Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastside Timbers Developmental Philosophy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastside Timbers Developmental Philosophy?

Go to their website. Third item in "News and Updates" is "Developmental Philosophy". Click on "Read More" and what do you get? "Sorry, that page was not found."

Too funny but too accurate.

I don't know why everyone believes that Eastside doesn't develop good players. They do not have the population base that the West side enjoys and therefore they do not have as many players to choose from. They focus more on the boys side but they have developed many successful players over the years that have added value to high school age teams on the west side.

I think that those who don't believe EST develops players has no affiliation with them and pokes fun based on high school age girl teams or the lack thereof. EST provided an excellent foundation for my children and helped them to go on to successfully play in college.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I don't know why everyone believes that Eastside doesn't develop good players. They do not have the population base that the West side enjoys and therefore they do not have as many players to choose from. They focus more on the boys side but they have developed many successful players over the years that have added value to high school age teams on the west side.

I think that those who don't believe EST develops players has no affiliation with them and pokes fun based on high school age girl teams or the lack thereof. EST provided an excellent foundation for my children and helped them to go on to successfully play in college.
      They don't have the population base? They're basically the only show in town east of the river.

Comment

You should start a thread about all the college successes.

Comment

They don't have the population base? They're basically the only show in town east of the river.
          While the only show in town they are still predominated by tree farms. Eastside focuses more on the boys side of soccer at the older age groups. Even so, there have been a few very good high school age girl's teams that have cropped up from time to time.

EST has not been successful at retaining their better female players and they have had many. I agree with the other poster who suggested that the population of Gresham kids who can afford competitive soccer is far outweighed by the west side affluence. As such, little Sally has to go somewhere else once she gets to a certain level.

As a parent who has raised 5 kids on the Eastside I have to say the mentality is a little more country and there really are not near as many parents willing to shell out crazy $$$ for their children's sports. You would be more likely to find affluent country kids participating in snowsports, motocross and equestrian. This is my observation. Even so, I too believe that as a soccer club EST has done well by its youngers.

Comment

Wt-fc

OK I see you guys giving East Timbers some grief but as a WT-FC parent can you guys give any feedback on Brett Jacobs as I just can't get a handle on this guy for the none soccer people he is god but I just don't see it. Any takers for info on this guy from an East side point of view????

Comment

Is Brett at Eastside now? I thought he was Vancouver,.

I am familiar with him from Bend Timbers. My hopes were very high given his expansive resume. My expectations were also high given he was replacing my favorite DOC, John O'Sullivan. I can't speak for anyone else but i was disappointed. I didn't get the sense that he was actively involved with the kids and the tournaments like his predecessor. I just figured that he had not acclimated to youth sports and that he would probably change when he left Bend ... perhaps not.

Comment

You should start a thread about all the college successes.
                We could call it "Why Community College Soccer and NAIA are better than D1"

Comment

I am surprised that you believe that there are more affluent families on the Westside. I am looking at the boys side of soccer and have always assumed Eastside had the families with more money. Westside has many kids on scholarships.

Comment

I am surprised that you believe that there are more affluent families on the Westside. I am looking at the boys side of soccer and have always assumed Eastside had the families with more money. Westside has many kids on scholarships.
                    You may be talking about Westside as a club and not the geographical area. Do you find Gresham more affluent than Beaverton?

Comment

Westside also wins.

Comment

When we left EST we were proudly informed that EST provided more scholarships than any other metro area club. This was the reason they were not willing to consolidate high school competitive teams age groups to make more competitive teams and to retain talent.

It is all relative. Gresham has some poor areas and some very nice areas. When you push out into the country (affluent) you get more of the family land/ nursery crowd and most just are not that in to soccer. It is a different mindset rather than a socioeconomic situation.

Comment

Westside also wins.
                          Eastside over the years have fielded some highly decorated teams. No club, team , Fill in the blank, wins everything forever. It is cyclical.

Comment

Westside will give scholarships so that great players who can't afford to play can play. Westside wins because they support many of these talented boys who couldn't afford to play otherwise.

Comment

So they actually have their "philosophy" posted at this link

http://www.eastsidetimbers.com/developmentalphilosophy

although it reads as if it was simply copied from somewhere else and isn't Eastside specific in the slightest. It also fails to provide even a basic framework for how this "philosophy" is to be implemented and measured at Eastside.

Same deal with Washington Timbers. Their "philosophy" is posted at

http://www.eastsidetimbers.com/developmentalphilosophy

and reads much like the one from Eastside. Again there is nothing to suggest that they have any idea how to turn this philosophy into reality.

There are clubs, leagues, and even entire associations that have successfully taken philosophies similar to those posted above and actually created an environment (through club/team structure, coaching, league rules, standard periodization, etc.) that put the philosophies into practice and have actually seen huge improvements in player development.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X