 seniors her year had outstanding grad school placements: 2 directly into med school, 2 into fully funded phD programs.
                              There is a level of education and experience you get at most Ivies that is hard to compare vs top D3 schools. You can argue, etc, and they are pros and cons, it is just really different.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X