Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Players commit early for many reasons. Local dream school is one of them. The Thorns Eugen goalie committed to Oregon even earlier than the Salem forward. Every year a couple Oregon girls commit to the Ducks & Beavers at the Frosh-Soph timeframe. This is standard so it’s not the parents trying to jump the gun. Not all play much but some do and they have a shot and I hope they make an impact. Congratulations to both of them and I think they will be good additions to the team. No idea about the Eugene goalie since she got a national team call up but Stanford & UCLA are way beyond the academic and soccer level of not only the Salem player but basically every girl in Oregon. When was the last time an Oregon girl was recruited to either one of those schools? Even if you’re on a YNT, you have to be super smart to get into Stanford. UCLA is much easier to get into than Stanford but much harder than Oregon or Oregon State.
    Typically those earlier committers are dreamers who a) never even go to college or b) never play soccer in college. No different here.

Comment

So show us all where FCP ECNL 2001 ever played in OYSA? Never happened, did it? Now, their pre-ECNL team did play 1 season in OYSA, lost just 1 game, and went all the way to the state cup final only to lose on a PK when the "Salem Superstar" did her patented flop and cry to the ref.
      He's talking about the FCP U13 team that completely dominated OYSA in the fall. Wasn't a Timbers bootball thugball team anywhere close...

Comment

This is spot on. And playing for Thorns Academy or either ECNL team won't change this reality one bit. We are who we are in Oregon, and 99.9999% of our players are not at the level to attract attention from the likes of Stanford, Penn, UCLA, etc. The most impressive commit I've seen these last few years is the CU keeper committing to Notre Dame. But for the vast majority of our players, Oregon, Oregon State, occasionally WSU or UW are exactly the appropriate places for our players. If you want a dose of reality, check out the commits (and yes, most of them are sophomore year and some are freshman) for clubs like So Cal Blues, MVLA, etc. Then you'll realize how far behind Oregon is.
        While this is all true, we shouldn’t be bashing players that commit to play for the local Pac12 UoO or OSU! Even lower Pac12 teams are extremely tough and it’s a huge accomplishment! Same goes for a player committing to a much lower Lewis & Clark, Concordia, etc. These girls are working hard, putting themselves out there and they have to pick from the best offers given. Don’t forget that these girls also have to be smart enough to get into the better academic schools. Every player along with their parents looks at the writing on the wall and picks the best offer that is available. Don’t bash players for picking their best choice! Let’s be proud of them and happy for them. 99% of our dds are in the same boat. We should be concentrating on improving Oregon soccer as a whole so that our very top players are regularly recruited to the likes of Notre Dame, UCLA, Stanford, Penn, etc. and on down the line. Good luck to all the Oregon girls going off to play a game they live at any college!

Comment

While this is all true, we shouldn’t be bashing players that commit to play for the local Pac12 UoO or OSU! Even lower Pac12 teams are extremely tough and it’s a huge accomplishment! Same goes for a player committing to a much lower Lewis & Clark, Concordia, etc. These girls are working hard, putting themselves out there and they have to pick from the best offers given. Don’t forget that these girls also have to be smart enough to get into the better academic schools. Every player along with their parents looks at the writing on the wall and picks the best offer that is available. Don’t bash players for picking their best choice! Let’s be proud of them and happy for them. 99% of our dds are in the same boat. We should be concentrating on improving Oregon soccer as a whole so that our very top players are regularly recruited to the likes of Notre Dame, UCLA, Stanford, Penn, etc. and on down the line. Good luck to all the Oregon girls going off to play a game they live at any college!
          I wrote the post you responded to and I completely agree with your response. My criticism isn’t directed at girls committing to Oregon, OSU, Concordia, or even Lewis and Clark or George Fox. Any time a player gets to continue her career and further her education that should be celebrated.

My beef is with parents who think joining a certain team automatically guarantees their kid will get offers above and beyond the typical schools that recruit Oregon players. There are players who are giving up high school sports and extracurricular activities and spending hours commuting to practice because they believe the lie that being on a certain team means they will get offers from schools that have no interest in Oregon players. Meanwhile, seniors on those same Thorns academy teams are touting commitments to Oregon, Oregon State, and...wait for it....George Fox. In other words, the exact same results they would have gotten staying with their local teams, playing high school sports, and having a balanced life. THAT is my objection.

Comment

The FC Portland ECNL 2001 girls finished in fourth place in OYSA Premier. That is a really good result. Always disappointment at state cup, but finishing 4th place in OYSA Premier is a big accomplishment for them.
            There has been a lot of disappointment for sure but winning isn’t everything. You can learn from losing. It’s a good life skill. Academics is a lot more important.

Comment

The FC Portland ECNL 2001 girls finished in fourth place in OYSA Premier. That is a really good result. Always disappointment at state cup, but finishing 4th place in OYSA Premier is a big accomplishment for them.
              It was third place. Tied Eugene Timbers. Tied Eastside Timbers. Won a shootout with WashT 4-3. Two quality wins over WashT greens, a C team.

Impressive. FC Portland ECNL 2001 pulling a tie with Eastside Celta Vigo was a big accomplishment.

Comment

I wrote the post you responded to and I completely agree with your response. My criticism isn’t directed at girls committing to Oregon, OSU, Concordia, or even Lewis and Clark or George Fox. Any time a player gets to continue her career and further her education that should be celebrated.

My beef is with parents who think joining a certain team automatically guarantees their kid will get offers above and beyond the typical schools that recruit Oregon players. There are players who are giving up high school sports and extracurricular activities and spending hours commuting to practice because they believe the lie that being on a certain team means they will get offers from schools that have no interest in Oregon players. Meanwhile, seniors on those same Thorns academy teams are touting commitments to Oregon, Oregon State, and...wait for it....George Fox. In other words, the exact same results they would have gotten staying with their local teams, playing high school sports, and having a balanced life. THAT is my objection.

