Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is any of this new or surprising? I think there are a couple of important indisputable facts:

1. Participation has been declining.
    2. The reasons are multi-factorial and no one can really quantify them with certainty.

With respect to the first point, it doesn't matter very much to me that some activities are experiencing a similar decline or that other activities are not. With respect to the second point, it doesn't matter much to me that we have more than a general understanding of the factors causing the decline in participation, so debating the degrees that not having fun or not being able to play in the same age group with an elementary school classmate or neighborhood friend cause choosing something else doesn't seem as important as being aware of these kinds of things and addressing them.

And this is my point, what has USSF (or anyone else for that matter) demonstrated in recent policy rollouts, GDA launch, etc. that demonstrates supporting participation and love for the game at the grassroots more than pay-to-play? Until I see the governing organization demonstrate that in order to build the best national teams, there needs to be this support for the soccer culture, my expectations won't change.
    You need to stop thinking that soccer is every kid's god given right. The article someone posted is spot on. Being an athlete isn't for everyone. Your angst at the USSF is misdirected. It's not their job to force this country into becoming a soccer culture. USSF doesn't actually care about 99.99% of the country's soccer players, nor should they for that matter. As you note, their job ultimately is to create the very best national team they can. Believe or not 99.99% of the soccer playing population could care less about that goal so why SHOULD the USSF factor them into their thinking.

Comment

But it is their job to promote it.

United States Soccer Federation, Inc.
      Bylaw 102. PURPOSES
      The purposes of the Federation are:
      (1) to promote soccer in the United States, including national and international games
      and tournaments, soccer for women and men, indoor soccer and beach soccer;
      (2) to govern, coordinate, and administer the sport of soccer in the United States;
      (3) to provide for the continuing development of soccer players, coaches, referees and
      administrators;
      (4) to provide for national cup competitions; and
      (5) to provide for the prompt and equitable resolution of grievances.

You need to stop thinking that soccer is every kid's god given right. The article someone posted is spot on. Being an athlete isn't for everyone. Your angst at the USSF is misdirected. It's not their job to force this country into becoming a soccer culture. USSF doesn't actually care about 99.99% of the country's soccer players, nor should they for that matter. As you note, their job ultimately is to create the very best national team they can. Believe or not 99.99% of the soccer playing population could care less about that goal so why SHOULD the USSF factor them into their thinking.

Comment

Soccer Culture Cry-Daddy,
        are you doing equally well with getting teen culture to look up from their phones?

Comment

Kids playing soccer

This topic has been on my mind for a very long time now and I myself was afectes by it. I have a group of kids, 9 as of now to be exact that are dying to play club soccer where they will be noticed because all they can afford to play is High School soccer. These kids aren’t coming from poverty obviously but their parents make no where near enough to support putting their kids on club teams. Let’s also say these kids aren’t the most easily coachable kids that would thrive in under any environment. Which is why I decided to start my own club team in which these kids will have their fees fully paid for and give them a chance to play. I don’t ask that ty donate but at least spread the link and give us awareness. That would be greatly appreciated!!!

https://www.gofundme.com/club-soccer...18b053bad73bef

Comment

I actually think this (one of the points in one of the articles linked above) is the biggest issue:
            "Our culture no longer supports older kids playing for the fun of it" I know so many kids that felt " I am not going to make high school team" (ANY sport - not just soccer) so why keep playing, or "I am not going to make varsity" so why keep playing?

By no means do I think this is the ONLY reason but I personally put it at the top. I looked for some statistics on overall youth participation and basically what I found is that in the same time period overall youth sports participation went down 8-9% so soccer is greater than average.

Comment

I actually think this (one of the points in one of the articles linked above) is the biggest issue:
              "Our culture no longer supports older kids playing for the fun of it" I know so many kids that felt " I am not going to make high school team" (ANY sport - not just soccer) so why keep playing, or "I am not going to make varsity" so why keep playing?

By no means do I think this is the ONLY reason but I personally put it at the top. I looked for some statistics on overall youth participation and basically what I found is that in the same time period overall youth sports participation went down 8-9% so soccer is greater than average.
              I do find it really sad that most clubs (nor town programs) have options for high school aged kids who didn't make their school team to play in the fall. Instead of having that time to work with professional coaches to improve and maybe even close the gap a bit, they have to sit aside, skills declining and falling further behind, while the kids who did make their high school teams play almost every day of the fall season. Then there are high schools that don't allow juniors and seniors to play on the JV team, if they didn't make varsity. They have no where to play during the school season either. To promote a soccer culture, kids of all levels who want to keep playing should have opportunities to do so.

Comment

This topic has been on my mind for a very long time now and I myself was afectes by it. I have a group of kids, 9 as of now to be exact that are dying to play club soccer where they will be noticed because all they can afford to play is High School soccer. These kids aren’t coming from poverty obviously but their parents make no where near enough to support putting their kids on club teams. Let’s also say these kids aren’t the most easily coachable kids that would thrive in under any environment. Which is why I decided to start my own club team in which these kids will have their fees fully paid for and give them a chance to play. I don’t ask that ty donate but at least spread the link and give us awareness. That would be greatly appreciated!!!

https://www.gofundme.com/club-soccer...18b053bad73bef
                I applaud your efforts.

