Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia Rips US Women's Soccer

While this comes across as sour grapes, I feel like there is some truth to this underneath. Agree or disagree?

"The USA, well, they just aren’t that good"

"The US certainly like to talk a good game. The reality is they play a fairly rudimentary, bog-standard 4-4-2, were short of ideas going forward and outmanoeuvred tactically. ‘Play it long and look for the head of Wambach’ seems the default game-plan for a team stuck in the past."

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    While this comes across as sour grapes, I feel like there is some truth to this underneath. Agree or disagree?

"The US certainly like to talk a good game. The reality is they play a fairly rudimentary, bog-standard 4-4-2, were short of ideas going forward and outmanoeuvred tactically. ‘Play it long and look for the head of Wambach’ seems the default game-plan for a team stuck in the past."
    all the best female athletes in the US play other sports

Comment

I think they are old and tired. The style of soccer played is boring at best.

Comment

I think they are old and tired. The style of soccer played is boring at best.
        If by 'they' you mean Wambach, then you have hit the nail on the head. She has lost a step and so has their scoring punch.

Comment

If by 'they' you mean Wambach, then you have hit the nail on the head. She has lost a step and so has their scoring punch.
          She should not be a starter. She should be a sub and come in at about 65 minutes.

Comment

I don't get the mentality of it use to work so we keep doing the exact same thing... even when it no longer works.

There is little doubt that there are numerous highly skilled players who are chomping at the bit to be given the experience and playing time. Ridiculous not to at least try.

These days I cringe when I watch.

Comment

The US won 3-1. It's by definition sour grapes. Perhaps those tactics were chosen because that's all they needed to beat Australia. They scored 3 without Wambach's head. Let's see what happens against Sweden; that will answer way more questions. Hopefully Wambach is watching from the sideline.

Comment

The US won 3-1. It's by definition sour grapes. Perhaps those tactics were chosen because that's all they needed to beat Australia. They scored 3 without Wambach's head. Let's see what happens against Sweden; that will answer way more questions. Hopefully Wambach is watching from the sideline.
                They scored 3 goals without a forward even getting a sniff. Good thing Rapinoe was in the game because the constant long balls over the top don't work anymore...

Comment

They scored 3 goals without a forward even getting a sniff. Good thing Rapinoe was in the game because the constant long balls over the top don't work anymore...
                  Long ball still works. US will win this world cup going away. You soccer guys are a joke. Go FC!!!!

Comment

What's funny to me is that it's the same conversation that takes place here everyday. About girls youth soccer. USA vs Sweden could be OYSA v OPL, Thorns Academy v ECNL, Portland teams vs the lowly teams from outside of Portland. USA vs Australia is Oregon vs Vancouver or maybe Eastside. It's all quite comical.

Comment

Long ball still works. US will win this world cup going away. You soccer guys are a joke. Go FC!!!!
                      Thanks Tom. Go to sleep now.

Comment

If the US aren't that good then Australia should beat them.

Comment

If the US aren't that good then Australia should beat them.
                          I agree. But what about Australia's point about USA being a kick it long team. They seem to be saying that USA relies on kick and run and athleticism to win games.

We debate all day long about quality soccer versus kick and run on these boards. Does the USWNT care about playing quality soccer or winning the game? Are the US athletes just better athletes but have not been developed? I don't know the answer. But we spend a lot of time trashing youth teams that win with 'kick and run'. At some point, maybe U14? Wins and losses should start to matter more.

For me, while I too prefer a beautiful, built up goal (did you see the USMNT 30+ passes leading to a goal against Germany?!), tactically, it is sometimes smarter soccer to find a sprinting forward with a long ball.

Comment

I agree. But what about Australia's point about USA being a kick it long team. They seem to be saying that USA relies on kick and run and athleticism to win games.

We debate all day long about quality soccer versus kick and run on these boards. Does the USWNT care about playing quality soccer or winning the game? Are the US athletes just better athletes but have not been developed? I don't know the answer. But we spend a lot of time trashing youth teams that win with 'kick and run'. At some point, maybe U14? Wins and losses should start to matter more.

For me, while I too prefer a beautiful, built up goal (did you see the USMNT 30+ passes leading to a goal against Germany?!), tactically, it is sometimes smarter soccer to find a sprinting forward with a long ball.
                            USWNT doesn't have the ability to possess the ball when playing any team ranked in the top 15 or so. They are built around being able to hit it long and hoping a forward can track it down. As has become obvious over the last few years, the countries that can "posses with a purpose" have caught up and passed the USWNT. Time to put most of the current roster out to pasture and start fresh with a new lineup and a new coaching philosophy.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with either approach, except the long ball really only works from U14 down if your team is made up of the big, fast kids that got the growth spurt early. The USWNT has gotten away with that style for over a decade, but now they're old and it's not as effective. Australia actually looked better then the U.S. did for most of that match. However, things looked much better after Tobin went in .

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X