Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shift to Jan. 1 cutoff next year or year after?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if they mandate the change to birth year, the waivers rules will be changed because 5 months of birth date players (almost half the team) will end up seniors when the rest have moved on to college. Same at the 8th to 9th transition. Currently, only one month(August) so a few waivers works. That will no longer be the case. Rules will be changed to accommodate or too many of the Aug-dec born players will likely quit soccer. Two teenage years of no team availablability and suddenly going from oldest on team to youngest will tip the scales out of soccer's favor for many. Going to graduation year vs birth year would eliminate the problem altogether. USYSA will be changing many rules if we go to birth year because it will mess up so much. Also will have to change rules about the number of returning players on a team since many teams will be split in two.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Well, if they mandate the change to birth year, the waivers rules will be changed because 5 months of birth date players (almost half the team) will end up seniors when the rest have moved on to college. Same at the 8th to 9th transition. Currently, only one month(August) so a few waivers works. That will no longer be the case. Rules will be changed to accommodate or too many of the Aug-dec born players will likely quit soccer. Two teenage years of no team availablability and suddenly going from oldest on team to youngest will tip the scales out of soccer's favor for many. Going to graduation year vs birth year would eliminate the problem altogether. USYSA will be changing many rules if we go to birth year because it will mess up so much. Also will have to change rules about the number of returning players on a team since many teams will be split in two.
      that's a good point, how will that be handled, say current u14 team wins state and qualifies for regionals, try outs happen, age switch happens, all of the sudden that team headed to regionals is 50% new players so which team goes, the u14 team that only consists of half it's old players?

Comment

that's a good point, how will that be handled, say current u14 team wins state and qualifies for regionals, try outs happen, age switch happens, all of the sudden that team headed to regionals is 50% new players so which team goes, the u14 team that only consists of half it's old players?
        Only the roster that won state cup. Same as today even though teams change in between.

Comment

What are they going to do for the half of the team that is 8th graders & the other half go off to 9th grade. Same for half the team of seniors when half the birth year have already graduated & are off to college?? This is going to be a cluster unless they leave it as is, phase it in w/uLittles & grandfather so they can figure it out, or change to graduation year for all youth soccer except elite US youth national team, etc.

Comment

What are they going to do for the half of the team that is 8th graders & the other half go off to 9th grade. Same for half the team of seniors when half the birth year have already graduated & are off to college?? This is going to be a cluster unless they leave it as is, phase it in w/uLittles & grandfather so they can figure it out, or change to graduation year for all youth soccer except elite US youth national team, etc.
            Therein lies the rub. Other countries that have calendar year age cutoffs for soccer also have calendar year (Jan 1) cutoff for school...

Comment

Still dont see anything on ussf website, but this is from a soccer news site that looks like more than just a blog

U.S. women’s youth programs will also move to birth-year specific programming in 2015. That will include playing more international youth matches, something Heinrichs said the U.S. lacks in comparison to Europe. The U.S. will host two annual youth tournaments, one of which is the upcoming U-17 tournament in Carson, Calif.

http://equalizersoccer.com/2015/01/3...nwsl-training/

Anybody see anything remotely official?

Comment

There are little tidbits of information starting to surface, like this one from Idaho Youth Soccer

http://www.idahoyouthsoccer.org/stor...cy-introduced/

this from Michigan Youth Soccer

http://www.michiganyouthsoccer.org/A....aspx?did=4305

and the CalSouth info that was linked earlier in this thread.

Comment

There's also something on a north Carolina soccer board, where an official with the north Carolina soccer association posted very similar information to the links above. I can try to find the link later when I'm at my computer. I may have gotten it from the birth year discussion on The Back Of The Net.

Comment

This was probably already discussed, but I'm too lazy to scroll through the thread. Will this effect high school soccer at all? Or does this just give the kids on the younger end of their current age group an extra year in club?

Comment

No effect on high school.

Comment

I'm not understanding how this is any more unfair for players than it already has been. My daughter has a June birthday and is always one of the youngest on the team. She's a pretty good player, but if it goes to the year birthdate cut-off, it will definitely benefit her and she will become one of the stronger players. As of now, the players born in the calendar year before hers tend to be the stronger players. Seems someone will always gain an advantage regardless of how the rule is written. Am I wrong?

Comment

I'm not understanding how this is any more unfair for players than it already has been. My daughter has a June birthday and is always one of the youngest on the team. She's a pretty good player, but if it goes to the year birthdate cut-off, it will definitely benefit her and she will become one of the stronger players. As of now, the players born in the calendar year before hers tend to be the stronger players. Seems someone will always gain an advantage regardless of how the rule is written. Am I wrong?
                          you are not wrong but why change it, it's not going to change anything other who gets the slight age advantage in some cases your daughter is currently one who is at a disadvantage and while mine is a December birthday I would fight hard to leave it like it is so you see no one wins either way so you might as well leave it be

Comment

and actually right now, your daughter has it better off than mine, she has one disadvantage at the club level, if she tries out for an RTC team or something like that that already goes by birth year she is no longer disadvantaged. My December kid if the change happens gets 2, the youngest on the club team and the youngest trying out for a RTC/ODP type spot. At least now there is a bit of balance

Comment

How long will clubs wait to announce these changes?

Comment

you are not wrong but why change it, it's not going to change anything other who gets the slight age advantage in some cases your daughter is currently one who is at a disadvantage and while mine is a December birthday I would fight hard to leave it like it is so you see no one wins either way so you might as well leave it be
                                Some of the kids will not be starters anymore and become a off the bench player if they want to stay on the a team or they will be starters on the b team. Depending on the age you might see some get discourage and decide to try some other sport.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X