However, isn't club soccer available in most geographic areas? Maybe DA or ECNL isn't available but regular club programs are available throughout the state. I also think that the annual fee is somewhere around $1300 for a Maple-level club team. If these kids are in high school why can't they get a part-time job to make $110 per month to pay for the club soccer. When I was growing up I wanted a dirt bike...I didn't tell my parents to buy it...I got a job and saved my money to buy it.

Also, there's other programs to do in addition to High School. MA Youth Soccer has District Select in the summer which is inexpensive. There are other programs throughout the year that are similar.

Comment

I do find it really sad that most clubs (nor town programs) have options for high school aged kids who didn't make their school team to play in the fall. Instead of having that time to work with professional coaches to improve and maybe even close the gap a bit, they have to sit aside, skills declining and falling further behind, while the kids who did make their high school teams play almost every day of the fall season. Then there are high schools that don't allow juniors and seniors to play on the JV team, if they didn't make varsity. They have no where to play during the school season either. To promote a soccer culture, kids of all levels who want to keep playing should have opportunities to do so.
                  Our culture is oriented toward achievement. Kids need to make the varsity, get good grades, get admitted to college, date someone who's popular/attractive, etc. In a lot of families (including mine), the kids are wired to reach for things, even if it's just a nicer cell phone case or the most fashionable pair of shoes. Unfortunately, this means that many activities that might be fun or enjoyable simply aren't valued. Playing recreational soccer is one of those activities.

In our town, as soon as kids realize that they're unlikely to make varsity by junior year, many quit and join cross country or prepare for another sport, or get a job. Perhaps they didn't love soccer all that much to begin with, which is a bit of an indictment of how they were introduced to the game in the first place. I look at our town (big youth program, good D1 high school program) and wonder whether the u-littles are being taught to love/appreciate the game vs. simply identifying the future HS stars and weeding out the chaff. I don't have the answer, but I'm positive that our town has not cracked the code for developing a sustainable "soccer culture."

Comment

In our class M town where there's 5 classes for each grade in grammar school, kids are in class with a different set of kids each year. I've never heard a kid or parent complain about that. And in rec sports you're with a different set of players every season. Life goes on. The whole 'birth year rule messed up everything' argument is a crock.
                    You are woefully out of touch then. It’s been a massive issue.

Comment

Massive issue? Drama much?

Comment

For those who were on the margin maybe. For those players who have a passion for the sport, they continue to play. Many of the players that my D played with that were impacted at the club level still play, just on an older team now, and often on a lower level team than before. The kids in town programs who were marginal and only played because of their friends, maybe they dropped it... but there are plenty of young ones still coming up from the ulittle ages who won't know anything but calendar year.

Economics has more to do with the drop off than anything else. Too many parents complaining of the cost of leagues and teams, the travel, etc.

Comment

I agree with the poster that birth year changes affected a lot of players. Some had to drop back a year, and others had to move up. It can be done, but for my kids it was not easy. They wish it never happened. I would say that it was a massive issue because it affected a great deal of players.

Comment

Not the poster but it has impacted a lot of kids. Maybe not in a "dramatic" fashion but it very much exists. Some younger kids feel more comfortable trying something new if they have a buddy there. Take that away and some potentially good players may never try the sport. With older kids the no team-8th grade issue is very real. Sure the more motivated players will find ways to play, but shouldn't we be trying to keep as many players in the game as possible? There shouldn't be roadblocks to playing. The move to a calendar year system was completely unnecessary, and to whatever extent is keeping some kids from playing it should be reconsidered.

Comment

I agree with the poster that birth year changes affected a lot of players. Some had to drop back a year, and others had to move up. It can be done, but for my kids it was not easy. They wish it never happened. I would say that it was a massive issue because it affected a great deal of players.
                              Technical skills are technical skills are technical skills. Kids moving down or up should have the same skills they had before. They didn't forget how to dribble or take space or make a move just because they're playing with different teammates.

Comment

Not the poster but it has impacted a lot of kids. Maybe not in a "dramatic" fashion but it very much exists. Some younger kids feel more comfortable trying something new if they have a buddy there. Take that away and some potentially good players may never try the sport. With older kids the no team-8th grade issue is very real. Sure the more motivated players will find ways to play, but shouldn't we be trying to keep as many players in the game as possible? There shouldn't be roadblocks to playing. The move to a calendar year system was completely unnecessary, and to whatever extent is keeping some kids from playing it should be reconsidered.
                                In the four organizations my kids are part of (2 town, 2 club), I didn't hear of any kids that were without a spot after the changes. The organizations made room for kids who wanted to play. That includes eighth graders.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X