Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving foot skills

My D played rec and town travel for years but moved to club soccer later than most of her teammates. She's fast, strong, unafraid of the ball, and has a better soccer IQ than most. What she lacks is good foot skills. Great at passing but if there's no teammates open, she loses the ball half the time as she can't get around defenders. It's holding her back. She's at the top of the B team but isn't going to move up without better foot skills. She asks for help but I didn't play and I don't know what to tell her. Any advice on this? She's more than willing to put in the work but we don't know what work to put in.

It's tough to explain or show if you can't yourself. Same with all walks of life. So, first, some credit for her to acknowledge it and you for looking to help.

I'd suggest these steps:

First, download some Coerver videos. Have her get on a hardwood floor, garage, etc. and just watch and practice. This should be constant. Watching TV and rolling a ball around on your foot becomes second nature. Eventually, she'll learn the confidence of knowing where the ball is based on how it feels, and then can know what to do with it without looking at it. My D always had a goal of "100-touches per day". Like anything, it's muscle-memory of learning and constantly repeating the steps so your body just does it vs. your mind thinking about it.

Second, integrate her into a futsal program. Brazilian Arts does a soccer/futsal camp over the summer, for example. But, there are other programs where this is a concentration. It's important to note that when using futsal, use it as a tool. It's NOT a replacement for soccer, unless that is your end goal. What will do is give a platform to get as many touches as possible in the amount of time available. I've never seen a futsal player who trained for more than a year who's skills don't outweigh someone who has had that exposure.

Last, and not something we ourselves have done (due to successes of the above) is a private training option.

How old is your D?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      she loses the ball half the time as she can't get around defenders.
      Just a note on this. If no team mate is open to receive a pass, your daughter should be looking to pass into space (ideally where a team mate is moving towards) or keep posession of the ball while team mates move into space (which is usually achieved by directing the ball away from the defender, not 'around').

Trying to take on a defender one v one should, in most situations happen only in the final 1/3 of the field.

Comment

My D played rec and town travel for years but moved to club soccer later than most of her teammates. She's fast, strong, unafraid of the ball, and has a better soccer IQ than most. What she lacks is good foot skills. Great at passing but if there's no teammates open, she loses the ball half the time as she can't get around defenders. It's holding her back. She's at the top of the B team but isn't going to move up without better foot skills. She asks for help but I didn't play and I don't know what to tell her. Any advice on this? She's more than willing to put in the work but we don't know what work to put in.
        Sending your kid out to the backyard to practice online drills is a start, but it probably won't get her more than 1/2 hr to an hour of on the ball time before she's done with it, which realistically isn't enough time on the ball. The real key for my kid was allowing him to have a ball at his feet at all times in the house. There are plenty of obstacles inside to dribble or cut around, especially if you have messy younger kids in the house, like we do. The tight spaces will force her to control the ball with quick pull-backs and roll-overs, etc., in order to not hit walls chair/table legs, and doors. Keep a few balls on each floor (don't limit to the basement) so she can always grab one as she's walking from room to room. She doesn't have to be running full speed through the house to improve, even just walking and using all parts of her foot to control the ball will be beneficial. After a few months, I'll bet you'll be surprise at the improvement.

Comment

^^^ Pets make great practice defenders.

Comment

Although I'd go 50/50 on whether or not this is a legit thread, I'll still simply advise that there are literally thousands of instructional videos on youtube. Many that can be done alone. If she won't put in the time to find them and do them, then I wouldn't be spending my hard earned money on club soccer.

Comment

Although I'd go 50/50 on whether or not this is a legit thread, I'll still simply advise that there are literally thousands of instructional videos on youtube. Many that can be done alone. If she won't put in the time to find them and do them, then I wouldn't be spending my hard earned money on club soccer.
              Always has to be one, I guess. Hope being nasty to a mom trying to point her daughter in the right direction made you feel good about yourself.

To those of you who actually answered, THANK YOU. I will be sharing these ideas with her after school. Also, thanks to the person who said she should be passing to space or holding the ball. She will pass to space but struggles with holding the ball. I guess that is more accurate in what she struggles with than truly trying to go around defenders, although she has tried and struggled with that as well. She is 13, so not very old but most of the girls on her team have been with the club since U9 or U10. Feels like she's playing catch up in certain areas.

Comment

Juggle Juggle Juggle,

start with 10/25/50/100,

Comment

1. Futsal (find a weekly training group, not a team) - look up Brazilian Schools to see if they have one by you
                  2. YouTube fast feet soccer drills or get her the techne football app on her phone (at 13 i assume she has one)
                  3. Juggling all day long - it definitely helps touch and comfort
                  4. general agility work in the yard

She may have a late start but it is not impossible. She should be doing this for an hour a day at least, including days she has team practice.

