Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODP/RTC a complete waste of time & money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    GDA mandates a minimum of 4 training sessions per week.
    Lol it's worked so well on the boys side. I can see why it should be replicated for thr girls

Comment

If our team is training 4x per week and yours only 2x per week, we'll be pulling away from your team very quickly. Time to get with the program - or join Thorns Academy and play silver division at Beaverton Cup.
      Isn't Thorns Academy 4x/week?

Comment

Last year was awful. Complete waste of time. Is there any value anymore?
        They continue to get parents with the brag factor. Telling office mates your daughter is in ODP is quite and ego boost.

Comment

Last year was awful. Complete waste of time. Is there any value anymore?
          One of the biggest waste of time that they do is RTC training. That time should be spent getting the state teams ready for competition. It's just one of many problems though.

Comment

One of the biggest waste of time that they do is RTC training. That time should be spent getting the state teams ready for competition. It's just one of many problems though.
            The general idea of rtc is good but execution is not good. Waste of time.

Comment

RTC ODP great for some. Everyone has different values. I bought my kid a ball and told him to kick it against a wall until it is worn out. Bought him many balls over the years and he wore many out. He did well in school received solid grades.
              Went to a couple of Id camps and now he plays college soccer. He loves soccer, the wall taught him more than limited touches at a crowded training session ever could. Find good club coach and listen. Watch soccer, get as many touches as possible and fall in love with the greatest team sport on the planet.

Comment

The general idea of rtc is good but execution is not good. Waste of time.
                The missing link appears to be lack of good coaches. It's very hard to good coaches to do RTC ODP. Makes it less than effective.

Comment

The missing link appears to be lack of good coaches. It's very hard to good coaches to do RTC ODP. Makes it less than effective.
                  When you only draw coaches from the Timbers Alliance clubs, that's what you get.

Comment

It's a vicious cycle - stronger players no longer participate 1) especially at the HS ages they're all in DA or ECNL and 2) the coaching isn't what it used to be/players feel they're getting little out of it -------> coaches don't want to participate because ODP has lost its luster -----> players don't want to participate because the coaching has gotten weaker/players feel they're getting little out of it.

It had remained better on the girls side - not what it once was but at least some ECNL girls participate. With GDA coming down the pike that won't be the case any longer. Without a complete revamp and greater financial support I'm not sure it will survive

Comment

It's a vicious cycle - stronger players no longer participate 1) especially at the HS ages they're all in DA or ECNL and 2) the coaching isn't what it used to be/players feel they're getting little out of it -------> coaches don't want to participate because ODP has lost its luster -----> players don't want to participate because the coaching has gotten weaker/players feel they're getting little out of it.

It had remained better on the girls side - not what it once was but at least some ECNL girls participate. With GDA coming down the pike that won't be the case any longer. Without a complete revamp and greater financial support I'm not sure it will survive
                      It's no longer clear that RTC/ODP is needed. Perhaps it was back in the 70's when every coach was a volunteer dad and every club was a rec club run by soccer moms. Maybe the best athletes back then needed something with better coaching and training than they could get at their home club. And, pre internet, maybe US Soccer needed a method to help identify the more talented players. None of that's the case anymore. ODP has run it's course and would be killed outright if it wasn't such a huge source of revenue for organizations like the Timbers.

Comment

It's no longer clear that RTC/ODP is needed. Perhaps it was back in the 70's when every coach was a volunteer dad and every club was a rec club run by soccer moms. Maybe the best athletes back then needed something with better coaching and training than they could get at their home club. And, pre internet, maybe US Soccer needed a method to help identify the more talented players. None of that's the case anymore. ODP has run it's course and would be killed outright if it wasn't such a huge source of revenue for organizations like the Timbers.
                        Winner!

Comment

Without good coaches it is a waste of time. Possibly even counter productive.

Comment

Without good coaches it is a waste of time. Possibly even counter productive.
                            It's a waste of time. Pay for extra touches that only reinforce bad skills. You get a shirt though. I think they did away with the foam finger though.

Comment

It's a waste of time. Pay for extra touches that only reinforce bad skills. You get a shirt though. I think they did away with the foam finger though.
                              Without good coaching it is not productive. My daughter was not happy at all with coaching and that's what I heard from most other parents.

Comment

Without good coaching it is not productive. My daughter was not happy at all with coaching and that's what I heard from most other parents.
                                It's hard to recruit good coaches to odp since nobody really thinks it's valuable anymore. And the pay isn't good.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X