Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should my Daughter join a Club that plays in the ECNL?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    When it comes to explaining, or perhaps understanding, Lisa has little idea of what she is talking about. Yes, D-1 has 14 women's full scholarships and D-2 has 9.9. But these scholarships can be broken into segments and given to players in partial amounts. So, each year, (something Lisa implies is for four years), 28 players could have 50% of Cost of Attendance women's soccer scholarships. That's right, COA which equals tuition, books, fees, room and board (at the colleges dorms, cheaper with roommates in an apartment), misc. like an occasional pizza and/or health/beauty products plus estimated travel costs to home and back. 50% equals more like 60%+ of real expenses. My DD's book allowance of $400 each year paid for all new books which cost 4 or 5 times as much.

Revenue generated by women's soccer doesn't enter into the fact that nearly any college program you select is fully funded. Only short-bus students aren't academically eligible unless they only took basket weaving in high school. Those that struggle to meet academic requirements won't make it through college. Most of the advice by Lisa is pretty much worthless.
    It's not advice, it's her view point. If you don't like it, then you can ignore it. However she hit the mark an many aspects. I know as an ECNL Kool Aid drinker, you have a problem with this, however as a parent who looks at the entire spectrum of an issue before making a decision, she is clearly more thoughtful than you are. The issues she brings up are but a few of the issues that parents should consider. Just like when U11 parents are deciding if they should go to select clubs or stay back and do lower, less costly and less time consuming levels of soccer (or swimming or golf or tennis or basketball or.......). I know that when you are a fool with money, you don't think about things until afterward. But for the intelligent decision makers, they consider all of the issues before deciding a course of action. Now Tom, go to bed before you make a bigger fool of yourself than you already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      When it comes to explaining, or perhaps understanding, Lisa has little idea of what she is talking about. Yes, D-1 has 14 women's full scholarships and D-2 has 9.9. But these scholarships can be broken into segments and given to players in partial amounts. So, each year, (something Lisa implies is for four years), 28 players could have 50% of Cost of Attendance women's soccer scholarships. That's right, COA which equals tuition, books, fees, room and board (at the colleges dorms, cheaper with roommates in an apartment), misc. like an occasional pizza and/or health/beauty products plus estimated travel costs to home and back. 50% equals more like 60%+ of real expenses. My DD's book allowance of $400 each year paid for all new books which cost 4 or 5 times as much.

Revenue generated by women's soccer doesn't enter into the fact that nearly any college program you select is fully funded. Only short-bus students aren't academically eligible unless they only took basket weaving in high school. Those that struggle to meet academic requirements won't make it through college. Most of the advice by Lisa is pretty much worthless.
      Clearly the concepts of budgets and academic finances are beyond you. You see, just because a University HAS 14 scholardships, they don't necessarily SPEND 14 scholarships in a given year. A soccer program might only have a budget for 10 in a given year due to the overall budget for the University. You see, the athletic program has to reimburse the Univeristy for what they give to their athletes. You probably just think that scholarships are FREE MONEY. They aren't. Every student costs the University. So yes, there can be up to 14 full rides or various partials, but that doesn't mean that a school has the BUDGET for 14 scholarships. I know that budgets are difficult to understand for non-finance people, but they exist and they are followed, at least at well managed companies and institutions.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X