Comment

I'll disagree with juggling. I've seen a kid who can juggle a tennis ball all day; her parents brag about it. She has no clue how to play soccer.

I get it's part of an understanding of the feel of a ball and how it is around your feet, but there I'd suggest keeping the ball on the floor and working footskills that way.

"Technique is not being able to juggle a ball 1000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is passing the ball with one touch, with the right speed, at the right foot of your team mate."

-Johan Cruyff

Comment

Always has to be one, I guess. Hope being nasty to a mom trying to point her daughter in the right direction made you feel good about yourself.

To those of you who actually answered, THANK YOU. I will be sharing these ideas with her after school. Also, thanks to the person who said she should be passing to space or holding the ball. She will pass to space but struggles with holding the ball. I guess that is more accurate in what she struggles with than truly trying to go around defenders, although she has tried and struggled with that as well. She is 13, so not very old but most of the girls on her team have been with the club since U9 or U10. Feels like she's playing catch up in certain areas.
                      Exactly what was insensitive? You do know their are trolls who simply create threads to add clicks to websites, don't you?

And my advice was still the best you've gotten. She should go to youtube and find drills AND do them. I feel bad for your daughter if it offends you to say that if my son or daughter wouldn't be willing to do that then I wouldn't pay for their club soccer. It's life honey. You get out of it what you put into it.

...couldn't resist the 'honey' line given your level of pc. How was I supposed to know, by the way, in my first post, that you were a woman? And are you saying that women should be treated different than men on even a soccer thread? Very sexist of you.

Comment

The problem is, d!ck, that nowhere did the OP say her daughter wasn't willing to do anything.

I got the impression in her previous experience with the game that it wasn't sufficient. Only now, when she's in a more competitive environment, does one realize it. Not the first or last time this has happened. So, she took a gamble and asked the question.

It appears YOU went ahead and said filled in some blanks that weren't there.

It should be noted if you don't know what you are looking for, hunting through YouTube blindly is a good way to kill several hours. Kudos to the OP for asking something to get her started.

Comment

The problem is, d!ck, that nowhere did the OP say her daughter wasn't willing to do anything.

I got the impression in her previous experience with the game that it wasn't sufficient. Only now, when she's in a more competitive environment, does one realize it. Not the first or last time this has happened. So, she took a gamble and asked the question.

It appears YOU went ahead and said filled in some blanks that weren't there.

It should be noted if you don't know what you are looking for, hunting through YouTube blindly is a good way to kill several hours. Kudos to the OP for asking something to get her started.
                          More sensitive flowers heard from.

How difficult would it be to type 'improve soccer footskills' into the youtube search bar (what the op put in original post)? How many times do you think the girl has put more effort into other much less important searches on youtube? So forgive me for jumping a step ahead and trying to explain that children have to learn to fend for themselves, especially when it is something not too difficult, which this certainly is. Wow I feel bad for the kids today whose parents treat them like porcelain dolls.

...fwiw, I'd bet you the ranch that mom does exactly what I said and is thrilled with all of the very well done videos she finds. I won't expect a thank you.

Comment

More sensitive flowers heard from.

How difficult would it be to type 'improve soccer footskills' into the youtube search bar (what the op put in original post)? How many times do you think the girl has put more effort into other much less important searches on youtube? So forgive me for jumping a step ahead and trying to explain that children have to learn to fend for themselves, especially when it is something not too difficult, which this certainly is. Wow I feel bad for the kids today whose parents treat them like porcelain dolls.

...fwiw, I'd bet you the ranch that mom does exactly what I said and is thrilled with all of the very well done videos she finds. I won't expect a thank you.
                            This is the problem with this site. There is a person, with admitted lack of knowledge of the game, who's daughter has been poorly trained to this point (sorry tot he OP, but that's the truth). Sounds like the kid loves the game. So, they ask a question.

Just a simple question, looking for someone who maybe has some experience in a similar path some suggestions. Most offered them. Why does it always have to be about trying to make someone look foolish?

It has nothing to do with treating kids like porcelain dolls. It's about not being an ******* to your fellow human.

Comment

This is the problem with this site. There is a person, with admitted lack of knowledge of the game, who's daughter has been poorly trained to this point (sorry tot he OP, but that's the truth). Sounds like the kid loves the game. So, they ask a question.

Just a simple question, looking for someone who maybe has some experience in a similar path some suggestions. Most offered them. Why does it always have to be about trying to make someone look foolish?

It has nothing to do with treating kids like porcelain dolls. It's about not being an ******* to your fellow human.
                              I searched on youtube and the poster is correct. Many excellent videos are there dealing with soccer footskills, which is what the OP asked for. If it's now being an donkey hole by being direct yet helpful, then yes, you are 'sensitive flowers' treating your kids like porcelain dolls.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X