Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facility

Serious question: With the location of Concord NH being so centrally located, why don't GPS or SUSC build an outdoor turf facility there? They already have kids travel all over the state for NPL and DA programs. I would think a centrally located facility there could work and be a added draw especially if they rent it out to ODP, other clubs, or even the NHIAA for games / practices.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Serious question: With the location of Concord NH being so centrally located, why don't GPS or SUSC build an outdoor turf facility there? They already have kids travel all over the state for NPL and DA programs. I would think a centrally located facility there could work and be a added draw especially if they rent it out to ODP, other clubs, or even the NHIAA for games / practices.
    Would love to see it.

Looks like they took the position to buy the clubs in the area and use existing facilities already there. Building turf fields are expensive, I've been involved in it. Yes, it does have a positive ROI in the long run, but up front it's easier (for now) to just slap their title on existing club and use what's there.

But, also, they aren't looking as north of Manchester being the target; instead, they are looking into the North Shore to expand. It's about getting something in front of the most people, and northern NH just doesn't have the population to support it vs. going south.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Would love to see it.

Looks like they took the position to buy the clubs in the area and use existing facilities already there. Building turf fields are expensive, I've been involved in it. Yes, it does have a positive ROI in the long run, but up front it's easier (for now) to just slap their title on existing club and use what's there.

But, also, they aren't looking as north of Manchester being the target; instead, they are looking into the North Shore to expand. It's about getting something in front of the most people, and northern NH just doesn't have the population to support it vs. going south.

Just my opinion.

This.... but also, why dilute it further? If you are on a top team (SUSC or GPS) then you would be practicing at the MAIN facility (whether that's Bedford, Epping or any "new facility" location). If you start building turf fields in other areas within driving distance to the main facility... all you are doing is diluting the talent of those teams. We are already fighting for talent and keeping our teams competitive in NH, why push it further?

Comment

Sounded like, to me, the request would be to centralize the facilities in the state better in an attempt to get more from all over.

A nice thought, but reality is if you have to be within an hour of the White Mountains or an hour of Boston, you are going to chose Boston all the time.

Comment

Sounded like, to me, the request would be to centralize the facilities in the state better in an attempt to get more from all over.

A nice thought, but reality is if you have to be within an hour of the White Mountains or an hour of Boston, you are going to chose Boston all the time.
          I guess if you look at it form a POV where Hooksett or Concord Area being centrally located you could draw more than you already have.

I know that SU in Concord uses NHTI fields already. What about converting 50/50 with NHTI and SU paying to convert one of the fields there to turf with lights? They partner up on the field - SU obviously gets priority booking and use while NHTI and SU split the $ made on renting the field out to area HS teams for LAX and soccer. NHTI can play and train there, SU gets another stream of revenue...

Comment

I guess if you look at it form a POV where Hooksett or Concord Area being centrally located you could draw more than you already have.

I know that SU in Concord uses NHTI fields already. What about converting 50/50 with NHTI and SU paying to convert one of the fields there to turf with lights? They partner up on the field - SU obviously gets priority booking and use while NHTI and SU split the $ made on renting the field out to area HS teams for LAX and soccer. NHTI can play and train there, SU gets another stream of revenue...

My guess, and it's only a guess, why not = $$$ to do that vs. getting a player isn't worth it to them. There are players from Concord already going to Epping. North of that? Isn't worth it.

Just a guess.

Who knows, maybe a press release will hit tomorrow where they are doing just that....

Comment

Su is trying to build fields off 93 in Andover.

Comment

I'm not sure if this if true or not, but my perception was that in the past at the higher levels, where rosters are made up of players spread across a wide regional area, the majority of the players were from Southern Maine/Portsmouth/Hampton/Exeter areas. Since our kid has started at the club, I've noticed a shift with many kids now coming from the Manchester & Concord areas. It's really great to see that the reach for players is expanding. That said, I think Epping is still located somewhat centrally between players coming from the ME/NH/MA coasts and those coming from Concord/Manchester/Nashua (plus, the facility is already established there).

Comment

I'm not sure if this if true or not, but my perception was that in the past at the higher levels, where rosters are made up of players spread across a wide regional area, the majority of the players were from Southern Maine/Portsmouth/Hampton/Exeter areas. Since our kid has started at the club, I've noticed a shift with many kids now coming from the Manchester & Concord areas. It's really great to see that the reach for players is expanding. That said, I think Epping is still located somewhat centrally between players coming from the ME/NH/MA coasts and those coming from Concord/Manchester/Nashua (plus, the facility is already established there).
                  I think your impression is probably correct. They were a "Seacoast"-based team. As they expanded, naturally that meant Manchester and Concord since that's where the population is.

Also, GPS used to provide more competition since there wasn't necessarily a need to go to Epping. Almost like SU had the coastal area, and GPS had the central. Of late, the more crossing of the unwritten demarcation has been happening. Probably not a bad thing.

And, yes, from what I see on our teams Epping probably is most centrally located. There are players from Manchester and Maine, so it splits it pretty well. I'd be curious if they gain a foothold into North Shore, MA if Amesbury becomes bigger base for them.

Also, I wanted to clarify some of my posts - I don't disagree with the OP's post or even the theory behind it. I was answering the "why", and that's down to $$ and what they expect to get out of it is my opinion.

Comment

If people perceive it to be worth the drive, they will do it. It's really that simple. As soon as you start putting fields up in different areas, you are diluting the talent... The few that you may pick up may be offset by the numbers who say forget it, I'm done - in the case of a player from Maine (as an example) whose team is now moving his/her main training facility to Andover, Concord, etc.

Comment

Su is trying to build fields off 93 in Andover.
                      Andover NH?

Comment

Andover Ma

Comment

Central to what? 80% of the New Hampshire population is not central to Concord!

Comment

Ashland would be the geographic center of New Hampshire

Comment

Central to the majority of towns and regions of the state. 60% of the states population is just south of concord, yes - thank you for the demographics lesson.

Centrally located to the areas of soccer interest and kids who play. Yes Nashua and southern NH have more people but not necessarily more kids playing soccer. \

If SU wants to grow the sport they need to expand their reach in the central part of the state. I find it funny that they invest in SU North in the White Mountains but not (seriously invested) in the Concord area. The SU Concord indoor facility is a joke and is better suited for their baseball programs. NHTI fields are no better than local high school fields.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X