Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Two reasons. First it would mean every female player would have to purchase a brand new kit even though most clubs do kit purchases on a two year cycle. This is a significant extra expense because unlike academy, players pay for their kits.

Second is the widespread and pervasive mistrust between alliance clubs and TA honchos. Alliance clubs joined an “alliance” only to see the GDA program siphon off their best players for a program that most coaches feel is no better than what is offered at the alliance clubs. They saw those super teams come back and thump alliance clubs in OYSA that first year. And they hear stories from their ODP families about ODP morphing into a giant high pressure sales pitch where players are told they must go to academy or lose their soccer futures. In short, alliance clubs don’t trust any offers they get from alliance HQ anymore. They got fooled once but won’t again. And again, if you don’t believe me ask your club DOC.
    My club flew to NJ for two meaningless games and we had to pay the entire bill, count your blessings.

Comment

You obviously aren’t involved in leadership at any club. Their agreement with adidas is through Timbers and is alliance-wide. All Alliance teams had the option to switch to Thorns/Nike. All turned it down except eastside. This is undisputed fact and ask your DOC or club board members for confirmation if you need to.
      Not completely right.Westside has had a contract in place with adidas for many years before the alliance. To this day, their agreement is with adidas because the WST contract includes a first-consideration clause for adidas to renew contracts, meaning that they have the right to know what any other vendor is offering and can provide a competing bid.

I vaguely remember Paulsen's wife as having something to do with Nike so the peace-offering was made to dress Thorns in Nike.

Comment

Two reasons. First it would mean every female player would have to purchase a brand new kit even though most clubs do kit purchases on a two year cycle. This is a significant extra expense because unlike academy, players pay for their kits.

Second is the widespread and pervasive mistrust between alliance clubs and TA honchos. Alliance clubs joined an “alliance” only to see the GDA program siphon off their best players for a program that most coaches feel is no better than what is offered at the alliance clubs. They saw those super teams come back and thump alliance clubs in OYSA that first year. And they hear stories from their ODP families about ODP morphing into a giant high pressure sales pitch where players are told they must go to academy or lose their soccer futures. In short, alliance clubs don’t trust any offers they get from alliance HQ anymore. They got fooled once but won’t again. And again, if you don’t believe me ask your club DOC.
        Unless "most Alliance clubs" means "Washington Timbers", which does seem to complain about being a feeder club (at least certain parents here have such an attitude)--this is a load of bull.

Westside embraces it's role as a feeder on the boys' side. Cony may be a pain in the ass to the folks at Peregrine (and to US Soccer as well), but it's not because WT wants the next Rubio Rubin to stick around and play on its U16 team. Eastside, likewise, seems to enjoy it's role as feeder. Neither of these two clubs are (these days) particularly strong on the girls side--WT has a few good age groups it acquired from Sherwood.

The other Alliance clubs--CFC and beyond--are far enough removed from Portland, and are from small enough cities and metros, that "talent drain" is far less of a problem.

Which leaves, arguably, Washington Timbers--close enough to Portland, but with more than a few noisy and vocal parents who dislike Peregrine.

Of course, part of me suspects that the above rant was written by the usual ECNL/Nike honks, deigning to speak on behalf of Alliance clubs.

Comment

Not completely right.Westside has had a contract in place with adidas for many years before the alliance. To this day, their agreement is with adidas because the WST contract includes a first-consideration clause for adidas to renew contracts, meaning that they have the right to know what any other vendor is offering and can provide a competing bid.

I vaguely remember Paulsen's wife as having something to do with Nike so the peace-offering was made to dress Thorns in Nike.
          Might also have something to do with the fact that Adidas sponsors MLS as a whole, and Nike sponsors the NWSL.

Comment

Then why has none of the Alliance clubs left the alliance?

Comment

Why would the clubs turn it down? All the female players I know, much prefer the Nike kits.
              Not the one's that play for the Thornz Asylum. Most of them are better suited to the boys Adidas kits.

Comment

Not the one's that play for the Thornz Asylum. Most of them are better suited to the boys Adidas kits.
                Wow, not only do you put down these ladies choices of club, and college. You are commenting negatively on their body shape. Shaming women is a hot topic these days.....

Comment

Then why has none of the Alliance clubs left the alliance?
                  Inertia? There aren’t any benefits are there?

Comment

Inertia? There aren’t any benefits are there?
                    not that I’ve ever heard.

Comment

Girls are now being dressed in Nike kits.

Comment

I heard Reebok?

Comment

It's pretty confusing because Westside is running the thorns but Eastside is also becoming the thorns. Not sure why the timbers kids soccer staff didn't want to run it anymore? Anyway, probably still the same program overall.
                          I’m sure they’ll release the lists once they get enough players for thorns. It has to be frustrating trying to get parents to pick up the phone or return calls. I’ve been there. I feel bad for them.

Comment

I’m sure they’ll release the lists once they get enough players for thorns. It has to be frustrating trying to get parents to pick up the phone or return calls. I’ve been there. I feel bad for them.
                            we've got the list. You mean they didn't send it to the GDA trolls? I wonder why. I also wonder why adults obsess over teenage girls? Creepy.

Comment

Wow, not only do you put down these ladies choices of club, and college. You are commenting negatively on their body shape. Shaming women is a hot topic these days.....
                              Are they ashamed of their body shape? If so, maybe they should do something about it...

Comment

Just keep hitting redial. Eventually they might pick up on accident.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X