Yes but sometimes it's better to move on when coaching gets stagnant .

Comment

Yes but sometimes it's better to move on when coaching gets stagnant .
                  That would be a valid point if one single family who joined Thorns academy cited that as the reason for joining. They didn't and you know this. They joined Thorns because they were sold a barrel of snake oil by EL and his cronies. They were told players would receive far more college exposure and opportunities than any other team out there. Their ODP coaches spent most of a year telling players that they would be left behind if they stayed with their TA teams.

The parents who bought this now realize they got fooled. But instead of owning their bad decision, they are pivoting and deflecting with "stagnant coaching." Ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Comment

I sort of agree with you but don’t have a beef. EVERY girl that signed up for Thorns did so knowingly and willingly. Up to them if they want to buy snake oil. Same could be said for 80% of the kids playing OYSA soccer, driving & flying all over the place when Rec soccer is all the C, B and half the A team need. The entire club soccer scene is just as much a scam as the Thorns. If the entire country had stayed playing sports through high school, every kid would have more time, more money & more life outside of sports to enjoy a balanced life. Girls would get to play 3 sports and play their best sport in college. Top Oregon girls would still go to the exact same schools as before and now with the top players going to the Ducks & Beavers & the not as top going to lesser places like Boise State, Portland State, then all the way down the line to lower level D3s like George Fox & then on down to CC. I guess my beef is with the entire pay-to-play soccer system that is way more about making money than what is good for these girls. US Soccer is simply the last one to jump on the bandwagon & continue to mess things up. I’m much more angry about the stupid birth year change for the 99.9% of players that will never go near a national team. Fall u15 has been ruined and entire u18 has been ruined. GDA is in the same vein. Particularly in Oregon where we simply only develop one national team player maybe every 30 yrs. Agree that many Thorns parents and players believe they are that one and that hope is being preyed on. However, everyone signs up 100% voluntarily & I certainly can’t fault anyone from trying to follow their dream. The sad part to me is that if none of us parents bought into this whole club pay to play system at any level, our girls could be in a much better place.

Comment

It was third place. Tied Eugene Timbers. Tied Eastside Timbers. Won a shootout with WashT 4-3. Two quality wins over WashT greens, a C team.

Impressive. FC Portland ECNL 2001 pulling a tie with Eastside Celta Vigo was a big accomplishment.
                      Eastside was not a very good team.

Comment

Eastside was not a very good team.
                        Pure thugball - and the Gresham Gorilla!

Comment

I sort of agree with you but don’t have a beef. EVERY girl that signed up for Thorns did so knowingly and willingly. Up to them if they want to buy snake oil. Same could be said for 80% of the kids playing OYSA soccer, driving & flying all over the place when Rec soccer is all the C, B and half the A team need. The entire club soccer scene is just as much a scam as the Thorns. If the entire country had stayed playing sports through high school, every kid would have more time, more money & more life outside of sports to enjoy a balanced life. Girls would get to play 3 sports and play their best sport in college. Top Oregon girls would still go to the exact same schools as before and now with the top players going to the Ducks & Beavers & the not as top going to lesser places like Boise State, Portland State, then all the way down the line to lower level D3s like George Fox & then on down to CC. I guess my beef is with the entire pay-to-play soccer system that is way more about making money than what is good for these girls. US Soccer is simply the last one to jump on the bandwagon & continue to mess things up. I’m much more angry about the stupid birth year change for the 99.9% of players that will never go near a national team. Fall u15 has been ruined and entire u18 has been ruined. GDA is in the same vein. Particularly in Oregon where we simply only develop one national team player maybe every 30 yrs. Agree that many Thorns parents and players believe they are that one and that hope is being preyed on. However, everyone signs up 100% voluntarily & I certainly can’t fault anyone from trying to follow their dream. The sad part to me is that if none of us parents bought into this whole club pay to play system at any level, our girls could be in a much better place.
                          Totally agree with you especially about the birth year switch. This impacts the more rural areas so much more. Look at Bend, Medford, and Eugene struggling to put together a full roster that u19 year. And for what? It benefits no one. The birth year system was in place for ODP and national team call ups and it was working just fine.

Comment

Don't get upset with the system, it's parents that need a reality check. The system preys on parents who think their loved one can do anything they want. Even the worst players in OR think they are going to play college. Oregon soccer has been poor and OYSA is a badly ran organization. It does not have true soccer people involved in the day to day operations which gives the Timbers and opportunity to pounce. OYSA is like the clueless parent. Community clubs are being ripped apart. Just look at the nonsense with NEU and BSC. They are selling it as 'The largest club in OR' when really, the guys at the top are just giving themselves job security. My advice to parents would be to join a community club that teaches life lessons as well as soccer development. Good luck finding that in OR!

Comment

Totally agree with you especially about the birth year switch. This impacts the more rural areas so much more. Look at Bend, Medford, and Eugene struggling to put together a full roster that u19 year. And for what? It benefits no one. The birth year system was in place for ODP and national team call ups and it was working just fine.
                              The birth year change was pushed by US soccer. US Soccer has a long track record of being not good at youth development. Look at what they have done with the men’s national team. They decided to get involved with the development of boys. Now we have a very poor men’s national team. The players the in their system are uncreative unhappy and honestly not very good. Thanks US soccer

Comment

The birth year change was pushed by US soccer. US Soccer has a long track record of being not good at youth development. Look at what they have done with the men’s national team. They decided to get involved with the development of boys. Now we have a very poor men’s national team. The players the in their system are uncreative unhappy and honestly not very good. Thanks US soccer
                                Yes, a change to youth soccer last year caused the men's team to lose. Good sleuthing Sherlock

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X