Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Most of these situations are driven by parents who want to see more wins and nothing more. Coaching and training at Crossfire/WPFC is no better or worse than at the Portland ECNL clubs. Competition is the same. Exposure to college coaches is the same. It's all about the wins. Some would say it's a bit shortsighted.
    Not driven by wins rather level of play. There is a night and day difference between playing on a team where all the players are excellent than playing on a team with 3 or 4 excellent players, another 3-4 very good players and then a bunch of filler that are necessary to have numbers but bring the level of play way down. Like others I have seen on this board I believe this is an issue that only the excellent players and Parents would understand. Beyond frustrating and it does prevent great players from playing similar to how it will be once they start playing in college.

Comment

It sounds pretty short-sighted to me. But if you've got tons of time and that's where you want to put your eggs, it's your choice as a parent. I'd hope the kids are up for it also.
      I'm not doubting the talent of a player who goes that route - if they're good enough to make the Seattle ECNL teams then they're certainly a good player. I'm just doubting the wisdom of that choice by the parent.
      Pretty sure this wasn't a decision done willy-nilly.

The skill level at the practices will be much higher, coaching probably better and much more exposure, if they are looking for that.

Comment

How much more exposure does a player need if they are already in the National team pool? I suspect it's way more about level of play. Could the same be achieved on a better local ecnl team that is a year or two older to avoid all the driving?

Comment

Not driven by wins rather level of play. There is a night and day difference between playing on a team where all the players are excellent than playing on a team with 3 or 4 excellent players, another 3-4 very good players and then a bunch of filler that are necessary to have numbers but bring the level of play way down. Like others I have seen on this board I believe this is an issue that only the excellent players and Parents would understand. Beyond frustrating and it does prevent great players from playing similar to how it will be once they start playing in college.
          Doesn't seem smart to go from being #1 on a team to #5 or 6 somewhere else. College coaches don't pay attention to those players.

Comment

Maybe Lewis & Clark coaches. D1 recruiters aren't stupid. They know how to evaluate players. Players get better by being challenged. Top teams from WA, CA, TX, etc send entire rosters to top schools. College coaches are usually only interested in the single top player on local teams because we don't have depth and the very top player is usually the only one with true D1 potential.

Comment

Maybe Lewis & Clark coaches. D1 recruiters aren't stupid. They know how to evaluate players. Players get better by being challenged. Top teams from WA, CA, TX, etc send entire rosters to top schools. College coaches are usually only interested in the single top player on local teams because we don't have depth and the very top player is usually the only one with true D1 potential.
              Keep justifying. Enjoy the drive.

Comment

You are correct. Additionally I might add that some of the girls that have chosen to go north to play for Washington ECNL teams were already committed prior to that decision. It can actually come down to level of play and the enjoyment derived from that play. Simple really.

Comment

You are correct. Additionally I might add that some of the girls that have chosen to go north to play for Washington ECNL teams were already committed prior to that decision. It can actually come down to level of play and the enjoyment derived from that play. Simple really.
                  Not sure how much you can enjoy the level of play when you are driving 3-4 hours to get there, doing homework or sleeping in the car or sleeping on your cousin's couch. My guess is performance will suffer. ECNL seems to be a huge time commitment even when you're playing local, girls struggle with missing other high school activities and social events, so throw in not being around because practice is 180 miles away and it doesn't sound ideal. Best of luck, I hope it works for her.

Comment

Not sure how much you can enjoy the level of play when you are driving 3-4 hours to get there, doing homework or sleeping in the car or sleeping on your cousin's couch. My guess is performance will suffer. ECNL seems to be a huge time commitment even when you're playing local, girls struggle with missing other high school activities and social events, so throw in not being around because practice is 180 miles away and it doesn't sound ideal. Best of luck, I hope it works for her.
                    Sounds like good training for college or the UWWNT. Pretty sure they endure some lengthy bus rides.

If you knew the kid(s), you would also know they will be just fine. Not just fine, they will excel.

Comment

Ummmmm, no, results will get worse this coming year. She was a game changer...you can't take a national pool player off of a roster and expect to get better.
                      You do realize you picked up two players from the Couv' that wouldn't make an "A" team at any of the top four teams in Oregon.
                      Well considering FC was the top team in Oregon for the last year, not sure how this statement has much merit.

Comment

Well considering FC was the top team in Oregon for the last year, not sure how this statement has much merit.

Well, if you lose one of the better players in the region and some support staff, but all you get back is more support staff, you run a pretty good chance of not being as good, let alone better.

Comment

Well, if you lose one of the better players in the region and some support staff, but all you get back is more support staff, you run a pretty good chance of not being as good, let alone better.
                          Sometimes that is correct, sometimes not. Time will tell.

Comment

Sure, you might not be as good but I'm just saying that even losing a couple of players, FC is still one of the top 4 teams in Oregon, so not sure how you can say that the Vanc girls can't hold their own there or whatever other posting deems as the remaining 3. So they indeed can make the "A" team of a top 4 team.

Comment

If you are driving 3-4 hours all the time. This is not the case with us. My DD trains locally and we drive for home games and she goes up for weekend training when it is feasible. It has greatly simplified our soccer experience because before we were constantly battling rides and traffic here in the metro area trying to get to the west side with little improvement in the level of play from our local club. Our preference would be consolidation of talent onto a team here in Oregon but it appears less likely now than ever. There are no ideal options. BTW: She runs track and plays high school basketball and does more school related things now that we are not tethered to a team's schedule. As I said it is actually simple now.

Comment

Sounds like good training for college or the UWWNT. Pretty sure they endure some lengthy bus rides.

If you knew the kid(s), you would also know they will be just fine. Not just fine, they will excel.
                                Exactly

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X