new to Portland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are really piling on that poster - extensive time in the car sucks!

We chose some years ago to not play with the local club, went to what we thought was better. Still generally happy with the choice, although the local club got better and the driving sucks!

Didn't read that post as passive aggressive, just pointing out time in the car 3-4 times a week starts to add up.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      We chose some years ago to not play with the local club, went to what we thought was better. Still generally happy with the choice, although the local club got better and the driving sucks!

Didn't read that post as passive aggressive, just pointing out time in the car 3-4 times a week starts to add up.
      Really? You must not have read this part.

I'm not sure why anyone living in Clackamas would want to make the drive to Hillsboro/Beaverton to get to Westside or FC Portland...but there are certainly people with more time to kill than myself.
      Or this one.

I'm not willing to let my son's soccer dictate our life or entire week. But hey - there are plenty of people on this crazy forum (see '05s) that try and live out their High-School JV experience through their kids.

Comment

Really? You must not have read this part.

Or this one.
        I read it; we made a different choice, generally ok with the choice we made, doesn't mean there isn't a downside to that choice or that the OP was wrong in pointing out the opportunity cost in a bunch of time in the car.

Dempsey parents did it (crazy-ass travel time to every practice), plenty of parents of other pros did it, doesn't mean it is the right decision for every family.

Comment

I read it; we made a different choice, generally ok with the choice we made, doesn't mean there isn't a downside to that choice or that the OP was wrong in pointing out the opportunity cost in a bunch of time in the car.

Dempsey parents did it (crazy-ass travel time to every practice), plenty of parents of other pros did it, doesn't mean it is the right decision for every family.
          Plenty of parents from Bend (6hr round trip to Beaverton/same as Dempsey in tx) did it twice a week and weekend games for a few years, this contingent, accounted for 50% of the players of one Westside Metros Club team ‘Gunners’ and to this day those parents and kids say it was worth it. They all went on to play in college.

Today there is only one destination for the top youth players, as we all understand it’s the exclusive MLS Timbers/ NWSL Thorns DA program.

Why drive to a local club that is not a destination for the best of the best. Simple logic. It’s not worth the drive, even thought it might only eat up an xtra 1hr each night in the car of driving twice a week.

This is rocket science folks.

Comment

Plenty of parents from Bend (6hr round trip to Beaverton/same as Dempsey in tx) did it twice a week and weekend games for a few years, this contingent, accounted for 50% of the players of one Westside Metros Club team ‘Gunners’ and to this day those parents and kids say it was worth it. They all went on to play in college.

Today there is only one destination for the top youth players, as we all understand it’s the exclusive MLS Timbers/ NWSL Thorns DA program.

Why drive to a local club that is not a destination for the best of the best. Simple logic. It’s not worth the drive, even thought it might only eat up an xtra 1hr each night in the car of driving twice a week.

This is rocket science folks.
            TA has kids driving up from Springfield. Four nights a week, for training. Not quite as far as Bend, but still a hell of a trip for soccer practice.

Not sure any of the local clubs around here is worth that investment. WSM used to be, before the academy took over that role. FC still has one top player driving up from Molalla, and yes, Crossfire would be a shorter commute for him.

But this is common for elite training in many sports, or other endeavors. The top training facilities are rare things; every town has a local rec soccer club and some may even have competitive clubs playing in OYSA D2 or even D1; but there's only one Timbers Academy in the state, and it's not located in Eugene or Bend or Klamath Falls.

Comment

TA has kids driving up from Springfield. Four nights a week, for training. Not quite as far as Bend, but still a hell of a trip for soccer practice.

Not sure any of the local clubs around here is worth that investment. WSM used to be, before the academy took over that role. FC still has one top player driving up from Molalla, and yes, Crossfire would be a shorter commute for him.
              Molalla to Liberty High School is just rediculous! I can’t imagine why anyone would do that!

Comment

But this is common for elite training in many sports, or other endeavors. The top training facilities are rare things; every town has a local rec soccer club and some may even have competitive clubs playing in OYSA D2 or even D1; but there's only one Timbers Academy in the state, and it's not located in Eugene or Bend or Klamath Falls.
                Actually we have zero elite training environments here. Don’t care that one is associated with an mls club and carries their name- it is a chit show that is a dumpster fire...but I guess if you keep telling yourself otherwise it will be so. Just click your heals and say “there’s no place like TA” 3 times and it will magically be true...

Comment

That would be both pathetic and awesome. "Lovey, please ring up our attorney. Some urchin from across the river has been cutting into little Winston's playing time! And the Jag-yoo-ar is misfiring again, can you have Nigel tune the engine after he's done manicuring the shrubberies?"

Sadly, I suspect not. Sounds more like a Crossfire parent trying to recruit, on the off chance the OP is living in Clackamas County, and might not know where the local DA clubs are located.
                  Wrong on all accounts...with multiple kids, extra time in the car does suck, especially for the younger siblings (4 & 5 yr. old brothers), who don't want to keep driving for hours on end. At some point, there has to be some balance. My kids will go to college, but most likely because of their academics, not on a tiny partial athletic scholarship. Besides, after working for 12 hours a day, I'm not in the mood to spend the next several driving back & forth to practice either. Just simple.

Comment

Could this be a butt hurt Crossfire parent taking shots at former Eastside player GR for taking their little boy's minutes?
                    Oh how interesting! Too bad the official game reports no longer list the minutes played...It would be so fun to figure out which parent this could be! We have played Crossfire twice now, and I can't say that I have noticed any of their regular starters playing less significant minutes, with the exception of one. Crossfire parents, sound off! Did GR steal your DS's minutes?

Comment

Oh how interesting! Too bad the official game reports no longer list the minutes played...It would be so fun to figure out which parent this could be! We have played Crossfire twice now, and I can't say that I have noticed any of their regular starters playing less significant minutes, with the exception of one. Crossfire parents, sound off! Did GR steal your DS's minutes?
                      Which one is playing less? And how would you know if you are not a cfire parent?

Comment

What team does your son play for?

Comment

What team does your son play for?
                          I would think it is not hard to figure out. Who has Xfire played twice?

Comment

I would think it is not hard to figure out. Who has Xfire played twice?
                            FC and updx based on the schedules, so again which team? Sounds more like a parent from FC who has gotten their ass kicked twice by xfire trying to stir chit up. I would guess the one who drives from mollala maybe?

Comment

FC and updx based on the schedules, so again which team? Sounds more like a parent from FC who has gotten their ass kicked twice by xfire trying to stir chit up. I would guess the one who drives from mollala maybe?
                              You guys are so wrong on this. I'm a parent in Vancouver who lives 10 minutes from Harmony. I was simply saying that I'm not willing to over extend our family's time by spending more of it on the road. We spend enough time on the turf as it is. Clackamas to Hillsboro was just an example of more time than I'd like to spend in my vehicle. By now, I'm sure that your over zealous responses have scared away the original poster, who was simply asking for some advice. Way to leave an impression on the state of Oregon soccer and the over-the-top fans and comments on mediocre soccer. Sheesh...way to over-reach.....

Comment

99% of the time these posts are fake anyway.

“Moving to Oregon with two national team kids. Which is the best club and why?”

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X